What would you do?

pz3

This is the question.

The Tom clancy title of games has lost all realism and it is now more similare to call of duty gameplay (tehehe).

Lets say you find a game company you really liked and their product/design demonstration videos were top notch. What would you be willing to do to support them while the game was in development?

Would you give them support on forums?

Try to Work for them for free providing skins/textures/sounds/models?

Donate them money on their website?

Put a sig in your profile for that company?

Learn a Software suit to possibly help them?

What would you do?

This is the question.

The Tom clancy title of games has lost all realism and it is now more similare to call of duty gameplay (tehehe).

Lets say you find a game company you really liked and their product/design demonstration videos were top notch. What would you be willing to do to support them while the game was in development?

What would you do?

I have a feeling there is more meaning here than is typed in the post Prozac :shifty:

But yes all of the above.

This is the question.

What would you do?

All i have played are far more realistic than any games yes any games out at the mo or have been out, it depends on your interipation of realism. I play GR and GRAW by the way. And where the compare with COD comes i dont know.

And yes to all the rest of your post if i felt the need.

Edited by JJUK

"What would you do for a Klondike Bar?"

I have like ZERO computer skillz. I have no skills of any sort even vaguely relevant to this topic. Hell, I doubt I have any skills at all, of any type. Therefore...

"I would do nothing." -Peter, 'Office Space'

so what woud you say, ya do here?

I would also do nothing. I have a fulltime job as a seismic data processor and want to spend my free time doing something enjoyable like playing a finished videogame or shooting guns or wood/metal working.

This is the question.

What would you do?

good question, Pro!

Would you give them support on forums? - yes

Try to Work for them for free providing skins/textures/sounds/models? - doing that right now

Donate them money on their website? - yes, i would. basicly i feel it is similar to being a supporter of gr.net if any amount of money can help them, why not donate some so you can enjoy their product.

Put a sig in your profile for that company? - without a doubt! if they would ask me to do so.

Learn a Software suit to possibly help them? - in the process of doing just that.

@Colin: This is just gauging intreasts and ideas.

lets say the company releases a demo CG video demonstraiting what they would like to accomplish in the game design... To help advertise/gain support and create a visual theme for the game's designers...

Then lets say the company offered a system such as preordering the software. All people who preorder get special access in the forums and more detailed information on the games development progress. So long as they decide to obey by the rules and or contract.

They can critic it and be part of the games design and help with insight and molding the game untill finished. They would also get to alpha and beta test at certain times aswell.

Now for if any reason the game never comes out because the Preorder system did not fetch enough money for an engine and or a publisher you get a full refund.

Think any of you might be intreasted in doing it?

Edited by Prozac360

Since you put it THAT way, Prozac, YEAH! I'd be all about that.

Again, I have little or no technical expertise to offer anyuone in the game design industry, unless maybe writing press releases or the script for LeisureSuitLarry:Source. But if only BETA testing or offering constructive criticism was good enough, yeah. I'd be all for it.

For ANY PC name. How about Unreal:Wolfenstein? Yep! Operation:Operation? You got it! StrawberryShortcake:Source? Absolutely!

And I still think I had the BEST idea for a GRAW expansion in the GRAWtrix.....

how would the refund work, wouldn't the company have spent that money on building the game? if i understand you correctly, i think that would mean a additional risk for the company itself, with the possibility of having to repay everyone who has the game on pre-order.

but yes, if i feel the game will be the best i can imagine and if i have the feeling i can make a contribution to it by being active on the forums aswell as testing it, i would pay some cash for it. that way you would really have the feeling you actually did something to make the game happen instead of just waiting for it to arrive.

good question swartsz... didnt think about it.

maybe get a some companies to sponsor it like Autodesk, Unreal etc?

I dunno how they would feel about giving out free stuff untill a finished product is made then getting paid.

if they were willing to work as partners could happen maybe?

Edited by Prozac360

There is nothing like being involved in the idea and creation of a game. Although I don't have skills that may be of use, I still have a brain (I think) that could help generate ideas and provide feedback. Especially if the game is geared towards the style of play that I like.

I'd think they would have to start the company as an LLC or something, easy to underwrite and insure against liabilities. Something like this certainly still carries liabilities for refund, etc. The bigger issue is, just how many folks would bone up ca$h for an independent GR title? I'm sure a relative few (couple dozen) of the GR Hardcore would. But that would be a drop in the bucket next to what's required to start payroll and such for independent development fo a major release for the PC.

Which means we're probably talking more about an established and fairly well-employed developer taking on the task. Biggest problem now is talking Ubisoft into either:

1.) letting the GR name, along with all associated trademarks, go on the trading block, or

2.) making the corporate decision to allow a developer to run with the game with far less input from the publisher and far more from the gamers.

And let's face it folks, while we mostly agree that GRAW has yet to find the mark for a follow-up to [GR], we're still pretty diverse on what we want from it overall. Ubisoft and GRiN can see that as easily as we can. RSE surely knows as much by now too. So how much faith do they put in the general consensus of the gaming public, versus their own market research? Honestly, they'd have to find reason to evelop a PC-only title. It's too expensive to develop the same title separately for consoles AND PC with completely different everything. Hence why they used a lot of the LA studio animations and voices. That stuff costs them money.

So, what we're looking at here is finding a dev house that can convince Ubisoft to license them to GR for a PC-only title. If the dev were to believe that we the gamers would come out with mad financial support (LOTS and LOTS of preorders), they might be able to bring the bid down and maybe budge the gods of Ubi on the issue.

And THAT, boys and girls, is what I sincerely hope for here. I give it less than a 10% chance, but I can keep my fingers and toes crossed anyhow, and give HUGE MAD praise to Prozac360 if it works!

This could fall into a catagory of a poll I posted a while back;

Create Your Own Game?, Would You?

This could help keep the cost of game development down initally and give gamers a chance at getting an engine themselves to make a game if they so desire. It would also be a way to help the dev create more levels in the future. Kind of a pay as you go model like Steven King did with The Green Mile when he was writing that book.

GR most likely wouldnt even be in the title.

Pre-Orders would be vital but there would have to be other work arounds aswell.

Perhaps the hardest part would be getting the engine/publishing and designers to work for free untill release. Then distributing the moneys to the team and partners.

Just an idea thoe. Even If a major company rips my idea here and puts it into action I dont see to much of a downfall so long as the games demo reel sets the mood and the preorder people understand the game still has to go into a uniform direction.

@ WK... similare idea that one would possibly work better so long as people find it and can organize design teams for it. (shouldnt be a problem lol)

Edited by Prozac360

I'm usually late when it comes to technology and whats hip nowadays---like hola-hop. :D No? <_<

If the community is similar to GR.NET, I'd spread it the news thru Sigs in other forums.

I'd support the forum vs the company---unless there's a tier of refund:

like ideas or intellectual properties---$10 refund per number ideas that were implemented or used, then on the other end of the spectrum,actual tech skillz, 3D/skinning/script---$50-75.

More? :huh:

That's as far I can stretch my money and my brain...hey look a shinny penny!

Interesting idea, but I remember a thread a couple years ago where we were discussing features that the next gen GR should have and there were some disagreements over some very basic features. One issue was that of sight sway, and some were vehemently against it, and they simply wanted the current reticle system to remain in place.

How would issues like this be resolved? There would be so many splits along the way, there might not be enough people that agree on the "basic things" to maintain a community around many of the games.

Interesting idea, but I remember a thread a couple years ago where we were discussing features that the next gen GR should have and there were some disagreements over some very basic features. One issue was that of sight sway, and some were vehemently against it, and they simply wanted the current reticle system to remain in place.

How would issues like this be resolved? There would be so many splits along the way, there might not be enough people that agree on the "basic things" to maintain a community around many of the games.

its a bit like the "peepshow" episode when Jeremy and Superhands decide to start a pub together but it kinda falls apart cus they cant agree on the name; Superhands wants it to be named "Free the pedos" and jeremy wants something more normal like "the swan and something" and superhands suggest a compromise "the swan and the pedo"