So Srry to all of the COOP players out there

They want a game that people will buy and play for a few months and then toss it away (this is what has happened with the designe of Lockdown) and then buy the next game in the franchise the following year even if it stinks from the original premise of the franchise.

Yep, unfortunately so...

I'd though love to see a concept where the publisher and developers put the efforts is to make a MP friendly game based on the concept of [GR], with the intention of a long life, and you had to purchase a license on a yearly or monthly basis to play it online. Thus money can be hoisted in despite we play the same game for the next 5 years or so...

I'd happily pay for such a licence to recieve a game with options, flexibility, variability and decent # maps, and with continuous support, updates, mappacks etc from the developers.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They want a game that people will buy and play for a few months and then toss it away (this is what has happened with the designe of Lockdown) and then buy the next game in the franchise the following year even if it stinks from the original premise of the franchise.

Hence the "Ghost Recon" tag on this farrago - it was just for marketing, nothing more.

UBI is big enough and ugly enough to survive this :angry: - but the reputations of "Ghost Recon" - and by association GRIN - have been badly damaged by this mis-concieved, ill-wrought and mis-managed attempt at a PC game.

Funny you should say that, OliverReed... Considering the last two days you've been visiting our squad server.

Seems surprising that you continue to play a game that you obviously despise.

I do despise it - no, loathe it! - but I did want to try out the 1.3 patch just to make sure.

Plus, I was looking for the chance to call you "Hunny" online :D

Oliver, if you hate the game, don't like "hunny" why are you even bothering with the game and keep spreading the negativity around?

I am just curious why you are still hammering away at something you "loathe".

Frankly I am surprised you haven't moved on to another game.

Not necessarily picking on you, just really quite curious at your words and actions.

I mean if you hit yourself with a hammer repeatedly and it hurts, you probably would want to stop hitting yourself with it no? Kind of the same analogy you are experiencing with GRAW, why continue to inflict pain on yourself?

Oliver, if you hate the game, don't like "hunny" why are you even bothering with the game and keep spreading the negativity around?

I am just curious why you are still hammering away at something you "loathe".

Because I was sucked in from day one on the promise of a GR title and I am so dissapointed in the end result.

Really disappointed.

This isn't the Ghost Recon I remember. And any folks happening upon this thread in the future should know that.

And you've proven his point. Its the short-sighted corporate mentality that goes after the largest dollar amount at the detriment of a games biggest fan base that sinks the ship.

Personally, (and I know I'm not alone), I'm back playing [GR] and my GRAW disk is back in the box and sitting with the rest of the bad game purchases I've made over the years. I wont be giving any more of my dollars for the add-on packs that UBI/GRIN are surely planning on releasing for GRAW. I also wont be pre-ordering any other game from either of them as well.

They've both shown their mettle by the promises they've made in regard to GRAW that were never delivered.

Well, someone with infinitly deep pockets could finance an altruistic non-profit video game developer to create the be-all, end-all video game at a reasonable price a large number of people would be willing to pay. Hell, look at America's Army..paid for by the U.S. federal government...FREE to the public...but I don't see anyone claiming AA is the greatest game ever.

Profit is a motive. Profit is a reasonable motive. Profit motive is what gives us choice & quality & the ability to balance between the 2. I own a construction company and I decide to do low volume/high quality work. As a result, no one is going to hire me to do a strip mall or self storage facility. But I pick my customers by picking the projects I want to build, and UBI picks their customers. They didn't pick you today, and you won't pick them tomorrow. That's cool. It's a free country.

What most of us wanted I suspect is GR1 with better graphics and to lose the bugs.

I really cant see why that has become so hard, the more complicated you make it the more you move away from the original.

Mind you I can maybe see some one do something similar towards the end or early next year to [GR] which resembles the above.

Have to waite and see.

Our day will come but like WK says I doubt it will be Ubisoft Direction that gives it to us.

You're very right Colin.

I think GR:AW is a great SP game - for obvious reasons I don't have the MP experience. One of those reasons I digged up from an old GR thread - the longest in the history of the game and worthwhile a read, even a "bump" on the original site maybe.

This is what I found and miss today besides the so often mentioned 9-men squad:

Going back to the original post of this thread, I believe the greatest aspect of this game is its direct IP hosting MP.

Someone here mentioned DOS Mech. That is when I started gaming. DOS-Mech, Mech2 (2d & 3d) Mech3, BattleZone, GR, Mech4. Great games. Great friends. Many now moved on--lost in the maze of newer games. Many of these aforemetioned games no longer MP.

Yepper the direct IP hosting will allow those in the circle I belong to, to enjoy this game for a long time. For some of us the mainstay now is 1942, for some it's plant side, for some it's tribes. Others I don't even keep up with. However, we always seem to get together once a week for "The Tuesday Night Fights." It may not be the same folks every week. But within a given month we all pretty much have touch as least a couple of games together. It is not just the DoW either. Some of the boys from the KoV and »ÂRF« join in as well. We all kind of came out of BattleZone.

Direct IP hosting of GR has allow us to stay in touch and have a common ground upon which to continue our friendships. Many of us go back well over 5 years together. I can see that until the full 64 bit systems become the mainstay that GR will continue in this very important role.

Olds

and if you're in for 30 pages ups and downs "weekend read":

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...m/749103032/p/1

Damn Greyhaired, that thread dates back to when Ubi had that old forum software (prior to 2003). I don't' even think I posted much there when that thread was started. Wombat, Snipe, Sportsguy and Digger were all there too. Crazy bunch of sots y'all were. ;) I just found that Minerva is in that thread too. When was that thread first started (as in what year)?

I wouldn't be surprised if GR4 is already doomed. But that's an orange of another color...

Yeah Burnt Orange. Been playiing [GR] since day one, now after two letdowns , I can promise you your speculation is correct. Im not looking forward to any new Ghost Recon title ,,,,sorry ........brothers.

@ taw angel: [GR] WAS great from the beginning, u obviously never played it when it was released. Even the fricking demo was great, good support nice misisons 9mmeber tem, direct ip connect. Guns and maps and misisons came along with the mods , but the fundaments were already there and they were solid.............graw aint

@Zero : no probs man its just a shame to see the coop community crumble to pieces, and for us (omega ops) we will be looking into Armed Assault as soon as possible and we will be holding our yearly tourney in there if that future is bright............

cu than

-M-

That is correct most of the [GR] matchs were done on the first offering. So what we got a few patchs later, Overall [GR] without DS and IT was a complete hit all by it self.

Yeah we sure were a bunch of tossers, WhiteKnight.

It's just to show a bit of what was going on in that community in "+4 on direct IP" gaming and it's an aspect of gaming that GRAW cannot offer and it's a pity.

Take care :thumbsup:

PS in reply: thread started April 2003

OK, I did post at Ubi back then but I guess I just ignored that thread. Funny who all stopped in there to say something though. Come to think of it, almost all y'all post here now at some time or another. Funny ain't it?

I have just read through this thread in its entirety. With all the back and forth our friends from GRIN have carefully avoided answering one question which would put a lid on most of the discontent (not all).

Will GRAW ever be able to handle multiple objective [GR] style server sided missions with at least 8 players with observers?

I humbly await an answer from GRIN.

I have just read through this thread in its entirety. With all the back and forth our friends from GRIN have carefully avoided answering one question which would put a lid on most of the discontent (not all).

Will GRAW ever be able to handle multiple objective [GR] style server sided missions with at least 8 players with observers?

I humbly await an answer from GRIN.

Four weeks ago it was said in another thread "not at this time."

How ever quite a lot that had this same sentence has been achieved and finished in add ons to the game already.

Looking at the teams past history I would say, they would like to see it done but are waiting for the go ahead and finance from Ubisoft.

This is just a guess no more.

Edited by Colin

The answer

*drum Rolll*****

No.... not as it is currently. Maybe a mod or patch could fix it but I doubt it.

oh inteasting topic btw... i missed most of it.

Funny you should say that, OliverReed... Considering the last two days you've been visiting our squad server.

Seems surprising that you continue to play a game that you obviously despise.

I do despise it - no, loathe it! - but I did want to try out the 1.3 patch just to make sure.

Plus, I was looking for the chance to call you "Hunny" online :D

Man, I guess this statement above in bold, is a true testement of his character... Like someone here said, Why are you here, if this game makes you so miserable? I guess just to start arguments and trouble... Dang, GROW UP and MOVE ON...

Edited by Stormin

But I actually enjoyed the rare opportunities I've had to play alongside (or against) the infamous OliverReed.

And as for the 'HUNNY' comment being repeated there, I'm sure the individual for whom it was intended can take a joke. If not, then I submit to you that it is NOT OliverReed who needs to grow up...

One last thing- can we get this fine thread a gift for sake of giving? Say, a nice PADLOCK? It's outlived it's usefulness...

But I actually enjoyed the rare opportunities I've had to play alongside (or against) the infamous OliverReed.

And as for the 'HUNNY' comment being repeated there, I'm sure the individual for whom it was intended can take a joke. If not, then I submit to you that it is NOT OliverReed who needs to grow up...

One last thing- can we get this fine thread a gift for sake of giving? Say, a nice PADLOCK? It's outlived it's usefulness...

AGREED on the outlived it's usefulness...

Edited by Stormin

I can take a joke when it's appropriate to do so. However, in the context he first used that comment, I found it highly derogatory and harassing.

The second time he said it, which is the on now being quoted, is a joke.

The second time he said it, which is the on now being quoted, is a joke.

That's the one I mean.

But you deserved the first one...