a mod concept...

Lightspeed

Not sure if this was Dynamod-like, but Ive been thinking about the creation of a Mod for a competition.

Basically, its a dynamic campaign.

And the next part of a mission is only released as Teams who complete it provide the Creators a screenshot (Recon) of something that happened within the Mission (specific SS of course).

Or during the Mission depending on which way you do a mission, the result at the end will be different. Perhaps a code will be given to the team who played it - and that will dictate which mission they are given next.

In the end there is one final super mission - which if you did everything in the right way - you might only get half the number of AI because reinforcements were not called in for example.

The worse you completed other steps - the more AI you will be faced with.

I really like the idea of building a "super mission" involving 3-4 sub-missions. We (Alpha Squad) had even briefly toyed with this idea when we were brainstorming ideas for SR2005. We decided against it due to scripting load concerns, and "fairness" issues -- we really thought people would prefer being able to compare their performance to one another a few different times with no prior bias. In a competition format it also has the potential undesired side effect of allowing the scores to cascade. The team that does well on the first mission will of course do better on the second since they stopped the reinforcments or whatever. I guess you could tilt it the other way and ramp the difficulty up if people do well, but i am sure that has issues as well.

In my ideal world these missions would be scripted on a contigious st of maps (something I do not think anyone has built yet), so that you could do mission 1, and decide which zone you want to go to next. That next mission would of course be customized based on what objectives you have acomplished so far. The technical mechanics of this really would not be too hard to do with GR/Igor.

I don't think it would be difficult to do - I thik the idea of working from the final mission backwards would be the easiest option.

If you ever read the 'Choose your own adventure' books - this is kind of the concept. The path you choose at Mission 1 could change the outcome at the end of the campaign. From a scoring - competitive perspective - players prior to the mission will kow that 'Risk=Reward' is in play - succeed and it pays off with points or easier mission down the track - lose though, and you jeapordize the final result.

I'm on it now, anyone interested lemme know.

This was one of the things that Dynacomp's mod was trying to accomplish as a goal. As I mentioned in another post I am currently working on rebuilding the engine I made for Dynacomp into a public tool. I hope to have v1.0 available by Christmas time.

...this is as good a place as any to post this.

Dynacomp not only had the dynamic campaigning, it also introduced RPG elements to emphasize the career of a character and allow customizations for age, race, ect.

That said, what kind of things would you modders like to see (understanding that there are limitations abound in what I can and can't do with GR being GR)?

can u expand a bit on what dynacomp was, and how the engine differed.

in additions, were maps made for dynamod that were never released?

i'm also thinking that becuase the numbers of clans playing GR are down - it might be wiesr to try to implement this type of mod as a 1 to 2 player campaign. maybe not.....

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd

I am sure that we could produce a simplified Dynamic mod with all of the ppl still modding at the moment.

We could get together and develop a decent story line.

Each Mission modder could create one or two missions each only - looking for a total of maybe 10 missions - with maybe several possible results or scores.

And our weapons, skinners, vehicle modders could provide the backup.

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd

the engine made simply allowed for communications from within GR by mission scripters into an external application that manipulated GR's XML based files in order to advance the campaign in different directions, modify actor files, even allow personalization of squad make up and weapons files defined by the mod maker and not the GR game itself. It utilized alot of the same techniques I used in the platoon extender tool.

I know a handful of maps that were started, not sure how many actually were finished, however I know longer have the dynacomp mod itself (unless its archived). Note, this has nothing to do with Dynacomp itself. I simply always intended to release this as a tool and was unable to find the time to focus on the project until now. And it doesn't hurt that life seems to be stirring in the [GR] community again.

Wow, this sounds nice. I will admit that I have not given due attention to Dynacomp, so I was not aware of this tool. From what I have seen today, I think this is an exciting tool/feature. I wonder how it would play in a MP/coop setting? I can imagine using something like this to drive a campaign style of coop -- just keep a "reset" mission active that can be "played" to reset the campaign back to the beginning if/when you want. There are lots of interesting possibilities I can imagine with this being out.

it really wouldn't work in a MP environment in its current form. However some of the SP files that are manipulated have MP counterparts, so if the host restarted the server session each mission, it could theoretically work. Honestly, thats not even on my feature list at this time. But I'll make a note to look at it as a possibility maybe for a v2.

• 7 months later...