Ghost Recon.net Forums

My ideal PC upgrade

I am going to do some hardware upgrades to my pc which I hope are going to last 3-4 years + be vista ready. The pic below shows my ideal upgrades from memoryexpress.com, what do u think and is it all compatible?

memoryexpresscomorderzr3.jpg

Edited by Operative47

A few things, since money is obviously not to much of an object, go with the Core 2 Duo x6800, not that much more expensive, and you will get a few more mhz out of it, unless of course you plan to overclock.

It seems like you live in Canada, I would suggest Newegg, for lower prices, but they don't ship to Canada.

On the PSU, I don't know about that PSU, I would go with something like a OCZ GameXStream 700W or a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W, not sure on the prices, but I do know that they will be of higher quality. They have few Watts, but it is the Amps on the 12v that really matter. The 8800 aren't that much more power hungry than the current gen of cards, and unless you plan on going SLi in the future, you don't need 1000w.

And yes, it should be able to handle games for about 2 years on high-ish settings. After that who knows.

Looks all good, except:

1. You don NOT need a 3rd party CPU cooler for a Core 2 Duo, so scratch the Zalman off your list. There have been reports the CPU runs so cool it doesn't even need a fan, even when you o/c it. I built a Core 2 Duo system last month and it was super quiet even with the stock fan. Now, cooling the 8800GTX is a different story ...

2. With a power rig like that, don't settle for onboard sound. Get a SB X-Fi with your system.

3. If you really want speed, consider getting a 10,000 rpm Raptor drive for you OS/games, and use the 500GB Seagate for data. FYI, there is a 750GB Barracuda too

http://maximumpc.com/2006/07/seagate_barracu_1.html

4. Get a DVD burner - if you want to save a few bucks, get an LG. If you want top of the line, get a Plextor

http://maximumpc.com/2005/03/plexwriter_px-7.html

the CPU runs so cool it doesn't even need a fan, even when you o/c it.

Then it hasn't been overclocked far enough ;)

You should ask the original poster if he plans to o/c. He is buying the 2nd highest end Core 2 so there is not much headroom to o/c anyway, and you won't get benefits of a higher FSB. If someone was serious about o/c'ing, you would be buying a bottom end Core 2 for cheaper and squeezing out as much juice as you could from it.

I saw the comments in your other thread and I'll say this: putting together a high-end system by yourself is not that easy if you haven't done it before, and you can run into serious problems with bent pins on your motherboard from improperly seating your CPU (some stores will void the warranty on your mobo/CPU if you try to put in the CPU yourself on a LG775 mobo).

It should be able to handle future games like GRAW:2, Half-life 3, Armed Assault 2, and Call of Duty 4 right?

Your system will likely run games decently in the next 2 years, but there is NO guarantee that your system will run new games "well" on highest settings. NO one can predict exactly how well your system can run future games until the games actually come out.

actually the e6600 is the bottom line of the "Conroe" cores, it has more cache than the lower C2D processors which make it a better overclocker than the lower C2D (which contain Allendale cores). but if he is going to overclock than the 6600 is a good choice. The conroe cores have 4 MB of cache while the Allendales only have 2 MB.

But Any C2D will beat anything else out there in the consumer CPU market.

actually the e6600 is the bottom line of the "Conroe" cores, it has more cache than the lower C2D processors which make it a better overclocker than the lower C2D (which contain Allendale cores). but if he is going to overclock than the 6600 is a good choice. The conroe cores have 4 MB of cache while the Allendales only have 2 MB.

I agree the E6600 is a better choice because of the larger cache, but your info is incorrect about the lower end Core 2 Duos.

The E6300 and E6400 are still Conroes, with 2MB L2 cache disabled. There has been much confusion about what is "Allendale" ... from what I gather, they are to be the E4xxx series to be released in 2007.

Read:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/e6300...ff/index.x?pg=1

The first of our two contestants is the Core 2 Duo E6300, the humblest of Intel's new Core 2 processors. Unlike its fancier big brothers, the E6300 has only 2MB of L2 cache to share between its two execution cores. You'll find plenty of sources that will tell you the code name for these 2MB Core 2 Duo processors is "Allendale," but Intel says otherwise. These CPUs are still code-named "Conroe," which makes sense since they're the same physical chips with half of their L2 cache disabled. Intel may well be cooking up a chip code-named Allendale with 2MB of L2 cache natively, but this is not that chip.

In terms of the PSU, I've had good experience with Enermax. However, the >550W PSUs are mainly for SLI. Are you planning on getting a second 8800GTX in the future?

I agree that it is the same core with it disabled, but them being disabled makes them behave differently. I am pretty sure that they are qualified as "Allendale" cores though, I have seen plenty of CPU-Z screenshots of 6300s and all of them are labeled as Allendale Cores whiel the higher ones are labeld Conroe.

But we should stop going back and forth on this, sure the guy doesn't want to read our little indifference here ;)

On the PSU, I'm not saying Enermax is bad, I am just saying if money isn't an object, why not go for the best, which I don't believe Enermax is, and money doesn't seem to be to much of a stopping point for this guy.

Edited by Kamakazi
On the PSU, I don't know about that PSU, I would go with something like a OCZ GameXStream 700W or a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W, not sure on the prices, but I do know that they will be of higher quality. They have few Watts, but it is the Amps on the 12v that really matter. The 8800 aren't that much more power hungry than the current gen of cards, and unless you plan on going SLi in the future, you don't need 1000w.

I do plan on going SLI in a year or 2, so thats why I figured I would buy a 1000W now instead of buying a 600w now and halfing to buy a 1000w later. I figure I am saving money this way, am I?

You don NOT need a 3rd party CPU cooler for a Core 2 Duo, so scratch the Zalman off your list. There have been reports the CPU runs so cool it doesn't even need a fan, even when you o/c it.

I don't plan on o/c for about year, cuz with this system I don't realy need to right now.

With a power rig like that, don't settle for onboard sound. Get a SB X-Fi with your system.

What are the benifits of going with an sound card instead of the onboard sound?

Get a DVD burner

I already have a DVD burner, 19" AOC monitor, speakers, and OS.

putting together a high-end system by yourself is not that easy if you haven't done it before, and you can run into serious problems with bent pins on your motherboard from improperly seating your CPU (some stores will void the warranty on your mobo/CPU if you try to put in the CPU yourself on a LG775 mobo).

I plan on having a licenced tech to install the hardware and software so that I don't void my warranty. The only problem is that they wanna charge $69.00 per hour for 3 hours service (1 hour hardware, 2 software).

but there is NO guarantee that your system will run new games "well" on highest settings

I dont expect to run games 2-3 years from now on the highest settings, but I do expect a decent FPS on medium settings.

On the PSU, I'm not saying Enermax is bad, I am just saying if money isn't an object, why not go for the best, which I don't believe Enermax is, and money doesn't seem to be to much of a stopping point for this guy

I just wanna get a good PSU so that I dont get any power issue's when I add a second card. Money is an issue that why I want these upgrades to last 3-4 years.

MORE QUESTIONS:

- Is it better for me to wait untill the Quad Core's hit the maket then buy a 6600, or maybe even a 6700?

- Is the MOBO, RAM, and CPU all compatible with eachother?

- Do I really need water cooling for the GPU?

Edited by Operative47

I'm not so sure about the whole installing it voids the warranty, if fact I know it doesn't, not the manufacturers warranty, I put together my computer and have had to inact a warranty twice now with no hitch (CPU and Hard Drive).

Officially Intel Quad Core's have been released, good luck trying to find one though, and it probably will affect the price of other Intel processors very little.

Yes they are all compatible, the mobo is (arguably) the best motherboard out there right now for Core 2 Duos.

No, you don't need watercooling for the 8800GTX, does it produce alot of heat? Yes. Does the stock heatsink do a good job at dissipating that heat? Yes, or Nvidia wouldn't sell it with that heatsink. You will be just fine without watercooling, watercooling on GPUs is only for hard core Vid Card overclockers.

A guy would think that with the release of the Qcore that the Dcore's would go down in price? Also memoryexpress.com is the cheapest place I can find so far that is close to home in Red Deer, AB.

Edited by Operative47

Understandable about memoryexpress, it wasn't until I went there that I realized you were in Canada.

The Quadcore isn't a full line of QuadCore, it is just one quad core at the moment, the Qx6700, top end $1000, so it really isn't replacing anything in Intel's line up, just giving it that nice top off.

my prefered upgrades... If I had to upgrade right now this is what I would buy

upgradewa8.jpg

Although I would buy it off new egg.... Similare parts. Diffrent XMS series and an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe instead.

comes out to 812 with shipping :thumbsup:

Considering the GPU(s) you intend on having, why skimp on the CPU? The E6700 (+/-$150US) or the X6800 (+/-$600US) would look better in that case. Last longer too (in game terms).

And if cost is no object...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819115011

Ouch! The plus side of this 2nd mortgage is they throw in a copy of GRAW.

OK Operative47, I have a better idea of what you are looking for now: SLI rig with no o/c.

If you have a limit on cost, please let us know your total budget.

I plan on having a licenced tech to install the hardware and software so that I don't void my warranty. The only problem is that they wanna charge $69.00 per hour for 3 hours service (1 hour hardware, 2 software).

Wise decision if you are willing to fork out $3K for your system, you should have someone assemble it for you and make sure they have a good warranty. To perhaps save a bit on hours of service (as sometimes this is unpredictable and they'll charge you 4-5 hours) I'd suggest you go with a pre-built system. For example, something like this, and you can ask to modify the components (i.e. perhaps bigger PSU, and remove the dual 7950's and add single 8800GTX)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?Pag...l.php&id=13

I do plan on going SLI in a year or 2, so thats why I figured I would buy a 1000W now instead of buying a 600w now and halfing to buy a 1000w later. I figure I am saving money this way, am I?

Yes, buying 1 PSU will be cheaper than buying a 2nd one later. You will need major power for dual 8800GTX's. Check Memory Express to see if they have Nvidia certified SLI PSU's. If they don't see if they will special order for you.

I just wanna get a good PSU so that I dont get any power issue's when I add a second card. Money is an issue that why I want these upgrades to last 3-4 years.

If you are seriously looking at SLI, I'd suggest you visit Nvidia's SLI marketplace to see what PSU's etc are "certified" for SLI

https://marketplace.slizone.com/SliMarketpl...x?Channel=Yahoo

What are the benifits of going with an sound card instead of the onboard sound?

If you have a price limit, then try out the onboard sound to see how you like it first. Benefits of a sound card include:

- main thing in the past is a good sound card takes load off the CPU. With powerful CPUs these days, you may not notice as much, so try the onboard sound for now and save some $$. You can always add in a sound card later.

- higher quality sound, but if you have cheap speakers, you won't notice. What speaker set up do you have? 5.1?

- special sound processing for certain games (e.g. Creative's EAX5)

MORE QUESTIONS:

- Is it better for me to wait untill the Quad Core's hit the maket then buy a 6600, or maybe even a 6700?

- Is the MOBO, RAM, and CPU all compatible with eachother?

- Do I really need water cooling for the GPU?

- There is hardly any consumer software now that takes advantage of quad core, and there won't be many games that take advantage of quad core likely in the near future. I don't suggest you wait for a quad core, as you'll be paying a premium for it in the next year still. WRT to dual core, as with any hardware, the price will come down the longer you wait, but how long can you wait?

- If you are getting the shop to build your system, you don't have to worry about hardware compatiblity as they will let you know. The main thing with newer Intel systmes is that they use DDR2, SATA for HD (most only have one IDE header now) and PCIE graphics

- No, you don't "need" water cooling for the GPU, just be prepared to hear the fans speed up like a small vacuum cleaner under intensive gaming. But if you have headphones or can turn up your speakers, you won't notice it anyway...

MY CURRENT SYSTEM:

-Windows XP SP2

-ASUS A7N8X mobo

-AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.66 GHz

-RADEON 9250 128mb

-512MB DDR RAM PC2100

-Creative Labs SB Live 5.1 Sound card

-16x DVD-RW DL Burner

-80GB 7200rpm Samsung Hard drives

-AOC 19" monitor Max res 1600x1200

-Mid Tower case w/400W Power Supply

Considering the GPU(s) you intend on having, why skimp on the CPU? The E6700 (+/-$150US) or the X6800 (+/-$600US) would look better in that case. Last longer too (in game terms).

Well I'm paying in Canadian dollars, and I dont really see the benifit of paying $333.00 more for 6700 and only getting .26 GHz more clock speed.

If you have a limit on cost, please let us know your total budget.

I only plan on putting $3,500 max into my upgrades.

I'd suggest you go with a pre-built system

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?Pag...l.php&id=13

That does seem like a good option, but I would want to change out:

-Mushkin XP-650W Power Supply with a 1000w SLI ready PSU.

-2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 Kit - Corsair 2GB XMS2-8500 TWIN2X.

-Seagate 400GB SATA II Hard Drive - 2x Seagate 300GB Barracuda 7200.9 SATA II w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache(looks like a better deal than the 500GB verion)

-2 x e-VGA 7950GT KO 512MB - eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX

-Centurion 534 Case with Window - Full or super tower for future upgrades

All this will probably cost more that $3k.

There is hardly any consumer software now that takes advantage of quad core, and there won't be many games that take advantage of quad core likely in the near future. I don't suggest you wait for a quad core, as you'll be paying a premium for it in the next year still. WRT to dual core, as with any hardware, the price will come down the longer you wait, but how long can you wait?

What I meant is that I should wait till the Qcores are widely avalible on the maket, thus dropping the price of the Dcore making CPU purchase cheaper. Am I right?

QUESTION:

I have been re-thinking the SLI GPU idea. If I buy 1 8800GTX now then wait 6 months to a 1 year and buy another one, than shouldn't there be a better single GPU card on the maket that preforms better than the 2x 8800GTX's in SLI? if yes than this raises the question of needing an SLI PSU and MOBO doesn't it?

What I meant is that I should wait till the Qcores are widely avalible on the maket, thus dropping the price of the Dcore making CPU purchase cheaper. Am I right?

Not exactly. For example, there are already cheap "dual-core" Pentium 4's but their performance is way below AMD's X2's and Intel's Core 2's.

Intel and AMD always keeps their highest-end CPUs at the same price. For example, once AMD comes out with a faster revision of their high-end FX CPU, the stuff that was previously at the top gets taken off the market, and does not go down in price. Of course if you wait long enough - say, 2 years later - you will get a CPU for cheaper that is as powerful as the top-end CPU from 2 years ago. But the question is how long can you wait?

I personally always buy 2nd or 3rd from the top, as it gives you most value for your buck. As long as you use it and are happy with it, you'll get your $ worth. In the end, you get what you pay for.

I have been re-thinking the SLI GPU idea. If I buy 1 8800GTX now then wait 6 months to a 1 year and buy another one, than shouldn't there be a better single GPU card on the maket that preforms better than the 2x 8800GTX's in SLI? if yes than this raises the question of needing an SLI PSU and MOBO doesn't it?

I personally think SLI is a both a great technology and a gimmick. If you have money to burn and can buy 2 of the highest end cards right now, then SLI is for you.

I personally will likely never get SLI, as I'd get the highest end card now, and 1-2 years later get the highest-end card at that time which will be faster than SLI with your current card. By that time, you probably won't even be able to find a matching card anyway as life cycles of graphics cards are notoriously short.

Benefits of a single card are that they use less power, generally have better driver support, and not so noisy.

If you decide against SLI, you will save money on your mobo, PSU, and GPU.

So If I dont go with the SLI option should I go with a 650i ultra mobo?

Hard to say as the 650i just came out and I haven't seen too many reviews.

In terms of choices for Core 2 Duo chipsets there's Intel's 965 and 975, and Nvidia's. I have built a system with the 965 and it is rock solid.

So for Intel, you are looking at lower cost, stability, and minimal overclocking

With the Nforce, it looks like the 680i is the fastest, and you can have the option of SLI and o/c'ing in the future.

I personally would recommend an ASUS brand mobo with either chipset, not an eVGA one.