Anticheat server option

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Girls/Guys just a heads up.

The Anticheat server option for This weeks Add on

When enabled this feature will run certain checks to match the client with the server. Note that this will affect any users with modded files, including the main GRAW.exe.

If you wish to play using modified files, make sure the server configuration matches your own, or you will not be able to play (this includes all files in the ./local/ directory).

Colin

Posted

We can just move the folders in the Local folder out of there if we want to go online, not that big of a deal.

Posted

As a quick question on this subject, Colin...

Does the game detect any folders within the local folder, or only the active one?

Meaning, since I use SierraSeven's mod launcher if I have a bunch of mods that are sitting within the local folder, but the language setting within the context.xml is NOT set to run any of those mods, am I still going to have problems connecting to servers?

Posted (edited)

Does the game detect any folders within the local folder, or only the active one?

Meaning, since I use SierraSeven's mod launcher if I have a bunch of mods that are sitting within the local folder, but the language setting within the context.xml is NOT set to run any of those mods, am I still going to have problems connecting to servers?

Arg, we barley got thirdperson, and now, when we get it, we wont be able to use it online... oh well, single player is going to be the basis for me any way (thidperson view is too cool to give up imho), until tdm that is... better msg GRIN (if they would even take a gaze at the idea of implementing a keymapped thirdperson arg...)

Edited by Beers

Posted

Even if its just performance tweaks? I run an 128 AGP card and I can't play graw for nothing without my tweaks.

Posted (edited)

Even if its just performance tweaks? I run an 128 AGP card and I can't play graw for nothing without my tweaks.

I don't think your config would matter... but, what files did you edit? If you needed to unbundle the game, change physics, or gameplay I would say it would mess with punkbuster(or whatever they are using)... if not then you may be able to keep your tweaks :P

Edited by Beers

Posted

This weeks addon? That's good news, because in all this threads about this patch, I didn't read it would come this week.

Posted

This weeks addon? That's good news, because in all this threads about this patch, I didn't read it would come this week.

hmm, maybe colin knows something we don't? Anyways, it won't matter once we get mod support from GRIN. :grin1:

Posted

I don't think your config would matter... but, what files did you edit? If you needed to unbundle the game, change physics, or gameplay I would say it would mess with punkbuster(or whatever they are using)... if not then you may be able to keep your tweaks :P

I tweaked the rendersettings.xml to have certain texture set to low/medium/high, and to have the majority of the workload sent to my RAM instead of my GPU. I have a AMD 4200 and it picks up the slack of my GFX card. Same tweaks allow me to run Oblivion on full high siettings.

Posted (edited)

I tweaked the rendersettings.xml to have certain texture set to low/medium/high, and to have the majority of the workload sent to my RAM instead of my GPU. I have a AMD 4200 and it picks up the slack of my GFX card. Same tweaks allow me to run Oblivion on full high siettings.

Changes to rendersettings.xml wouldn't be compared (unless they made a major goof up, which I'm going to assume they didn't). Otherwise everyone would have to run the exact same graphics settings to play on the same server and that would just be retarded.

Edited by TedSmith

Posted

This is good, since it will be more difficult to cheat now, but won't this also kill modding?

I would infer from Colin's post that even if a server is running a mod, players without the mod can't join.

Posted

With repsect this is only the start and things will move on.

Server and client files need to be identical. With the same dates.

We are only in the second month of the game give it time.

Remember your comments are read well most of them, and the Team are willing to learn from us as much as we from them.

Once this is released have a look at it and then come back in with feedback.

Colin

Posted

Wait, the same freaking DATES? So since I at one point modified my quickbundle file, I'm going to have to reinstall becuase the date has now changed? Only 100% untouched fresh installs will work?

Posted

A feature like this will have certain undocumented qualities to it, so I'll clarify with some answers to your questions.

We can just move the folders in the Local folder out of there if we want to go online, not that big of a deal.

Good (and working) suggestion. You can (and should if you have a local language version) leave the French, Spanish, Italian, German folders and their sounds and strings subdirectories.

The system will check your local folder, irregardless of context.xml settings.

Settings files won't be checked. You should pretty much only worry about stuff in "local" that's not the default text strings, sounds or movies.

This is good, since it will be more difficult to cheat now, but won't this also kill modding?

I would infer from Colin's post that even if a server is running a mod, players without the mod can't join.

This is true. Unless the server has the same files you do you won't be allowed to play on it.

Wait, the same freaking DATES? So since I at one point modified my quickbundle file, I'm going to have to reinstall becuase the date has now changed? Only 100% untouched fresh installs will work?

The dates don't matter. Edit: if you modified it, though, it wouldn't match the server's and would shut you out for that reason instead.

S

Posted (edited)

I must admit, I'm somewhat concerned about this. While people can still get around it by moving folders around, it's just one more thing that makes using mods more inconvenient and I wonder at the effect it will have on the number of people willing to try them.

Is there any way to get us an actual 'mods' folder in the future that the game won't check against the server files unless the mods are activated on either client or server?

Edit: Oh, and another question...

I take it this means that if we have the quick.bundle extracted, we'll have to remove all the extracted files that shouldn't be there from a stock install? I suppose it's easy enough to extract the data folder somewhere else to have access to the files for modding in the future, though I've always had mine extracted to the appropriate locations within the GRAW root folder.

Edited by TedSmith

Posted (edited)

This is true. Unless the server has the same files you do you won't be allowed to play on it.

After thinking this over... I think we could make a master mod pack for servers and clients to download... Therefore, people don't need to worry about it too much... however, many people who create the games may not have the client, but giving this person a heads up on this, so far non-existant, mod could solve that. I would like to see servers with the realism, blood, and hopefully thirdperson keymapped :P , then again thats just one man's opinion, im sure u guys have urs :)

(an example could be the halo2 mod for halo pc... but way less extensive, as we wont need custom maps, just standardized configs for both client and server...)

Edited by Beers

Posted

I must admit, I'm somewhat concerned about this. While people can still get around it by moving folders around, it's just one more thing that makes using mods more inconvenient and I wonder at the effect it will have on the number of people willing to try them.

Is there any way to get us an actual 'mods' folder in the future that the game won't check against the server files unless the mods are activated on either client or server?

Edit: Oh, and another question...

I take it this means that if we have the quick.bundle extracted, we'll have to remove all the extracted files that shouldn't be there from a stock install? I suppose it's easy enough to extract the data folder somewhere else to have access to the files for modding in the future, though I've always had mine extracted to the appropriate locations within the GRAW root folder.

We had to find a short term solution between allowing mods and stopping the quick and easy cheat hacks - and mods suffer from it. We have some ideas on how to deal with the mods, this is still being discussed.

And yes, you will. If you're an avid modder my suggestion at this point would be having 2 installs of the game, or 2 "local"(local and local-mod) folders with a batch file to rename them properly before starting your game.

Posted

..so if we find easy workarounds to run mods, we will let you know in private Stickan, if you guys are already workin' on a mod support there is no need to make cheatter's life simpler :thumbsup:

Posted

And yes, you will. If you're an avid modder my suggestion at this point would be having 2 installs of the game, or 2 "local"(local and local-mod) folders with a batch file to rename them properly before starting your game.

I got two install of the game and I think that right now is the easiest solution (for me at least), we just have to wait for the mod support but by night we will finally have an editor that compensate :lol:

Posted

..so if we find easy workarounds to run mods, we will let you know in private Stickan, if you guys are already workin' on a mod support there is no need to make cheatter's life simpler :thumbsup:

;)

Posted

We had to find a short term solution between allowing mods and stopping the quick and easy cheat hacks - and mods suffer from it. We have some ideas on how to deal with the mods, this is still being discussed.

I find this comment slightly worrying. I was under the impression (it would seem mistakenly) that GR:AW was going to be a mod friendly game, continuing on the fantastic community that has grown around the GR series.

Saying that you are still discussing a way to deal with mods implies that it was never actually a consideration in the initial game concept from the start. Now i'm not saying this is or was a GRIN decision (more likely UBI).

Most mod friendly games have a menu option for mods and this is delt with as a seperate issue to cheats (ie a legitimate mod is not seen as part of a cheating problem and therefore not made difficult to implement).

Just because an xml can be edited does not in my opinion make a game mod friendly, it just makes it moddable. There is a whole world of difference.

Posted

Dai-San,

all very valid points. However, the game in itself is mod friendly in nature, with the bundle structure. We might make the exe read a mod.bundle file in addition to quick.bundle and patch.bundle, and then have a simple loader/activation interface to let you choose what mod you want to activate. Then it's a matter of adding a filter list to the multiplayer browser to let users only see those servers that share the mod, or somehow display it in the general interface.

Just ironing out the wrinkles.

Stickan

Posted

so is it possible to give us the option to bundle up files? :blink: this seems to be THE solution.. :thumbsup:

Posted

so is it possible to give us the option to bundle up files? :blink: this seems to be THE solution.. :thumbsup:

A bundler is included with the map editor. When you export maps, they're made into mapname.bundle, which is the same concept. It's called bundler.exe. :)

Posted

I feel this is a good 2 way feed back thread, do we need something more permanent, between the modders and the Team??

If both sides are up for this we will sort out something, talk a bit about it here if you would like this.