Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
j-man

my first impressions

ok, so i just got GRAW 2 days ago and just wanted to say i really enjoy it

first off is game play: i really like it in single player. Its a lot different than [GR] in that I sit back and let the ai kill most of the people as I set them up instead of me being the trigger man. I just wish there was a quicksave or something- kinda frustrating to almost finish a checkpoint just to die a few times, but overall quite enjoyable

related to gameplay, the ai is much improved from [GR]. they still have their quirks, but overall the enemy ai is smarter and friendly ai isnt as helpless as before. Every once and a while your teammates do something stupid (walk backwards into gun fire and generally just face the wrong way) but overall they are pretty effective if you tell them what to do. The only thing i wish is they would actually use grenades or their grenade launchers- or have i just not been fortunate enough to see them do this yet?

graphically, the game looks quite good. im not one to buy a game for graphics, but they are a nice addition. im able to run everything on high and get decent frame rates (no idea what as there is no command and i dont have fraps... but id estimate ~60-80ish fps). the lighting still looks kinda weird for me, but i absolutely love the explosion effects (no physx card, but i dont care about more particles. the bloom effect is what im talking about)

for multiplayer i havent had any issues that ive read about around the forums (perhaps all fixed by 1.30 patch?) but i do wish there were coop missions available. oh well, its still fun.

anyways, thats my take on the game. an overall good game that i guess just got an initial bad rap due to bugs that have been fixed since i got it. the only things i really think it is missing now is a firefight quick mission type mode for sp and a mission editor.

See you on a server then! Yes it is true that the game took a bad rap before start, a severe one some would say. But that is history, and so is those who still harps about it. I'll shot you up when I see you on a server, have a good day until then! :ph34r:

I also just recently picked this game up(about 3 days ago.) I have really only played multiplayer, and i find this game very enjoyable and challenging. Graw has unique gameplay that I've only seen before in America's Army (not very fun imo,) I enjoy the tactical strategies that are present not only in single player like most first person shooters but also multiplayer where I can tell some "tactical" shooters fall behind.

One of my only gripes is that there is no in game voice communication(correct me if i'm wrong.) Yes I use teamspeak but I've never thought using a third party program should be a necessity(and voice IS a necessity.) I have found a server that I will most likly play on from now on, the name thats coming to mind is BDA (I'll edit when I find out what it really is.) Anyway they all seem friendly and are active on teamspeak.

Thats all I have to say, See you in game!

It would be the BDA (Beer Drinking Assassins) server, it's one of, if not the most, played adversial server. I'm glad to see more people buying the game now. All we need to get more people is an expansion pack.

The lack of in-fame voice com was a deliberate decision. Most players already use TS, Ventrilo or something else, no need for adding such a feature to the game as it is stable with TS (not TSO, but that add on is unstable and a beta) and Ventrilo.

Why a standalone expansion??i'll be happy if its just an addon. J-man welcome to the game, this has got to be one of the best games out there...do yourself a favour and strap on jasonsmod,well the AI bits for a truly inspireing single player experience (need to de-patch to 1.21 tho)

I hope GRiN get the chance to do [GR:FS]

Why a standalone expansion??i'll be happy if its just an addon. J-man welcome to the game, this has got to be one of the best games out there...do yourself a favour and strap on jasonsmod,well the AI bits for a truly inspireing single player experience (need to de-patch to 1.21 tho)

I hope GRiN get the chance to do [GR:FS]

Why? To get new players. As I own the game myself I don't benefit much, but getting some hundred more online GRAW-ing would be nice, standalone would make some difference.

J-Man your name is very familiar to me. What is on your Clancy Resume?

just rogue spear (and expansions), GR and now GRAW

J-Man... RSCD? as in the rapper?

haha, nah

... One of my only gripes is that there is no in game voice communication

that would have made things easy. i used to played CoD2 for a while which had this feature, though in my experience it was always really grainy/hard to understand. of course that was on my old computer (my new one doesnt have a microphone) so that might have been part of the issue

In CoD2 it depends on how high the admin set the quality for the in game chat, but yeah most the time its not worth it. Man I think I have seen you around to, you use j-man in cod2?

Back to the expansion....

2 ways to release... one as a cheap add on and one as GRAW + the add-on.

29.00 for the add-on 49.00 for both.

That would price it right about where everyone would like it.

It would have to be though.... A stable expansion... very few bugs... and tested before we could draw the masses in... as some have a bad taste from the current bugs (and left during the previous)

What should it entail..?

a few more weapons... at least 2

a few more add ons... possibly flashbangs for example

New terrain

New storyline

New maps ... at least 6, available in all game modes

Weather

fog at least for those with post effects off or low so the 150 meter limit looks correct (instead of enemies dissappearing) With them on high, it's hazy and looks like it should but not everyone can run it that way.

New camo for new enemies

More spawn points (4) with random option for matching

Server gui for those that don't like the console or newer admins that aren't familiar with it

I vote for snow and outdoor forest / towns (thinking of GR1 frostbite)

Edited by ROCOAFZ