My first Build

NYR_32

:D:D:D:D:D

Up and runnning P4 2.4ghz, with temps of 39.5 degrees celcius yeeeeeehaaaa

I had a couple of scares, like forgettung to lock down the cpu heatsink(whoops) but I finished assmebling it and am preparing to format the hard drive and install the the OS. :D:D:D Done with assembly in less than 2 and a half hours.

GJ, and I know youll like the rig ;) Are you using a stock/retail HSF?

Yep, I'm using the stock hs and fan, but I used Arctic Silver thermal compund instead of the stock thermal pad.

Edited by NYR_32

Way to go there NYR_32. You will get more satisfaction out of this machine than if you went to BestBuy...trust me. ;)

As for temps, yours are fine...perhaps later when you get your funds built back, you can get a good hsf combo.

Just be good to us now, and post some 3DMark Results. :rocky:

Just be good to us now, and post some 3DMark Results. :rocky:

I will, when I solve the major probelm I have encountered, It won't boot up anymore, but it did two times, and it took me stright to the BIOS and told me to check the CPU settings, everything looked ok to me, but after I exited the Bios I get a blank screen, just like when I try to boot up now :(, I'm gonna see what kind of help I can get off the Asus web site, but Im not sure at all what the probelm is. :(

Edited by NYR_32

The hs wasn't off for very long, the comp was up and running for 4 hrs before I encountered a problem, while installing software the mouse stopped responding and I had to shut the comp down, then when I tried to reboot, it gave me a blank screen and its still like that. All the fans are running, and the two times I was sent the bios, the cpu temps were low and I had no signs of a problem with the Cpu, there is an indicator light on the mobo itself that is lit up all the time, and from what I gather it only lights when the comp is in a standby mode, all I know is I must have messed something up. :(

Edited by NYR_32

The comp sent me directly to the bios only twice in like 20 tries, once last night, and then this morning, but all the other times I get a blank screen and nothing at all happens, I couldn't even run the posts if I wanted to. Trust me I have made sure everything is seated right at least two times .

Edited by NYR_32

Then my guess is that you somehow fried something...check the CPU and if it is I spose you could try RMA'ing it. But if you cant even get to BIOS...that means something is prolly fried or maybe your PSU isn'y turned on in the back :P Did you not notice any smoke or anything then? My knowledge kinda ends hear about this instense but the Others can prolly help you a lot more.

The psu is fine, I may have fried something, what I have no idea, may be the bios chip or something, I think the cpu is fine but I have no way to tell, I hope other people can give me some advice, but I'll search around to see if I can't dig up any info, or I'll wait unitl monday and ask my computer teacher if he wouldn't mind taking a look at if for me.

Frying the BIOS chip...I wonder how one would do that. Maybe the mobo went south. There are just so many things. And you're lucky to have a smart computer teacher, mine in 8th grade was an old Band teacher that thought she knew it all about computers.

I've got a pretty smart computer teacher, and another person I can ask who knows alot about computers and offered to help me if I needed it. But I'm still open to suggestions from forum members, maybe I just messed something stupidly simple up.

Edited by NYR_32

You should take everything off of your motherboard and out of the case once removed. You can test each hardware until locate the problem. Once you have motherboard in case then add memory and video card to board along with power supply. You should get through post if not then your video card or memory have a problem. After success then add another hardware device then power up to test. Keep it simple to narrow down your problem. Good luck :ph34r:

Yup, Nurface is right.

Were you grounded with an anti-static strap while assembling your components?

Take out everything except the PSU. Look on your motherboard plate for any stand-offs (the screw things that attach the mobo to the case panel) that are not needed. To do this, count the total number of screw holes on the mobo and then check to make sure the correct number of stand-offs are on the mobo plate.

Also check for any steel or aluminum bits that might be contacting your mobo.

Then, replace the motherboard, CPU, VGA card, and one stick of RAM. Connect power to the mobo, hsf and HDD.

Connect the IDE cable to the HDD(don't worry about the floppy or CD right now).

Power up. Where does it do?