Ghost Recon.net Forums
PONDLIFE

[best tactic to use when entering buildings?]

Can someone give me any tips on whats the best tactic to use when entering buildings? I'm currently playing Island Thunder on Single player and Veteran settings but when ever i try to open doors to buildings i tend to get shot before ive even had chance to enter room or line up a shot. Ive even tried to set up Alpha and Bravo to enter by computer AI to storm buildings by using different doors but still my teams get taken out! anyone?????

I take it that you are probably on the second mission.

The AI in GR are pretty dumb, and predictable, so I just position myself to the right or left of the door and open it. Then I toss a grenade into the door and back off just a bit to get out of the way of the blast.

I always have Bravo on the other side of the door so I quickly switch and shoot up anyone on the other side of the room that survives the blast.

Of course there is the total noob method. Take the OICW and then from a distance blast the front door open. Then immediately launch a barage of grenades into the entire room while sweeping from left to right or right to left getting a view into the room from various angles.

Of course you can to this with the M16 with M203, if you feel "cheap" using the noob cannon.

Good luck!

I usually take a frag to the door, then take a SAW to cover my approach as I move closer to the door. Or, a frag to blast open the door, then throw another in. That will usually clear out any immediate threat and you can crouch next to the door as slowly shuffle in.

I enjoy room clearing. :g_guns:

Here we go here go here we go![/AmericasArmy]

Never stand in the doorway to open a door. Don't be afraid to fire on the move (preferably the shuffle, default: left Alt). Peak around corners. Use M67 fragmention grenades. Use the M203 UGL to clear rooms from the outside if they have non-boarded up windows.

Blimey jchung thats spooky because you guessed right about the level i was on :)

Thanks all for the advice, i guess i was going about it the wrong way and trying to open the doors real close (in my defence, i was going for the stealth approach)

Whats the deal with throwing grenades, you seem to get two rets that fill up clock wise for however long you hold mouse down? i understand that the second one is how powerfull the throw is but whats with the first one?

Regards. pOndliFE

Blimey jchung thats spooky because you guessed right about the level i was on :)

Thanks all for the advice, i guess i was going about it the wrong way and trying to open the doors real close (in my defence, i was going for the stealth approach)

Whats the deal with throwing grenades, you seem to get two rets that fill up clock wise for however long you hold mouse down? i understand that the second one is how powerfull the throw is but whats with the first one?

Regards. pOndliFE

The first one is not a ret, but a "timer" that shows how long it is taking to switch from your primary to taking out a grenade. Unlike some other games like Operation Flashpoint that show the animation of switching your weapon, the GR series uses the "pie-like timer". Just one of the many annoying shortcomings in an otherwise good game.

Have fun, there are some really nice maps coming up in the campaign, and I'm sure everyone here will be more than happy to offer any more tips. We will keep an eye on this thread. :thumbsup:

Cheers jchung, thanks for clearing up the grenade problem. I only bought the game to see what all the fuss was about after reading the initial complaints that GRAW recieved in that forum, being compared to the original! As much as i enjoy GRAW I've got to say, this one is as addictive as hell too.

Grenade Tip: Press the fire key to throw the grenade softly, hold the fire key to throw it a long distance

I would use a passenger pigeon. Clip a note on him in multiple languages requesting intel, and fly him in. If he flys back out the door, you know it's clear to move in.

I would use a passenger pigeon. Clip a note on him in multiple languages requesting intel, and fly him in. If he flys back out the door, you know it's clear to move in.

And if you would like to experience Cruusher's unique forum of co-op humor, you should get TeamSpeak installed and stop by AlphaSquad's Public co-op GR server. We have lots of missions that will help develop your room clearing and general tactical skills. You can find server info at http://alpha.websmart.ro/forums/index.php/topic,277.0.html

As much as i enjoy GRAW I've got to say, this one is as addictive as hell too.

:yes: Sometimes I like to set up one squad just off to one side of the door opening then I sneak up and open the door from the opposite side then retreat a safe distance and fire off a few rounds from my rifle and watch as my other squad cuts them down when they come out looking for me.

And if you would like to experience Cruusher's unique forum of co-op humor, you should get TeamSpeak installed and stop by AlphaSquad's Public co-op GR server. We have lots of missions that will help develop your room clearing and general tactical skills. You can find server info at http://alpha.websmart.ro/forums/index.php/topic,277.0.html

Cruush, remember we tried that the other week...it didn't work. We found an adorable kitten to be more effective in clearing a room. The sheer "cuteness" kills anyone more evil than Krast. :shifty:

On a related note, always open a door from an angle or the doorjamb...try to minimize your exposure. If you're playing multiplayer, working in a team of two is preferred. One to throw the nade, one to cover.

While we are on the topic of room clearing or is it me or did the game say an M249 could be used to open a door? Or am I thinking of Americas Army? :wacko:

Cheers jchung, thanks for clearing up the grenade problem. I only bought the game to see what all the fuss was about after reading the initial complaints that GRAW recieved in that forum, being compared to the original! As much as i enjoy GRAW I've got to say, this one is as addictive as hell too.

If you like this game then you REALLY should try Operation Flashpoint. To me OFP is the game that has everthing GR is missing, and then some. OFP isn't exactly a perfectly realistic game (what game is right?), but it is far more realistic than ANY Ghost Recon game.

While we are on the topic of room clearing or is it me or did the game say an M249 could be used to open a door? Or am I thinking of Americas Army? :wacko:

You can't open a door with an M249, but you can shoot through wooden doors with all firearms in GR. If you're lucky and a bad guy is directly behind the door he'll be hit.

You can destroy doors that are made of wood with grenades (M67 or M203/ OICW), I'm not sure if claymores work, too.

:D

CC

I stack up beside the door and open it at an angle, then throw a frag in.

Theres a couple of other ways, like setting a Claymore in front of the door and initializing detonation, firing through wooden doors work if the enemies are behind it.

In MP I try to get people to use tactics but they dont actually listen to any of my commands (Flank Right, Flank Left, Stack Up, Frag, etc.). But in Team mode its nice to have one or two people with you as Rossiski noted.

In other words join a squad :thumbsup:

Train Hard, Fight Easy & Die Quickly lol :g_guns:

All the above work, Strangely sometimes the claymore will kill ppl behind the door, but not distroy the door <_<

I also wanna add that i found Claymores to be good for Snipers, and if you need to retreat, leaving one of those behind is a good idea ;).

What's all this talk about nades, SAWs, and claymores? Don't we want to find out if there's even a threat inside before we start blowing stuff up? I almost never use a nade or GL round to make an entry unless it's absolutely necessary. What would my teammates think if I used brute force instead of pure style and finesse to overcome the enemy?

In real-life, the book tells you to use overwhelming force to minimize risks to the friendlies.

But in gaming, when doing entries and room clearing it's not about how much force you use, it's about how good you look doing it! So dust off your silenced 9MM Beretta, your Armani sport jacket and sport shirt, practice your forward rolls and back flips and go get em!

But if that doesn't work out for you take note that the very slow leaning in GR while standing or crouched will get you killed but leaning while prone works VERY well.