Ghost Recon.net Forums
Dick Splash

No Sound After PC Upgrade

This was taken from Creative's knowledge base forum;

Make Sure Windows can Recognize the Device

Checking the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties will determine if Windows is properly recognizing the device and determine if the sound card is selected as the default device for sound playback.

Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel and Sounds and Audio Devices or Sounds and Multimedia.

Click the Audio tab.

Check the Default device under Sound playback and Sound recording. Make sure the sound card is selected.

If the sound card is not properly listed, the drivers were not properly installed and will need to be reinstalled.

If no sound cards are listed and the boxes are grayed out, Multimedia is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled.

The quote in red is my diagnosis.

How do I reinstall Windows Multimedia?

DS

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup -> Multimedia

You're on your own from there, as it's been so long since I worked with 98. You'll need the CD or at least the cab files to fix it.

My god DS, you don't have your tech troubles to seek do you?!!!

I've just spoken to the Asus tech support people and they advised and explained how to disable the motherboard sound. I thought that that would be 'THE' answer. Well, I then removed the SB Live drivers as they suggested and rebooted.

Still nothing. :(

Basically, the latest drivers have been installed and there are no conflicts. The motherboard sound has been disabled and so everything should now be OK.

I'm playing games with no sound and I haven't heard one of my tunes in weeks!!!

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DS

Is it a hardware issue? You might be able to test if it's a hardware issue by using a Linux Live CD and booting into that.

edit: Or pop it into another computer and try it?

Edited by firefly2442

Is it a hardware issue?

I've thought that, but I 'reluctantly' took my PC to Best Buy last week and I got sound........for a short while at least.

I'd installed my new HD, but didn't connect it as I wanted to sort out the sound before adding more possible issues. The lad got the sound going fairly quickly but then we lost the sound after he connected the HD. This puzzled us both, so we back tracked, disconnected the new HD but never got the sound back.

It's got to be something really simple, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

DS

It's got to be something really simple, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

It's called "install Windows XP" :shifty::whistle:

It's called "install Windows XP" :shifty::whistle:
Well it's worked perfectly fine for the last six years on 98SE :nono: ........so why now? :(

DS

Didn't you get new hardware? New mobo is a significant change from what you were running before. Running an 8 year-old OS with a new mobo may cause some issues ...

BTW, did you install the software for your mobo? Does it support Win98? Chances are your mobo onboard sound these days is about as good as an original SB Live ...

Asus board? don't know if this is related, but i'm having pretty much the same problem with my Asus P5WD2 and an old SB Live Value! PCI card. i'm running a completely updated copy of XP Pro, latest drivers installed, everything looks proper, but there's no sound. i do have 3 IDE drives connected, but i'd rather wait to buy a new card and avoid removing them, than getting all of them redetected in POST on this board.

to answer your question CR6, think of it in terms of graphics horsepower... even if the onboard sound is using newer technology, it's never going to have as much freedom as a removable PCI card. any hard drive activity, CPU high load moments and even using my internet connection, all reflect in my headphones. not very loud, but still, undeniable noise. i never had that with my Dell, where the SB card is from. i'm going to try to get it to work again, my only concern is that this OEM version i've got will need a Dell mobo to connect an extra plug, like 20 pins. i'm not sure my board has it...

Didn't you get new hardware? New mobo is a significant change from what you were running before. Running an 8 year-old OS with a new mobo may cause some issues ...

BTW, did you install the software for your mobo? Does it support Win98? Chances are your mobo onboard sound these days is about as good as an original SB Live ...

I've spoken to ASUS tech support today and oddly enough they're only an hour and a half north of me. Anyway, he advised I disable the mobo sound, which I did and then robooted, but still nothing.

I've removed the multimedia files and reinstalled them off the OS CD but they're still greyed out.

Oddly enough, something I noticed today, there is no volume icon at the bottom right of my desktop. Isn't it normally next to the time? I've even removed the card completely and enabled the mobo sound but still nothing.

This has to be really simple to fix, it has to be! I know you're laughing about my OS but here's what I can see;

Card installed

Latest drivers installed correctly

No conflicts showing in the device manager

but.....Start/Setting/Control Panel/Multimedia......it's greyed out.

and.....Start/Setting/Control Panel/Sounds......it's greyed out.

It's the last two parts that are the key to this. I can't even get a windows sound sample, because the start key is greyed out.

Any thoughts here?

DS

Have you gone into the BIOS and disabled the on-board sound there too? Have you tried the sound card in a different slot? If not change slots then reinstall the Creative programs and drivers.

Have you gone into the BIOS and disabled the on-board sound there too? Have you tried the sound card in a different slot? If not change slots then reinstall the Creative programs and drivers.

Yes, I've done both of these and the latter was done at Best Buy whilst I was there with the Geek Squad kid.

DS

I know this may sound funny, but make sure your speaker connections are all firmly plugged, including power.

Also, if your sound card is disabled, your computer should start making those beeps for errors etc

I know this may sound funny, but make sure your speaker connections are all firmly plugged, including power.

Also, if your sound card is disabled, your computer should start making those beeps for errors etc

I've had the speakers plugged in and powered off and on as I've been doing this. They even plugged speakers in at Best Buy. When I got sound, the lad opened up the windows sounds in the control panel and he was 'then' able to click on the start button, because it 'wasn't' greyed out.

I have to say, since the upgrade, my PC doesn't even beep when it's booting up!

The key is 'ungreying' the multimedia and sound.

DS

OK, I've removed the sound card and removed the drivers. I've enabled the onboard sound and still nothing. Multimedia and sounds are still greyed out! :wall:

DS

OK, I've removed the sound card and removed the drivers. I've enabled the onboard sound and still nothing. Multimedia and sounds are still greyed out! :wall:

DS

you must've disabled more than just your onboard sound controller in the BIOS. try going back to BIOS defaults...

you must've disabled more than just your onboard sound controller in the BIOS. try going back to BIOS defaults...

But would that un-grey the multimedia controls and un-grey the windows sounds in control panel?

DS

Sounds like you need a reinstall of Win98 my friend ...

Hmmmm....I've had my suspicions here too. OK, obvious questions; How, and will I lose all of my games, MP3's etc.

BTW, I phoned Asus a few times today and I told them that I couldn't get any onboard sound. I was directed to their website and downloaded the latest audio drivers for 98SE [Yes.....98SE...LOL]. After figuring out how to extract it, it installed them, then asked me to restart. Now, as it restarted, I was asked to insert the 98SE CD, which I did, and then it wanted to install about half a dozen files. I clicked on browse and pointed it at the CD drive but it couldn't locate the files. To be honest I just pressed 'Skip File' because I didn't have a Scooby.

So of course, the two sound panels are still greyed out, but hey, at least I've got the latest audio drivers for my onboard.

Now what?

DS

Sounds like you need a reinstall of Win98 my friend ...

Hmmmm....I've had my suspicions here too. OK, obvious questions; How, and will I lose all of my games, MP3's etc.

Yes, you will lose all those things if you don't back them up. You can burn them on a CD, and you should anyway for regular backups.

My best advice is to get a 2nd hard drive (you can get 80GB cheap these days) and do a fresh install on the new HD (preferably WinXP of course), then you can still access your original files on your old HD.

I clicked on browse and pointed it at the CD drive but it couldn't locate the files. To be honest I just pressed 'Skip File' because I didn't have a Scooby.

Yeah, you shouldn't do that. If you can't locate the files, write down the names of the files that you can't find during installation, and find them using the search function in the File Explorer in Win98. Then delete the device, reboot, and then you can point the install to the right folders.

My best advice is to get a 2nd hard drive (you can get 80GB cheap these days) and do a fresh install on the new HD (preferably WinXP of course), then you can still access your original files on your old HD.
Well, great news at last. After a couple of weeks of twittering around, frustration got the better of me and I formatted my C drive two days ago. I'd already bought a 160GB as a second HD as part of my upgrade.

Anyway, I copied all of my music and photos to this new drive before I formatted the C. I bluffed my way through the formatting until I finally did it. I then installed 98SE off a brand new CD I'd brought to the US, along with its boot disc floppy and manual.

The first thing I checked was that multimedia and sounds weren't greyed out.....and to my joy I had sound!!!

The first Add New Hardware was my Sony monitor, and I went through installing all of the drivers one by one.

I've spent all day updating the OS [at 56k BTW] with 18.4MB of updates, updated Explorer to 6.0 Service Pack 1, and then finally Windows Media 9.

Until I'm confident that my PC's stable and I'm confident to do it, I'll attempt to install the SB Live card. As it is, the onboard sound decent with my pair of JBL's anyway.

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone in this thread. This, the people at Asus and the MS knowledge base have assisted in getting me there in the end.

DS

Congrats DS! Sounds like your sound files were corrupted beyond repair. Don't worry, reformating Win98 gets easier and easier the more times you do it :P

Microsoft also released a big chunk of the Win98 updates on a CD, so you don't have to go online.

Y'know, when I had Win98, I used to do a reformat every half year, as it would get corrupted and slow down significantly. I don't know if you heard that if you leave a Win98 machine on for a few days without touching it, it will actually crash.

Now that you have your data on a different hard drive, you can reformat you C: drive easily. I used to use a imaging program to do this back in the day ...