Hints of a game to come from BFS....

I'm not really adding to the debate here (sorry, pointless post)

I'd just like to add my thanks that someone is pushing gaming in this direction

Nothing's ever going to replace GR for me (even if only for sentimental reasons (sniff)) but it's nice to see a worthy continuation of the original ideas and concepts of the early games.

:thumbsup:

P.S.

And, take my advice:

Go ahead and bask in all the praise before the demands start appearing (I want university graduate AI's, I want a multiple LOD coffee cup, I want a 5000 poly shell casing................)

:lol:

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I believe it is time to make my presence known. I'am me. A SME (Subject Matter Expert) on all things "tactical." The rumor of this new game has drifted through my window and landed on my pillow and I cannot sleep. That is why I'am writing this at 2am so pardon the incorrect grammer and or punctuation. I would like to point out that there is a difference between SF "Special Forces" and SOF "Special Operations Forces". SF refers "only" to the US Army Green Berets. The US Air Force does not have SOF or SF. Anyway I'm not sure who John is referring to but GB in my mind could only be Green Berets/Army SF. Although I'm guessing it might be something more? Maybe some more kind of more "elite" Army force? Hmmm... Anyway, I must commend you John because it definitely sounds like your company has the right focus. I remember back when Grand Theft Auto 1 first came out and I was like, "Man these graphics suck, this game sucks..." But then I started playing and :o I was hooked. Why? Because its the gameplay that matters. Why do we play games? We know they are not real, it is our imagination that compells us and graphics will never become so real as to confuse us into thinking its real life, at least not for awhile, so we must rely on our imagination to complete the immersion. In order to become immersed in a videogame it must be realistic. In order to be realistic it must have certain attributes we know to be accurate and true. Physics, accurate weapon stats/effects, human behavior etc. I think games are definitely getting dumbed down and thats unfortunate because we all know its for greedy financial reasons. I will admit there is a balance between realism/entertainment though. Imagine playing a game where if you get shot and died you could never play it again :lol: I can remember playing [GR] so slowly and carefully because it was so easy to die and have to start over, it was very suspensful and I often found myself screaming like a girl :rolleyes:. I played like a real operator would. Careful and calculated. Look at RSV 3 guys against like 500 people who somehow have taken over Las Vegas and have all kinds of bombs... ummm :shifty: yeah right. That game should have never made it to PC that stupid piece of crap console ported son of a :wall: .............anyway... Every little detail to make a game more "realistic" will in turn make it more immersive. Why would that not appeal to a larger audience? Well because the more "realistic" it becomes the more difficult. Generally console gamers just want to sit down, grab a controller and have fun, they are not looking for "immersion." There is no "immersion" in Madden football, which is undoubtedly the most played game on any console, you don't think your the one playing, your just trying to win against your buddy. Look at how many buttons on a controller vs keyboard. PC gamers want to micromanage stuff! I want to have buttons to lean, peek, crouch, poop and whistle but console gamers just want crouch and shoot... and maybe poop. PC gamers are in it for the strategy and realism anybody disagree? Anyway, my fingers are giting tuired nad I tink I mihgt be geting delirus. So I'm gon go bed now. John good luck in your endeavor, I see you are very confident in the game with good right to be. Although I think this is quite a task to live up to, as the expectation of the PC gamer community is so strong, for that reason I will still have my doubts but I believe this is at least a step, well long stride in the right direction. man I don't even know if that sentence made sense... :blink: goodnight.

Every time i see those sort of trees i'm reminded of M01 Iron Dragon & ossetian woodlands ..was it ossetian woodlands? in [GR] or am i thinking of Battleborne's mod.

Not a coincidence as John had major input into both. :thumbsup:

Love the news of this game being in development. As soley a PC gamer I would like to make 1 suggestion during this production process.

Please make this game as ready for ladder and Tournament play upon release as possible. Its understandable to have some bugs that come up and can be fixed in a patch, but to release a game, that has to be made playable with patches after the fact will not cut it.

I have seen many games fail quickly because of this. I am a CM for Teamwarfare.com and have experience as a private contractor used by UBI for running Tournaments at major events like: WSVG, CPL and other Major Lan Events. This is the hardest thing in the world to do when a game is not matchable from the start.

Here are a few major problems with releases nowadays that stop them from growing and having a long life span.

1) SADS files (stand alone dedicated server files) #1 reason a game fails to date

2) Admin commands ie... pw server, kick, ban, restart server, select map.

3) Having some sort of anti cheat program whether it be PB or your own design.

4) A usable and informative server browser (server name, # players, ping to server)

I know we may be a long ways away from this part of your build, I just wanted to throw this in the mix though in hopes that its noted and not forgotten.

Thanks,

Chris aka Ranger

Edited by NmA_Ranger

Love the news of this game being in development. As soley a PC gamer I would like to make 1 suggestion during this production process.

Please make this game as ready for ladder and Tournament play upon release as possible. Its understandable to have some bugs that come up and can be fixed in a patch, but to release a game, that has to be made playable with patches after the fact will not cut it.

I have seen many games fail quickly because of this. I am a CM for Teamwarfare.com and have experience as a private contractor used by UBI for running Tournaments at major events like: WSVG, CPL and other Major Lan Events. This is the hardest thing in the world to do when a game is not matchable from the start.

Here are a few major problems with releases nowadays that stop them from growing and having a long life span.

1) SADS files (stand alone dedicated server files) #1 reason a game fails to date

2) Admin commands ie... pw server, kick, ban, restart server, select map.

3) Having some sort of anti cheat program whether it be PB or your own design.

4) A usable and informative server browser (server name, # players, ping to server)

I know we may be a long ways away from this part of your build, I just wanted to throw this in the mix though in hopes that its noted and not forgotten.

Thanks,

Chris aka Ranger

Of course I cannot make any promises, but I have not forgotten some of the things that made early RSE titles so successful and what it takes to maintain a community and add longevity to a title.

A solid and mostly self supporting multi player community will be a cornerstone of most of our titles.

-John

Whoa this game looks very promising. We just caught wind of this project on the UBI forums. Needless to say alot of us (RLC) will be watching, hoping, waiting for a real thinking man's shooter to come from this project. GOOD WORK and GOOD LUCK!

Question: Will this game support DX10?

Whoa this game looks very promising. We just caught wind of this project on the UBI forums. Needless to say alot of us (RLC) will be watching, hoping, waiting for a real thinking man's shooter to come from this project. GOOD WORK and GOOD LUCK!

Question: Will this game support DX10?

I will not sugar coat things, we have a long tough road ahead of us. We are a small, but highly talented group of individuals who have "been there done that" in all manner of game development as well as real world Special Operations(At least one of us in that regard).

Hopefully more will become available soon.

thanks for your interest.

-John

Well I believe it is time to make my presence known. I'am me. A SME (Subject Matter Expert) on all things "tactical." The rumor of this new game has drifted through my window and landed on my pillow and I cannot sleep. That is why I'am writing this at 2am so pardon the incorrect grammer and or punctuation. I would like to point out that there is a difference between SF "Special Forces" and SOF "Special Operations Forces". SF refers "only" to the US Army Green Berets. The US Air Force does not have SOF or SF. Anyway I'm not sure who John is referring to but GB in my mind could only be Green Berets/Army SF. Although I'm guessing it might be something more? Maybe some more kind of more "elite" Army force? Hmmm... Anyway, I must commend you John because it definitely sounds like your company has the right focus. I remember back when Grand Theft Auto 1 first came out and I was like, "Man these graphics suck, this game sucks..." But then I started playing and :o I was hooked. Why? Because its the gameplay that matters. Why do we play games? We know they are not real, it is our imagination that compells us and graphics will never become so real as to confuse us into thinking its real life, at least not for awhile, so we must rely on our imagination to complete the immersion. In order to become immersed in a videogame it must be realistic. In order to be realistic it must have certain attributes we know to be accurate and true. Physics, accurate weapon stats/effects, human behavior etc. I think games are definitely getting dumbed down and thats unfortunate because we all know its for greedy financial reasons. I will admit there is a balance between realism/entertainment though. Imagine playing a game where if you get shot and died you could never play it again :lol: I can remember playing [GR] so slowly and carefully because it was so easy to die and have to start over, it was very suspensful and I often found myself screaming like a girl :rolleyes:. I played like a real operator would. Careful and calculated. Look at RSV 3 guys against like 500 people who somehow have taken over Las Vegas and have all kinds of bombs... ummm :shifty: yeah right. That game should have never made it to PC that stupid piece of crap console ported son of a :wall: .............anyway... Every little detail to make a game more "realistic" will in turn make it more immersive. Why would that not appeal to a larger audience? Well because the more "realistic" it becomes the more difficult. Generally console gamers just want to sit down, grab a controller and have fun, they are not looking for "immersion." There is no "immersion" in Madden football, which is undoubtedly the most played game on any console, you don't think your the one playing, your just trying to win against your buddy. Look at how many buttons on a controller vs keyboard. PC gamers want to micromanage stuff! I want to have buttons to lean, peek, crouch, poop and whistle but console gamers just want crouch and shoot... and maybe poop. PC gamers are in it for the strategy and realism anybody disagree? Anyway, my fingers are giting tuired nad I tink I mihgt be geting delirus. So I'm gon go bed now. John good luck in your endeavor, I see you are very confident in the game with good right to be. Although I think this is quite a task to live up to, as the expectation of the PC gamer community is so strong, for that reason I will still have my doubts but I believe this is at least a step, well long stride in the right direction. man I don't even know if that sentence made sense... :blink: goodnight.

There are a half dozen reason or more in your post that easily counter you self appointed claims as a SME. And anyone that actually knew what they are talking about would be aware that an item of clothing, i.e. a hat called a Green Beret, isn't Army SF. It is the qualified person that wears the hat. You would also know that Army SF is a SOF unit and that the AirForce also has SOF units. Hurlburt Field. Ding! Ding! Ding! Ring a bell? 24th STS that supports JSOC. Ding! Ding! DIng! Ring a bell? Those are just two of several. Have a nice time finding another forum on which to pose.

John,

Be ready for a chain reaction........(people asking questions) because this thread is out in the wild

There are posters @Ubi forums discussing the development of this game and also @3drage forums

This is good because there are people out there (aside from GR.Net members) looking for a good and

well made Tactical Shooter

Im exited about this game (I check this thread 5 times a day and the last time I did that for a game was when

this site went live months before the release of [GR])

Heya John, this is great news man! I remember communicating with you in the R6 forums at Redstorm many moons ago. I always thought you were a stand up kind of guy to actually communicate with the community. When I saw this I immediately posted a link in the R6:V forums at UBI. Most of the loyal R6 gamers there are pretty frustrated with UBI's lack of support, or even consideration for that matter.

Anyway, great to see you and great to see you sticking to your guns.

Here's a sig that Bravo1_CV made and is proudly pimping in the UBI forums...made me laugh.

GHOST_Sup?

blackfootforumjd0.jpg

I forgot to answer before about Dx10...... Honestly I don't know. I do know that we will support it by way of our engine license, but to what extent I'm not sure.

I do know this though, it will not be required and Vista certainly will not either.

-John

Heya John, this is great news man! I remember communicating with you in the R6 forums at Redstorm many moons ago. I always thought you were a stand up kind of guy to actually communicate with the community. When I saw this I immediately posted a link in the R6:V forums at UBI. Most of the loyal R6 gamers there are pretty frustrated with UBI's lack of support, or even consideration for that matter.

Here's a sig that Bravo1_CV made and is proudly pimping in the UBI forums...made me laugh.

GHOST_Sup?

blackfootforumjd0.jpg

I hate to tell you this, but I have had a link in my sig over there for the last few weeks and telling people that there are Hints of this game somewhere if one looks around. I have tried to do it unubtrusively as possible. I guess I am BFS's marketing department, building hype long before it needs to start. :FIREdevil:

My clan [CV] is very excited by the news that a serious Tactical FPS developer is taking our type of game seriously. We have long ago lost faith ib UBI. You are way ahead of the game just by communicating with the fans.

We'll be watching this thread closely. Looking forward to updates. Best of luck to BFS. :thumbsup:

GHOST_Sup?

blackfootforumjd0.jpg

LMAO..! As soon as I knew about Black Studios and the new projects, the first thing it came to my mind was the footprint over UBI's logo, sorry but I'm describing my honest thought :)

Feel free to wear this sig guys .... I would love to see the PC community show we have a hope for tactical shooter games... Keep it up Black Studios and re-take what you started :)

Edited by 1Bravo [CV]

Sorry i couldn't find the page to quote you but, you mentioned that the support will be mainly self community support. Does that mean you plan to provide a full sdk with the game at or near release? I know its gotta be way early for you to be certain, just checking to see if that you were implying ....and if so ...you are the greatest thing to happen to tactical shooters since ...well the RSE/clancy days of old. If you decide to take donations at some point to help with production cost ...in exchange for some kind of incentive later on ...lemme be the first to ask for your paypal. :D

good luck and many compliments on your concept and gamer values.

Sorry i couldn't find the page to quote you but, you mentioned that the support will be mainly self community support. Does that mean you plan to provide a full sdk with the game at or near release? I know its gotta be way early for you to be certain, just checking to see if that you were implying ....and if so ...you are the greatest thing to happen to tactical shooters since ...well the RSE/clancy days of old.

That is the plan. As you said, it's early so anything can happen though.

As a side, my 3 favorite game companies, as a developer and for various reasons, are:

Epic

Gearbox Software

RSE 1997-2001

Maybe that will give some insight to some of the inspiration for BFS.

You want HawkPrey style Space Marines jumping around in deathmatches, unfortunate soldiers fighting alien monstrosities while scientists teleport all over the place, and weird two part mission names like 'azure thunder'? :P

(More seriously, I'm a big fan of all three developers you mentioned. As always, interested in hearing more word of your development. :) )