Ghost Recon.net Forums
Silentwolf

Creating a Forum

hi, basicly i was wondering if someone could tell what / where to download a forum / message board, that can be intergrated into my exsisting website?

all the forum templates i've seen you have to pay for, which i don't want to do!

also i found this HERE if someone could tell wether or not it's any good and can be intergrated into my clans new website

also i found this HERE if someone could tell wether or not it's any good and can be intergrated into my clans new website

It's certainly one of the best free ones out there, with a lot of user support etc. I'sd say that would be a good starting point for you.

Thanks for replies guys, i tried out the phpBB thing, and to be honest, i wanted something that's gonna be intergrated more in the site, something thats gonna blend in

my new site addy is www.born2kill-hq.co.uk

very simple looking, but it has everything, i mean i love this forum, did you have to purchase it rocky? or was it part of the site?

i mean i've been looking around, and must say, all the free fourms are a bit poop, so if i did have to purchase one, do you have any recomendations?

once again, thanks for your time

i mean i love this forum, did you have to purchase it rocky? or was it part of the site?

This one or vbulletin are the big boys really, but yeh you have to pay. For this one there is a one off license of about $70 that buys you the forum for life, and support for a year, or about $160 + $30 annually (I think) for lifetime support - that's what we have here.

it may not seem as though you have said alot rocky, but thanks, vBulletin is just what i was looking for!

and wOw, how vast it is! "big boys" is right

now to figure it all out and get it looking good and intergrated, thanks rocky

Personally IPB is worth the money.

It the most extensive and i found it easy to reskin with its built in css editor.

Ps i only charge a small license fee for clans using my name. Payments to my paypal account borntokill@borntokill.com more than welcome.

j/k :rofl:

...i found it easy to reskin with its built in css editor.

:mellow:

Its crazily hard to skin, so many annoying little template bits. The blog component is especially bad. However, I have heard Vb is even harder to skin... :ermm:

I don't think there is too much between IPB and Vb in terms of features and functionality. Either one is a good choice. :)

I agree editing css can be a PIA having to check every page and viewing the source to find the correct class names to edit and change.

Thats why where i work i wrote a point and click css editor in javascript.(the worlds first i believe).

Maybe i should license it out to IPB and others.

Thats why where i work i wrote a point and click css editor in javascript.(the worlds first i believe).

I'm intrigued... :hmm:

The DOM can be accessed and manipulated via javascript. Although writting a cross browser editor was a headache due to the different ways browsers access the DOM.

well, you aint bloody kidding about the re-skinning thing, it's annoying the hell out of me, any kind tutorial would be good there!

its not that i cant do it, it's the figuring out what script template is for what section, i mean, you'd think "main body" would be the main boxes to all the site, but NOOOOOO!

lol, oh well, back to the drawing board!

I personally despise vBulletin and the way it handles it's permission masks...

IPB is the easiest and cleanest when it comes to any kind of forum maintenance.

IPB can be a bit of a pain to skin, but it's also not all that hard once you figure it out... Took me a good 4 days to figure out. vBulletin I'm still figuring out and how it handles everything backasswards... vBulletin needs to revamps it's way of handling the permissions.

For a free forum system, phpBB or SMF are too good systems to use that are free. phpBB is pretty easy to skin.

I wish phpBB would add more features and things that IPB have. Maybe someone should port it since it's open source. ;)

Among free and open source software, phpBB tops my list. Fairly good product, huge MOD database, and pretty good support.

If you haven't got much time, and want to see what the new phpbb3 can offer, just try it out on this host : create forum

Hope this can help!

i dont know if it's a viable option in terms of licensing etc but i have what i think is the last version of IPB to be free (2.0.0) some where in the depths of my hdd that i could dig out for anyone who wants it...