My ideal PC upgrade

Operative47

the ASUS 680i SLI Striker looks like an awsome mobo with 3 PCI Express 16 slots, a copy of GRAW, and a pretty good onboard sound system. ME likey likey.

Nice find, thanks for the link.

SLI + PPU and room to spare. :thumbsup:

Offtopic, sorry, but what is the verdict on the Ageia PPUs anyway? Gimmick or worthwhile to consider for upgrade?

Pretty sure most people thing the Ageia PPUs are Gimmicks since I haven't heard anything about new games supporting them. The reason that the 680i has three PCIx16 slots it is rumored that nVidia is comign out with its own physics accelerator.

3 slots so you can do 2 video cards and take your 3rd video card and dedicated it to physics.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1943832,00.asp

3 GPU's, and Quad GPU's is amazing! What's next, video cards as big as a mobo?

Well ... have you heard of Nvidia's external GPU set up? :blink:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/01/nv...ls_quadro_plex/

nvidia_plex_1000_1.png

Nvidia's Quadro Plex 1000, a racked collection of GPUs in their own box, together capable of rendering 80bn pixels every second and powering monitors with a combined resolution of up to 148 megapixels.

It doesn't come cheap, mind - prices start at $17,500. Nvidia has three models on offer. Two contain two Quadro FX 5500 GPUs, while the mid-range version, the Model II, has two Quadro 4500 X2 GPUs - ie. four graphics cores.

Well ... have you heard of Nvidia's external GPU set up? :blink:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/01/nv...ls_quadro_plex/

nvidia_plex_1000_1.png

Nvidia's Quadro Plex 1000, a racked collection of GPUs in their own box, together capable of rendering 80bn pixels every second and powering monitors with a combined resolution of up to 148 megapixels.

It doesn't come cheap, mind - prices start at $17,500. Nvidia has three models on offer. Two contain two Quadro FX 5500 GPUs, while the mid-range version, the Model II, has two Quadro 4500 X2 GPUs - ie. four graphics cores.

yeah it's insane with an insane price

• 2 weeks later...

Well i know at least 1 Video card manufacturer that make mainboards but isn't heard of much. EVGA.

I own both a EVGA motherboard and video card. While their video cards are great (and the Step-Up program is awesome if you end up with a little extra cash and decided to do another upgrade within 3 months), their motherboards leave something to be desired. My nf41 board has some quirky issues that I can never seem to repeat. I also found out that this board is basically a re-branded Jetway board. Same with the nf47. Of the 680i boards, I'd rather go with one from Asus for $50 more considering the problems with motherboards that EVGA has had in the past.