Laptops :)

deadly_sniper22

Well, its been a while since i've been here as my gaming hours have gone down the drain :(

I however have not forgotten this place lol Hope everyones doing well as the christmas season is upon us

Speakin of christmas :devil: this year, i'm asking for a laptop, and surprisangly enough, i'm getting one!

possibly, a very good one! I've done my research and looked around quite a bit and i'm stuck! I know the guys around here know there stuff and trust many of them as i used to game quite often...so i come to you for advice :)

Heres what i was looking at :

Apple Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz 15.4" Glossy Screen

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1440 x 900 pixels

1GB memory

120GB hard drive

6x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM

Backlit keyboard

Link Here

I was totally decided on this until my mom brings me to this guy she knows well and he rambles on about how hes totally about Windows and all the downsides to Mac. I know people have very biased oppinions when it comes to the PC/Mac battle so i'm hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.

My parents are getting me this for university next year but i'll be doing alot of other things too:

Microsoft Word (odd powerpoint presentation)

Lots of Music

Lots of Movies

Web Browsing (i hear firefox is a better alternative to safari)

Msn

Multitasking capabilities without being overly slow (important!)

Loading/viewing pictures from digital camera

nothing overly heavy

I've never had a mac before but have used them at school somewhat. While familliar, i will still have to sit down with it and learn some things. HP has been highly recomended to me, but i'm starting to get sick of windows. I hate trying to uninstall programs and tracking down the bits and pieces left behind by the program, the viruses/adware/spyware etc. blue screen of death as well as all the other things that come with Windows.

I'm thinking with a mac i can get the reliability i need for University. If need be i can always load up XP on bootcamp/parallels

Umm oh just one more question! Theres a desktop in my house and my brothers laptop which runs wirelessly for internet. Both windows pcs. With a macbook i could run off of the same wireless router right??

I know this is alot and i hope someone can help me (yn) haha hope your all going to have as good as a christmas as me. (o ya price range - $2000 USD max)

DS22

P.S Rocky: Site is looking great and looks as busy as ever! Keep up the great work and hope everythigns well!

Well while I will never own a Mac myself, unless of course Hell freezes over, which is always a possiblity, mainly due to the fact that I spent $2000 on a gaming rig, so I could game, but that is beside the point.

I can only address a few issues here, since I have very little experience with Macs, other than what I get from time to time at work. First of all, Firefox comes on OS X also, so you won't be missing out on anything there. As for that other stuff, pretty much any laptop you get these days can do what you will be asking of it, its just a matter of what you want.

I personally do not find the user interface of OS X very intuitive, that it just a personal eye thing I guess.

I would suggest Dell if you go the Windows laptop route, I have had/known people who have had many different kinds of laptops and find Dells to be the best out there for the price.

Just on a money point of view, if what you are going to be doing is what you say, $2000 is way to much, you can buy a laptop to browse the net/do photo work on for $1500 easy. If money isn't an issue then this isn't a big deal, but if you save money for your parents now, you can "bring" that up later if you want anything else.

Oh yes, and here is where I throw in the obligatory, build-yourself-a-desktop-you-will-love-it stuff.

Yes you can run off the same wireless router if they are compatible wireless formats 802.11a/b/c or something like that. The type of computer I belief makes no difference.

I find Apple laptops to be quite overpriced for the same components, while I haven't price checked or anything, it just always seems like Apples are more expensive period.

I hope all that helps a bit, if you need any other help, hopefully somebody can answer the questions I can't, ask away.

Hey Kamakazi, thanks for the help! Just a few points i forgot to bring up earlier as well

With firefox, will i have any problems viewing some sites? i heard videos on YouTube never worked?!?!?! While i do use youtube alot, i'm more worried about not being able to get on certain pages i need for University :S

I will also be burning alot of DVD's/CD's probably

In terms of building my own desktop...theres nothing more i would love to do than that :P but portability is a must for next year :P

While what i am doing with it isn't very demanding, i want something thats gonna last a while, as well i love the speed :P right now i can't run word, itunes and msn at the same time and it kills me :P

Thanks again for your quick reply as you did asnwer a few of my questions :)

Youtube works just fine (just watched the craziest 4 minutes of football I have ever seen on it). I have not experienced a site that doesn't work with Firefox, I guess their might be some out there, but who goes to those ;)

Burning DVDs/CDs is pretty much the same no matter what computer you get, You would have to have a pretty slow computer to not be limited by the DVD/CD drive burning speed.

Yeah I understand portibility, it is a great thing, if only I could carry my massive Full Tower, dual monitors, and keyboard with me at all times, it would be quite a backpack, let me tell you.

will do WK thanks for the tip :)

I'm also starting to look at Sony's...any ideas on those?

I'm going out again tonight to look everything over again which invloves me driving to about 4 different stores since none of them carry everything haha

thanks again! :)

I know 2 ppl who liked Sony Viao(???) and quickly returned it and got the cheapest G4(???) and never looked back. Both were into Photography so it was an easy decision.

I got an Acer Aspire 5002WLMi...my only beef is I can't play my CD without opening it up.

I can do 6 layers Photoshop, GR1 (except Carribbean Missle Crisis---gee I wonder why)...other mods no problem. RB6 is kinda iffy. Colin Mcrae 2 is ok.

It came with XPPRO SP2.

Check with your university and see if they will support macs. Many have a min requirement now of Windows XP pro.

Also note... if you buy a copy of Windows xp (yes this is the legit way) there is a way to load it to a mac. The mac will run it fine with the new intel processors. One of our members has a desktop version and Plays GRAW. He even has a G15 windows keyboard for gaming. That way you get the best of both worlds. Check with the univerisity 1st though as you don't want them telling you the problem you have is because you have a mac and we don't support them. Also note... not much Mac software besides mailorder. If you get it, look into how to load xp to it so you get the best of both worlds.

Check with your university and see if they will support macs. Many have a min requirement now of Windows XP pro.

Also note... if you buy a copy of Windows xp (yes this is the legit way) there is a way to load it to a mac. The mac will run it fine with the new intel processors. One of our members has a desktop version and Plays GRAW. He even has a G15 windows keyboard for gaming. That way you get the best of both worlds. Check with the univerisity 1st though as you don't want them telling you the problem you have is because you have a mac and we don't support them. Also note... not much Mac software besides mailorder. If you get it, look into how to load xp to it so you get the best of both worlds.

Hey thanks for your reply

I have looked into Bootcamp quite extensivly and think i'm going to go for the mac and put XP on it as well for MS word....i'll be using OSX for everything else but when it comes to essay time boot up XP....this should avoid any problems that would come up in university, despite the fact i'm sure as long as i can run word/powerpoint etc. i'll be fine :)

I was having such a hard deciding between windows and mac i figured this, despite being the most expensive option, would be the best option. I get the bset of both worlds (for the most part).

Use xp for word

osx for messenger, music media etc....the only thing is to make sure i don't get XP infected with viruses. just means more money for virus protection lol!

Any more tips guys?

Thanks again

A basic tip: If you use something like Bootcamp to install XP, don't create a network connection. If XP never sees the Internet, it won't be hit by any of the malware out there.

I've got a neighbour who's a digital musician. His work machine is an XP box, and his working install has it's own removable hard drive, and the install does not have the ability to connect to his network connections. He's a little draconian in his security, but the principle is sound.

A basic tip: If you use something like Bootcamp to install XP, don't create a network connection. If XP never sees the Internet, it won't be hit by any of the malware out there.

I've got a neighbour who's a digital musician. His work machine is an XP box, and his working install has it's own removable hard drive, and the install does not have the ability to connect to his network connections. He's a little draconian in his security, but the principle is sound.

While i did thi nk about this, chances are i'm going to have to do some internet research wile writing papers....yes i could view them all in firefox on osx than shutdown adn boot back up in XP but its just easier to be able to surf in XP if needed.

I have a friend from work as well who builds/repairs computers and is willing to put everything on there for me to protect it for anything...no downloading anything on XP for sure, just typing and web browsing....keep my fingeres crossed as well nothing comes up :)

I'm more worried just about bootcamp actually working :wall:

While i did thi nk about this, chances are i'm going to have to do some internet research wile writing papers....yes i could view them all in firefox on osx than shutdown adn boot back up in XP but its just easier to be able to surf in XP if needed.

I have a friend from work as well who builds/repairs computers and is willing to put everything on there for me to protect it for anything...no downloading anything on XP for sure, just typing and web browsing....keep my fingeres crossed as well nothing comes up :)

I'm more worried just about bootcamp actually working :wall:

It is susposed to work really well. One of our members play GRAW on a mac using it. If i talk to him tonight i'll see if i can get him to fill you in here.

Hey that'd be awsome Roco....i really want to just get an OEM version cause its cheaper but i'm hearing different stories on whether the OEM version works or not, and if it doesn't its not like i can return it :P

So i may have to dish out full price for XP :|

Well normally OEM is for full install only not for upgrades. That is the only real difference... that and MS won't do uncharged support for OEM as you are susposed to go to where you got it.

But in this case... it's uncharted.

I'm not actually thinking Parallels....If i do parallels, i can choose not to connect the XP portion of it to the internet right? So if i'm in XP using word for an esssay, i can quickly go over to parallels, use the internet for research, and pop back over to XP. This keeps me from worrrying about viruses/spyware at all!

This is possible to have OSX connected and XP disconeected correct?

Yes parallels cost money but so would buying antivirus software etc. ? :P

Hey that'd be awsome Roco....i really want to just get an OEM version cause its cheaper but i'm hearing different stories on whether the OEM version works or not, and if it doesn't its not like i can return it :P

So i may have to dish out full price for XP :|

What's up sniper....I happen to be that MAC user that Rocco is referring to. Let's lay down a few of the groundworks.

When it comes to PC users, most see MAC as a buggy machine with a buggier OS that mostly yuppies and graphics/video guys s use. (I happen to be a graphics video guy.) As far as the buggy machines/OS, those issues are years behind us. OSX has been solid since 10.1. I have had 6 macs in the last 5 years. My biggest issue is that one had a failed power supply after 3 years of use, and was covered under my extended warranty plan. No biggie. I have owned a G3 533 Imac DV, G4 dual 500, G4 dual 800, G4 Powerbook 17" 1ghz, Dual 2.3 G5 Power PC workhorse and currently at home I have the Imac 20" 2.13 Intel Duo Core with ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 VRAM. Never have had any issues with viruses/spyware on any of my macs. Basically what I am trying to say is that I am a MAC user, but I have recently copme to the conclusion that for gaming I need a windows capable machine. I have gone so far to start putting together a gaming PC (with the help of my afz clanmates) for just gaming, especially since the Intel Mac was released, porting of Mac games has drastically decreased. Mac gamers have always had to settle for less titles, usually, not always, released well after the PC titles where on the shelves. Regardless of my gaming migration, I will always own a MAC, my career and the thousands in software I own dictate that. But when it comes to graphic art (print) and video editing/production I choose Apple. Just my preference, and for the most part my industries standard.

So now for the low down:

Almost anything a PC can do, a MAC can do. Not everything a PC can do, a MAC can do, not everything a MAC can do a PC can do, everything a MAC can do and everything a PC can do an Intel MAC can do. :rolleyes:

I use Bootcamp efficiently at home on my Imac. I run Windows XP SP2. You must have sp2 or it will not install. I played games such as Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, GR:AW, CS:Source & the Godfather. They all run amazingly well (60+fps) on medium to high settings except for GRAW, I get about 30-40 with all settings on low at 1280x1024. But it is more than playable. Now being the crazed gamer I am, I am looking to build myself a gaming PC. For this reason alone. I could go for that quad core Xeon tower that Apple makes, but I can build a gaming machine much cheaper on the PC side. The only drawback of the IMac & Macbooks that I see is the lack of expandability (video cards & ram), for normal people 256 VRAM & 2 gigs of RAM is plenty.

I would suggest the Macbook with the X1600 with 256 VRAM if you want to run any decent games. 128 might be a bit dissapointing. You will have the advantage of the new Core 2 Duo, but you can never have enough VRAM eh?

Picking your OS is as easy as 1,2,3. Once you install Bootcamp, you will be prompted to insert a blank cd. Your computer will then burn all relevent drivers for windows onto the disc. Follow the directions closely. You will then install XP onto your machine. For a step by step go here Bootcamp. Use Bootcamp, especially if you intend to play PC games. Let your machine fully boot into XP. You don't need to waste RAM and CPU resources running two OS's.

Once installed, choosing your OS is as easy as holding down the Option key (alt) for windows. YOu will see a screen with both OS choices in front of you. Click one, and off you go.

When it comes to your MS Office apps - Word, PP, Exel and so on --> Microsoft Office for Mac. All cross platform, fully compatible apps, documents are cross platform to either OS. I use this at work daily on a PC network. (i'm on a G5 dual 2.3 running OSX10.4.8). So it will be up to you how you want to run you Office apps. If you already own versions for Windows, then just install them in Windows.

Some network issues with Mac and PC do exist, but no major ones. Basically its what the PC can see of the Mac through file sharing. Otherwise you will have no problem seeing networks, accessing them and so forth. If you intend on using file sharing between Mac & PC, be sure to set all your permissions correctly, and it should work pretty well. The only issue I've seen so far is here at work I have an external drive that holds all my music. It if formatted in MAC OS Extended format, and the PC can't see it. Now if this where reversed, say the external was formatted to any of the PC formats, the MAC would see it fine.

Your Mac will come with video editing software out of the box. Edit and burn to DVD out of the box. No trial versions or LE versions. You will be able to organize and play/utilize music(iTunes), video(imovie), DVD creation(idvd), photos(iphoto)<---standard on all Macs and much more depending on what else comes bundled with your machine.

If your looking for portabitlity a laptop is your answer (stating the obvious) Your macbook will come with wireless connectivity installed: Built-in 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme (802.11g)

Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

There is plenty more I can ramble about, and I probably will eventually, but I can leave work now :party:

Basically what I am trying to say is you will get the Best of both world (Mac & Windows) with a Macbook. So I give it 2 thumbs up, especially for what you plan on using it for. It can't get any better than that. If your a PC gaming whore, and that's what you plan on doing for the majority of the time, a laptop isn't the way to go anyway, and it would be custom built PC monster all the way.

P.S. Don't forget your Internet security solution for when you are in XP whatever it may be, I use Norton Internet Security. It would be like going to a bachelor party in Tijuana with no Trojans.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

alright so the mac has been ordered :)

I'm probably going to be using bootcamp (am still looking into parallels though) I'm purchasing Windows XP home, and i'm able to get Office from a friend at work, who is also going to provide me with Symantec antivirus and adaware etc.

A question about book camp though: Do i have to install XP on it right when i get the macbook? or can i wait and install it in like march? i heard you have to install it right away before you start putting other files and everything else on the mac...comments on this?

Thanks again, :)

• 4 weeks later...

alright so the mac has been ordered :)

I'm probably going to be using bootcamp (am still looking into parallels though) I'm purchasing Windows XP home, and i'm able to get Office from a friend at work, who is also going to provide me with Symantec antivirus and adaware etc.

A question about book camp though: Do i have to install XP on it right when i get the macbook? or can i wait and install it in like march? i heard you have to install it right away before you start putting other files and everything else on the mac...comments on this?

Thanks again, :)

Not sure about that one. I actually installed Bootcamp the day I got my imac. I was so psyched to be able to play Windows games on it, that I didn't wait. If I where you I would install Bootcamp and XP at the beginning. Bootcamp partitions your drive to make a "windows drive" on you hd. Might just be cleaner and easier with a fresh hd.

Well i've had the mac for a week now and coudn't be happier :) although windows will always have a place in my heart for gaming, i can't see myself buying a windows machine in the near future unless i have money to blow on games and a pc. But with university around the corner and hop;efully a move to australia after that, moneys all going into the savings account. For now i hve the COD2 Demo as well as the Doom 3 demo on here that are keeping my amused enough for now.

While i miss the gaming days i'm hoping i will no longer have to deal with blue screens, freezes etc. as much as before if at all, not to mention spyware/viruses and the like.

For now i'm content with not putting XP on here, i'm goin to be purcashing Office for mac in the near future and that should take care of all my needs for school.

Thanks again for all the input and hpoe everyone had a happy and safe christmas/new years :)