Ghost Recon.net Forums
WhiteKnight77

Cost of Gaming

Cost of Gaming  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I asked this question elsewhere and want to ask it here. This is not to start a PC vs. Console flame war, but to ask a serious question.

It has been noted that Microsoft loses $126 per unit. That adds up to $525 for a premium unit and $425 for a basic unit. This does not figure in the price of add-ons such as a hard drive or extra controllers. Sony was considering asking $590 for the PS3. Would you still buy a PS3 at that price? While there are those who already have an HDTV, there are those (like me) who still have analoge TVs with a resolution of 640x480 and would have to buy one. I will take someones example of the £800 HDTV ($1522 in the US). That coupled with the money for a console can buy a PC that can play games reasonably well.

No.

Would just go for an all new self built PC if that were the case. To be honest im considering a 360 myself, problem is, with games at sixty dollars, and from what ive seen, most console games really dont make me come back for more, with no replay value (which is starting to show in some PC games that i have), i cant see any justification in the price. Of course if you go to Gamestop i think they still have used 360 games which can range from 2 dollars to fifty or less.

BTW, you dont have to have an HD TV for nextgen consoles.

I guess i went a little off topic to explain some stuff, first sentences is my opinion.

Edited by Foxtrot23

it is by no means "minor" eye candy... high def is much better in terms of clearity.

but a standard tv will work fine aswell.

back on topic.

No... the way I see it consoles arent worth it. Cheaper the better.

Edited by Prozac360

No.

Consoles are fairly limited in their purpose...gaming.

A PC computer, on the other hand, can be used for gaming and also be used for other purposes...like posting on forums, paying my bills online, finding out how to mod my car, etc. As such, because of it's limitations, the perceived value of a console commands a price less than a full-fledged PC. As such, consoles will always have to be subsidized by their builders because they use the same parts as full PCs and truly have the same costs. Alternatively, because of it's many uses, a PC has a higher perceived value and can command a higher premium, without builder subsidizing. And users don't feel bad paying more money, as long as they get their value out of it.

Consoles for $600+ will end up like past failures. History of console pricing

Yeah, consoles are limited, I was thinking about keeping current PC for research and online purposes and work, but a console for gaming alone.

But I dont think either is worth it the way games are going. Not really worth upgrading or buying a console IMO, since theres nothing worth upgrading for, and what I said earlier about the decline in replay value, and some console games are heading more towards online than they are player(s) in the room.

Prozac must be out to get me. Its only what I heard about HDTV and consoles.

Edited by Foxtrot23

if consoles came with a keyboard and mouse...would it affect PC gaming industry? Since some of them are already online---it probably won't take long before someone adds a Google hack into it. Then you can do your research.

:shifty:

You're probably right. As consoles become more and more like computers.... what's the point besides having a standardized platform?

You're probably right. As consoles become more and more like computers.... what's the point besides having a standardized platform?

Having a standardized platform is THE reason for consoles, you cant take that reason out of the equation, as there would be no equation left:)

Millions of people want to be able to play games without the (rather minimal) but none the less hassle you get from having to install a game, make sure your computer can run it, download proper drivers etc, not to mention the party factor/social factor being able to sit way back with a bunch of friends in a sofa playing games on your 40inch lcd screen is something alot of people want, its a way of hanging out, playing pc games is most of the time something for the lone wolf(if you dont count the people you meet online ofcourse), consoles are just better for hanging out with your RL friends with than a computer, so I would say they will always have their place , just as the pc games, they just attract diffrent people(that offcourse, alot of the time, overlap each other)

Well, I have an old Xbox, and literally the only reason I have it is because of one game, Operation Flashpoint. I like the fact that BIS did not dumb down the game for the console, and if BIS puts Armed Assault out on the 360, then I sure as heck plan on buying one. I prefer gaming on a console as I like the feel of sitting in front of a big screen in an easy chair, but I prefer games like RVS over the overly simple RB6 on the console.

I really hate the fact that console games are often the inferior sample of a PC game, and please spare me the "consoles are for kids" statements, I heard them all before.

The ESA has done a remarkable report on who plays games, even breaking it down to age, gender and platform (console or PC). Game Player Data shows that overall, gamers 18 and up make up the majority of gamers with the average age at 33. Now breaking it down between PC and console reveals:

For Computer Gamers...

Thirty percent of most frequent game players are under eighteen years old.

Twenty-six percent of most frequent game players are between 18 and 35 years old.

Forty-four percent of most frequent game players are over 35 years old.

For Console Gamers...

Forty percent of most frequent game players are under eighteen years old.

Thirty-five percent of most frequent game players are between 18 and 35 years old.

Twenty-five percent of most frequent game players are over 35 years old.

Note that console gamers a large percentage of console gamers are under 18. This is most likely the reason why games are simplified, especially for consoles (besides the often used inability of the hardware argument used by devs).

With the avererage age of gamers being more than 30, you would think that devs and publishers realized that and created more games specifically aimed at that crowd. Even on a console older gamers still outnumber younger gamers.

if consoles came with a keyboard and mouse...would it affect PC gaming industry? Since some of them are already online---it probably won't take long before someone adds a Google hack into it. Then you can do your research.

:shifty:

not really... i would toss it up right next to my pc tower and try to hook it into the same monitor.

All in 1 game center

Edited by Prozac360

Even on a console older gamers still outnumber younger gamers.

Exactly, I hate the way they changed RVS for the Xbox, it isn't even the same game. GR was the only game that came close to the PC version, but even here I can name a good number of differences between the two, and all the differences are pretty much for the worse.

if consoles came with a keyboard and mouse...would it affect PC gaming industry?

How about Wii?

Just point and click, and the console is cheep, just $250.

IMO it's probably the only console that can compete with the PC when it comes to FPS games.

Anyway, I will definately buy Windows Vista since you will be able to play some of the Vista games over Xbox Live against X360 players :o=

Edited by Hockeystick

Having a standardized platform is THE reason for consoles, you cant take that reason out of the equation, as there would be no equation left:)

Millions of people want to be able to play games without the (rather minimal) but none the less hassle you get from having to install a game, make sure your computer can run it, download proper drivers etc, not to mention the party factor/social factor being able to sit way back with a bunch of friends in a sofa playing games on your 40inch lcd screen is something alot of people want, its a way of hanging out, playing pc games is most of the time something for the lone wolf(if you dont count the people you meet online ofcourse), consoles are just better for hanging out with your RL friends with than a computer, so I would say they will always have their place , just as the pc games, they just attract diffrent people(that offcourse, alot of the time, overlap each other)

Why not add all these great features to the computer then?

The constant cost of PC gaming is certainly prohibitive for a lot of people. Unles you are a proffessional working in the graphics industry then gaming is the ONLY reason to constantly need to upgrade your PC.

To be perfectly honest (and I have said this for years) if they allowed keyboard and mouse use on consoles then I would swap tomorrow. I only play FPS's really and in my opinion a controller just doesn't cut it for me.

I thought you could buy USB Mice and Kboards for the PS2?

Xbox aswell.

And soon the XBOX360 obviously.

I am pretty sure the manual had product addon details including the mouse/kboard for it, along with headsets and other random stuff.

Consoles usually worse in graphics though after about 3 years or so, even though its still enjoyable.

Edited by Foxtrot23