M4A1 Carbine

Brettzies

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as I am at home right now I cant really say what types of objects they are but if you wait just a few more days and get the new patch, all your questions will be rendered moot!:)

..teaaasing..teeaaasing, you will see:D

oh, you're bad...very bad. :lol: By a few days I hope you mean tomorrow! Only because we have a 3 day weekend coming up and I could put some real time into this finally. Either way, I'll probably continue to mess with it. Good to know though, I'll be looking out for it.

Besides now that I got a side pic, the front sight assembly is scaled wrong

I actually did scale this down for SWAT4. I didn't like the aimpoint riding high for that game. The front sight was originally more like the wireframe in the pic below. And yes, I know the aimpoint doesn't line up with the sight, that's why I scaled the front sight before based on your's or someone's comment from the other thread. I'm going to put it back to the proper proportion for this game, and it will have the carrying handle sight as default.(those do line up. I'm modeled them that way). Some model problems are easy to fix, others may be a pain and maybe not even worth it.

Ah, yes the front sight post looks alot better in the wireframe view.

I also really like the RIS model, good job on making the 3D detail in the heat vents rather than just doing that with a texture - it looks alot better. The rail numbers on the side are also a really nice touch, I've been thinking of adding them to the SCAR texture in game for a while now.

Also of note, on M-4A1 / M-16A2 and newer versions the bottom 3 ports on the flash hider have been removed to limit muzzle climb and dust kick-up when firing prone. :thumbsup:

Clark

as I am at home right now I cant really say what types of objects they are but if you wait just a few more days and get the new patch, all your questions will be rendered moot!:)

Moot, as in you are going to give us a utility to design new 3d objects without the ridiculously expensive 3dsmax??? That would be mootness!

Moot, as in you are going to give us a utility to design new 3d objects without the ridiculously expensive 3dsmax??? That would be mootness!

Wings 3D, a utility to design new 3d objects without the ridiculously expensive 3dsmax.

Wings 3D, a utility to design new 3d objects without the ridiculously expensive 3dsmax.

While you can use any 3d program to make the meshes, you still need 3dsMax version 7(that's Seven, not 8 or 9) in order to use the diesel plugin. Personally I'm a Maya user, and while I've used many 3d programs, Max is low on my list of desirables. But, that's what lots of game studios ultimately use, so we just have to deal with it.

I have some more questions if anyone could shed some light on them. I think a lot of the crashing I'm experiencing has to do with Material names.

<material name="scar_light" src="skinned_bump_uv2_cube">

<material name="scar_light_nocube" src="skinned_bump">

<material name="scar_light_noskin" src="bump_cube_instanced">

<material name="casings" src="bump_cube_instanced">

The above is stripped out of the materials xml for the scar_light. I assume the first one is the main surface, and the casings is for the bullet. But what about the nocube and noskin? What are they for, and if the object doesn't have them will it crash?

the 1st and the 2nd are assigned to loda and loda animated parts, the 3rd is for lod b and c (coz they are not skinned) and the 4th is for bullets..

I guess you're not in the beta group or else you would have all the stuff you need :rolleyes:

Seeing as there's only two of us doing any new modeled weapons so far, you and me apparently ;) , I guess it's proportionate? Seriously though, why is the mod information tied to the beta testing or how do I get on it? I even bought another copy of this game on CD today because my DVD copy doesn't work well in my drive(securom only recognizes it 10% of the time) and I wanted to get some serious work done on this weapon over the 3 day holiday. I'd buy a new dvd drive, but I'm buying a whole new system soon and it just seemed easier to get a CD copy, works great too : )

So now I'm out two copies and no mod love??!?!? What's the hold up? That's almost like paying for the beta and not getting anything? But thanks for the info, it does make sense now.

No real progress. I'm a little tired of guessing, so I'll wait for the next patch and then maybe try again if I have time. I did update the mag a bit, and put some bullets in it. In the meantime, I suppose I should build a foregrip or even an M203. Get some more things ready for the game perhaps, if it ever gets that far.

m4_render_18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I downloaded the new patch(1.3) at lunchtime. Looks like the most useful thing with regards to the weapons is the actual max refrence files. Mainly for scale, orientation, and position, but also to see where things are and parented to, how they are named, etc. Theoretically, it could be as simple as swapping out the meshes and repositioning the nulls. Making sure things have the right material as well and being able to see what Grin named them. That's caused crashing before with the mag I noticed when materials aren't correct. I didn't have much time to poke around, but I did noticed the scar lod_a seemed to have Material #10 assigned to it? Is that right? Shouldn't it be the skin material? Max is not my main app so maybe I was looking at the wrong thing.

Also looks like they provided some characters. I didn't open those files yet. Will be interesting to see what they are and if we can add new character models. I have no idea how their binding or joint weighting is done. I assume this is how you animate the first person and third person stuff since it's all the same in this game.

Hopefully I can get something done on this. Max is my main hurdle.

So, just when I was about to get extra specially frustrated with this, I made a tiny bit of progress using my test low res model. Obviously there are a lot of things wrong, like the aimpoint being built in and the scar ironsight there, but FINALLY, I got the actual weapon in. That's the scarL mag too. Still a lot of unknowns, like zooming in and textures, but some actual lined up geometry at last! Some pics:

m4_graw_02_bodytest.jpg

m4_graw_04_crosscom.jpg

m4_graw_05_test1st.jpg

So, just when I was about to get extra specially frustrated with this, I made a tiny bit of progress using my test low res model. Obviously there are a lot of things wrong, like the aimpoint being built in and the scar ironsight there, but FINALLY, I got the actual weapon in. That's the scarL mag too. Still a lot of unknowns, like zooming in and textures, but some actual lined up geometry at last! Some pics:

From what I've noticed, there seems to be a generic zoom level associtated with the sight types. So I would figure that all you would have to do is add the particular scope and go from there.