My first Build

NYR_32

I wasn't using an anti static strap, but made sure I continusly touched the outside of the case before handilng any components. Off to the basement to rip it a part.

<------ crossing fingers saying, please be something simple thats wrong.

Edited by NYR_32

I've narrowed the problem down to either the mobo, cpu, vidcard, or ram, I pulled everything out, check for lose screws and metal, masde sure I had the right amount of standoffs and screws, I even pulled the hd and the system still won't boot, I'm gonna try and use my pci geforce 2 to try and eliminate the vid card as the problem.

I tried my geforce 2 and it didn't work so its down to the mobo cpu, and ram, I guess I'm gonna have to call either Asus, Intel or Crucial :(

This kind of stuff always seems to happen to me, last night it was running fine then it freezes and won't boot up proprely, then it teases me with showing the bios and telling me to check the cpu settings and now it does nothing, I hope this all wasn't a big mistake on my part, building this thing. :(:(

:wall::wall:

Edited by NYR_32

Hmmmmm

Heck, If I lived even a few hours from your house, I'd drive over and take a look at it myself.

Ok, when you turn the computer on, is the screen still blank?

If Yes:

Do you have a soundcard, or on-board sound? Plug your speakers into the first audio output. Turn on your speakers then turn on your computer. If you have ASUS POST, you may hear a message. What does the message say?

(This may or may not work. Some soundcards require their drivers installed before they output sound.)

Do you have any components from your other computer that you could try? CPU or RAM?

Exactly how long was your hsf off?

Did you get all the way through installing your OS? Since it is a new HDD, you had to format and install the OS.

Is your CPU hot? You know you have to reapply the thermal compound every time you take the hs off.

You have been in the BIOS before yes? What options or startup protocols did you tweak?

The screen is still, blank even with another vid card, the mobo has on board sound but I disabled it in the BIOS and installed a Santa Cruz. The only other component I can try to use in that system is my vid card and I already did. The HS was off for about 30 secs and then the system turned itself off to protect the cpu from damage, I immediately checked to see what I messed op and clamped the hs down (that was the biggest mistake I can think of in the whole process of building) but the computer ran fine afterwords and I was able to install the OS, install the vid drivers, sound drivers, all the drivers and programs on the Asus Motherboard Cd, I also installed GR( I couldn't resist), MS Office 2000, and was in the Middle of instaling another program when the mouse stopped responding, and I tried crtl-alt-delete but nothing happened and I was forced to shut down by pressing the power button.

The only options in the BIOS ichanged were the Date and time, the amount of vid card ram from 64 to 128 mbs, and I disabled the onboard sound. I was running temps from 38 degrees celcius to 40 for the cpu and about 10 degrees. less on the mobo. I forgot to actually take the HS off when i striped down the system, should I?

Edited by NYR_32

I for got abput this, when I was able to get to the BIOS the last time this was the message about the cpu,

"During the last boot up, your system hung for an improper CPU setting. Your system in now working in Safe Mode. To optimize performance and reliability, make sure the CPU speed conforms to the specifications of your CPU"

Every thing ws correct, and then the BIOS froze.

Ok,

It is not your HDD. The drive sounds normal right? It spins when you turn the computer on. You were able to install a bunch of programs. No abnormal performance right?

I doubt it is your RAM. Normally, if you had RAM issues, you would just get system lockups in the OS or booting and a bunch of Blue Screen Errors with stuff like: 0.000007B RAM_ERROR_ or such....unless it got fried.

Motherboard...it's possible it got fried, however more unlikely than the CPU.

HSF wasn't on for a few seconds, CPU error messages in the BIOS or booting, and now - nothing. I think it might be the CPU.

Do you have any friends that you could bum a CPU from. Just to try it. Be sure to get the correct Socket processor for your mobo.

This is my deduction from all prior postings, though I could be wrong. Posting suggestions is just not the same as working on it. And like I said before, if I lived near your I'd look at it myself...seriously. If it is your CPU, it should still meet the 15-Day exchange for 'puter components.

I would still ask your teacher though...the more heads, the better.

GL NYR.

The HD is fine it spins up when I power up, I definately gonna ask my teacher, and I have to think if I know someone I can get another P4 from thats compatable with my board, I was leaning towards a CPU or MOBO faliure, but I'll see what I can do to determine which one is toast.

I wish I had locked down the dumb HSF from the start, because what I saw of this system it kicks serious butt and I was so looking forward to paying some GR on my new system today, with my bigger monitor, instead of the 14 inch one I was using to set it up with. :wall:

Thanks for all the help Dark Ranger, its is greatly appreciated.

I'm gonna wait a few days before I start messing with it again, and I'm gonna ask a few people who know alot more about computers than me if they can take a look at it, because I don't want to accidentaly mess up the good component. About trying a new memory stick, I couldn't even if I wanted to because there is no one I can think of that I can bum a stick of DDR off of, everyone I know either has RD, or SD, so I stuck there. I'll see what happens this week and maybe my computer teacher has components that are compatable with my system, that he will let me use to determine what the damaged component is. Thanks for the suggestions :D