360 Consumables and GRAW

W1ngsh0t

Xbox 360 Consuming All

Spend more money now on Xbox Live Marketplace as Microsoft unveils "Consumables" initiative.

by IGN UK Staff

UK, August 16, 2006 - For anyone that really loves spending their hard-earned cash, Microsoft's Xbox Live Marketplace is like a dream come true. For example, having blown your wad once on your original game purchase, the obligatory follow-up content expansions offer infinite opportunities to splash even more dough. Sometimes, this actually works out quite well - see Oblivion's run of quality stuff like the Thieves Den swash-buckle-a-thon. Sometimes, it's a bit of a gip - see Oblivion's utterly rubbish horse armour pack.

Now however, Microsoft is set to launch its latest initiative, known as "Consumables" - unveiled at Gamefest 2006 by Xbox Live Marketplace business manager, Rohan Oommen - promising new and exciting opportunities to spend more money in increasingly diverse ways. Essentially, "Consumables" are in-game assets that can deplete and be re-purchased - think forking over cash for the equivalent in in-game currency, or paying for armour that wears down as you battle. Microsoft intends to incorporate this technology into its next Xbox 360 SDK update.

Additionally, Microsoft plans to integrate Marketplace more closely into games themselves, enabling players to purchase items in-game, via NPC vendors and the like. Initially, goods purchased during play will be stored in a 'shopping basket', with a visit to the Xbox Live Marketplace required to hand over your cash and complete the transaction. No word yet if you can skip that whole handing over real-world money thing by stabbing your friendly vendor in the face with your scabbard.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you all think about paying for ammo in GRAW? It might cut down on run and gunning and respawn games...

Also, maybe you could loot your enemies for their "consumables" ....

If this comes in the form of true "Micro Transactions" (so far most DLC has been a macro transaction in my economic terms) say 1 - 5 MS points it could be interesting. But I see a lot of developers (not pointing any fingers at RSE -in fact they have been slow in terms of hitting us up multiple times for in game content) out there drooling at the opportunity to seperate Johnny from his monthly allowance...

While it's a good idea, it just wouldn't work. I say this kind of thing should be left to the game. Where you pay ficticious cash for ficticious objects.

Think about it... you've played GRAW since Day 1. You've mastered all of its intricacies. Then comes this arrogant newbie, with a fat stack of cash, and wins over you because no matter how many times you kill him, he can pay for a respawn. You can't. He eventually 203 spams the crap out of you, and you lose.

Besides, it would be blown way out of proportion by the greedy people.

well devs. can do whatever they want as far as nickel and diming as long as it doesnt actually affect the actual content it releases when the game is originally sold...if they sell a ghost recon game with only 5 different weapons and then start selling the rest off after release then id be sincerely upset...As far as selling "better" equipment to others i doubt that will happen but ultimately i suppose it dependant on what game we are dealing with...its too bad that old games used to implement their own in-game point system to open unlockables whereas now we are expected to really pay for them....

Imagine buying madden next year with a bunch of naked guys running around and having to pay to actually put uniforms on them...sheesh..the packers would be in a world of hurt...

Imagine buying madden next year with a bunch of naked guys running around and having to pay to actually put uniforms on them...sheesh..the packers would be in a world of hurt...

Too funny :rofl:

To take it back to GRAW I can see my character running around the Jungles in his skivvies since I invested all the cash in weapons and ammo .... Rambo anyone?

Too funny :rofl:

To take it back to GRAW I can see my character running around the Jungles in his skivvies since I invested all the cash in weapons and ammo .... Rambo anyone?

Spend a buck or two on a headband, and maybe 15 bucks tops on the mullet (his haircut couldn'tve been more expensive) and you're set! :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...