Worthy Laptops?

RAbbi_74

Just looking for advice here. I'll be off to the Middle East come mid-January, and placing an order by the end of February (probably early-to-mid) for a new laptop to handle GRAW/SCDA duties, as well as (potentially) video/sound editing. I've priced AlienWare's laptop option at around $2300.00 equipped as I'd like it. Are there any other laptops out there that anyone knows of (leave Toshiba out of this... BAD juju) that can also handle the stress of these two games without dirtying their respective diapers?

Thanks for the input, folks...

Have you done a price comparison between Alienware and Dell, usually you can get the same stuff under the XPS (or even Inspiron) models that you would get in a Alienware and it will save you $500-ish bucks. Alienware is a great choice if money doesn't matter, they just always seem to be a bit more expensive than anywhere else.

I understand Sager makes the laptops that Alienware and Voodoo use for their line of gaming laptops. You may want to check them out.

Personally, right now, I would steer clear of Dell laptops. They have had not one, but two battery recalls this year alone and this does not count the one I remeber a couple of years ago. Seems as if Dell needs to find a new battery supplier.

Personally, right now, I would steer clear of Dell laptops. They have had not one, but two battery recalls this year alone and this does not count the one I remeber a couple of years ago. Seems as if Dell needs to find a new battery supplier.

Sony's fault, not Dell's. I know that both Apple and Lenovo/IBM also had recalls for the same problem with Sony batteries.

How about this:

Is there some site out there where I could put in what I need my ideal laptop to have, and it would compare that to specs of available laptops and give me the opportunity to compare them side-by-side?

Otherwise I'm gonna cop-out and grab me some AlienWare....

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

I did indeed look at the suggested alternatives, as well as a few others. And while there were some REALLY NICE laptops out there, I figure the AlienWare I was looking at (m9700) couldn't be beat at all, even by other laptops at a similar price.

And THEN AW puts the SLI on special... Oh, lordie...

So, last night I finally broke down, gave=in and ordered. Here's the quick specs...

AlienWare m9700

AMD Turion 64 ML40 @2.2GHz

2GB 400MHz dual-channel RAM

2 80GB 7200RPM HDD's on RAID 0

and the centerpiece...

2 Nvidia Go 7900GS 256MB GPU's on SLI

That on WinXP Home with a free update to Vista Home when it's released. The price?

Tax and shipping included, I paid about $3,200. The big deal was the upgrade to dual Go7900GS' on SLI for free (usually a $400 upgrade option). They had an option for dual 7900GS' w/512MB EACH, but that's another $700. Too steep. This one pushed the limits of what I'm willing to spend...

Anyhow, thanks again y'all for the input and advice!

:D Available after January 1st sometime. Let's review the specs...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

2GB (4*512MB) RAM

1*120GB HDD

2*Nvidia GeForce 6800GT/256MB

ASUS A8N-SLI mobo

LG 52/32/52 CD/RW, 16x DVD-ROM

450W PS

Westinghouse 17" LCD monitor

Logitech keyboard

For ZJJ only: make me an offer...

(and yeah, you're gonna have to come get it... you know how it is trying to get me out of here for a weekend...)

For ZJJ only: make me an offer...

I would love to contact you with an offer, but you know that the way the situation stands why I can't ..... unless I do it publically (which I don't particularly want to). :ermm:

• 2 weeks later...

AH! The AlienWare piece arrived yesterday evening. FUN!!!

Of course, there area couple bits that came with it that I have NO clue what they're for...

But I'll figure that out... this thing SMOKES GRAW. I'm lovin' it...

if they sent you an Alienware Backpack by mistake, I'll give you my add...I mean their return address. :whistle:

Benchies!!!

Good gaming sir :thumbsup:

HOLY COW! I been playin' SCDA on the laptop, and MOTHER OF PEARL is it nice! FAR better performance than the desktop.

I'm slowly figuring out what the other stuff that came with it is for. They're remote control sensors for the WinXP-MCE remote. Now, WHY I would wanna put my laptop so far away form me that I'd need to use a remote to control it is beyond me, much less why I'd have it out of line-of-sight. But oh well...

I love technology...