Names vs Reticule

I'm not posting for fun nor going crazy over this point, I'm answering the post prior. I have nothing against Server admins. I'm not afraid of server admins playing god, I am saying they should not be given too much power over the end users settings regarding the HUD !!! Is it too hard to understand.

If Grin doesn't lock it down hackers will prevail

This post helps the thread zero percent regarding the subject matter. I really don't care how much the dedi server put into hosting, the end user put in millions buying the product and there the ones that come first not the server provider. Do you have a mobile phone ? who comes first the service provider ? or you the mobile phone end user ? did you answer truthfully or the same as your reply to my thread answer.[/quote

The service provide because if the service provider goes down then your phone don't work.

You don't seem to understand the thread has a point which is simple but the other point raised regarding who has control is a big issue. The end user is responsible for certain things and so is the games host/ server provider.

Since it's my thread, i think I fully understand my point.

My point is

#1 Ghost Recon 1 had this feature... Server locked it down for laddering and matches.

#2 90% of all Ghost Recon 1 servers used reticule and no one every complained... that means it works.

#3 Battlefield uses names... why degrade GRAW to that standard

#4 Reticule promotes tactical games. You have to use your map and point at the enemy or recognize them by there team camo

#5 This gets all the clutter off the hud in 25+ servers. You realize with that many that you should only if any have the names of your squad, not 15 people floating around. Also if you want to keep names then enemies MUST cover them up to avoid the confusion that annoys so much of us. Reticule would solve this.

#6 I would think in 2013 they wouldn't need names floating around majically. I would think it would be point and identfy or a satelite fed tac map. or the names would not create this much confusion in a battle sense.

Are you afraid you can't play as well with having to identify your target and teammates?

Why are you so set on names... ? BF2 player maybe? With 4 years experience with [GR] you must realize that reticule works or have you never laddered?

RocoAfz you asked questions at the end so I feel it's right to answer. You asked a question as the thread starter, so you were asking for opinions.

GRin only has to lock the game down as far as HACKING & CHEATING, they do not have to remove basic elements of the game from all users and give it to the server host [Admin].

I never disagreed with your original point of Names or reticule, I only posted/ said that the option to turn this basic element of the game [as advertised by ubi throughout it's promotion]

should be on the client side NOT THE SERVER ADMIN. You have to remember this is no longer Ghost Recon 1 [[Ghost Recon]] if you like this game so much why don't you like the idea of setting your own NAMES to OFF or SQUAD or FULL ON, why must the admin of the host server do it for you, and by default do it for everyone !!!! changing my game in which I have no problem with name tags all the time ?

If you and your ladder friends want name tags only when you point your gun at another team soldier in the game, what is the problem with this option being yours to set via a tick box or slider ? Can't you trust each other? but seriously, do you consider it unfair to have tags on, when another player has switched theirs off?

YOUR POINTS:

#1. THIS IS NOT GHOST RECON !

#2. I never said not to have this feature, I said let the end user decide NOT THE SERVER ADMIN.

#3. Why compare GRAW with BF? this is ghost recon advance , features in BF are in GRAW and vice-versa.

#4.The game promotes tactical gaming, the map in this game is 3D, the HUD is part of the package inc. a little 2D overlay on HUD.

#5. Yes it can get cluttered, but you can turn them off or to squad, I don't disagree. The point in disagreement is who gets to turn it off, I say ME or YOU, the end user the player...... You say the server admin, the host.

#6.I have no idea what system will be in 2013, there are several, like the VTOL fighter USA.

All I said is GRin has done a good representation, you disagree.

Why do you have to get personal? come over to the BDA server and play, [ www.beerdrinkingassasins.com ] it's only a game for fun. I like to know where all my team mates are, I like the idea of seeing how many are left on the field and who they are without TAB'ing to the stats page. It gives a visual sense of team.

You can have the Reticule targeting system, there is no problem, not just you but all that disagree, just don’t force everyone else to have that as the only option for team member identification, how would you feel if the server forced your game mode to 800x600.

Poor comparison but thats the point regarding the names issue, Client only.

viii <_<

p.s. Metal Jacket, has a point with the uniforms which are in the light difficult to distinguish, wait till we have night mode.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I understand your point of view Viiiper.

Although I think the very most reason for people to make this specific option (also) server-sided is because a lot of players (also tournament players) want to have everybody playing with the same game settings. Just like the respawn count, kit-restrictions, etc. Graphic options (resolution ;) show dead bodies, detail level, etc) should stay client-side, absolutely agree with that. Well, I like the hard settings by turning off the iff (no names and no reticule) in [GR]. This way it forces me to look very good on the tactical map and on the field where my teammates are. This makes me play more carefull and tactical and to me it contributes to the immersion of the game.

If this option would be client-sided, I would be in dissadvantage over players with 'names' turned on. For me, it would make the game less enjoyable.

On the other hand I can understand the point yu are making here. Especcially since it probably have to been hard to find a [GR] game in the past with iff-names turned on (since nearly all had iff-reticule turned on I experienced).

Well, since this is the sequel of legendary Ghost Recon (pc wise ;) ) I would say that [GR] settings make the difference (rule) in difficult discussions like these :g_guns: .

But still, :g_withgrin:

Edited by Toniezz

Although I think the very most reason for people to make this specific option (also) server-sided is because a lot of players (also tournament players) want to have everybody playing with the same game settings. Just like the respawn count, kit-restrictions, etc. Graphic options (resolution show dead bodies, detail level, etc) should stay client-side, absolutely agree with that. Well, I like the hard settings by turning off the iff (no names and no reticule) in [GR]. This way it forces me to look very good on the tactical map and on the field where my teammates are. This makes me play more carefull and tactical and to me it contributes to the immersion of the game.

This is my point exactly.

If this option would be client-sided, I would be in dissadvantage over players with 'names' turned on. For me, it would make the game less enjoyable.
Agreed. also for detecting cheaters on your server it helps to have everyone with similar settings to rule out reasons for things happening.

On the other hand I can understand the point yu are making here. Especcially since it probably have to been hard to find a [GR] game in the past with iff-names turned on (since nearly all had iff-reticule turned on I experienced).

For the above reasons

Well, since this is the sequel of legendary Ghost Recon (pc wise ) I would say that [GR] settings make the difference (rule) in difficult discussions like these

I also want to note I want the servers to have the option to turn them on also. This leaves it up to the server admins who host it to decide which they would like there players to have. If you don't like it, then play somewhere else, it's your option to do so because your aren't paying 100 + a month to host a server for your clan and the peeps that come in and play.

@VIIPER

come over to the BDA server and play,

I have, Breeze knows me and Peace ;)

#1. THIS IS NOT GHOST RECON
that's funny... i'm playing GHOST RECON Advanced Warfighter.. which means it's a sequel and includes the kinds of gameplay we all enjoy from Ghost Recon 1. Edited by ROCOAFZ

Although I think the very most reason for people to make this specific option (also) server-sided is because a lot of players (also tournament players) want to have everybody playing with the same game settings. Just like the respawn count, kit-restrictions, etc. Graphic options (resolution ;) show dead bodies, detail level, etc) should stay client-side, absolutely agree with that. Well, I like the hard settings by turning off the iff (no names and no reticule) in [GR]. This way it forces me to look very good on the tactical map and on the field where my teammates are. This makes me play more carefull and tactical and to me it contributes to the immersion of the game.

Well, since this is the sequel of legendary Ghost Recon (pc wise ;) ) I would say that [GR] settings make the difference (rule) in difficult discussions like these :g_guns: .

But still, :g_withgrin:

It's been a nice thread, one that has meaning, I have to put the other side because I had that problem with GR1 like you said, you can not find a tagged GR1 server for love or money.

I play with a large group and have to admit prior I only thought of myself, but others with poorer eye sight than mine and older not so clear monitors, have a hard time playing. I would of said, so what, back then because I play 1920x1200 all-on and fcuk you, but they suffer and I'd rather have everyone play and enjoy this product, because at the end of the day it is a GAME and it's for FUN to relax & enjoy. By making server side options that affect the visual information on screen, we make everyone play by our standard view.

If others suffer because of it that is wrong, finding a GRAW server with tags would be like the old GR1 by admission, practically impossible.

thx for your comment :grin3:

best regards

viii

I haven't seen this covered before, but do you guys like the names up all the time? I find it annoying. Countless times i have came around a corner in domination and not fired upon an enemy because my teammates name was on the guy, even though he was on the other side of the map. In GR1 i preferred reticule. Will this ever be an option?

Exact same thing has happened to me numerous times also. Very very good point and I agree 100% !! Needs to be an option.

Maybe the best option is this. On the server have 3 options

#1 IFF

#2 Names on for friendlies

#3 Let the client decide

That way in matches IFF can be forced for matching or if the servers want it to be or be left up to the client.

and option #4 No names, No IFF and No Clients Choice

:grin1:

Ahhhh...OK now I understand things a little more, you guys think the game should be for laddering and competition...and a lot of others think they want to just play for fun. So your wanting to make a game intended for the masses into something you want it to be for laddering and competition? Would this not be an option thru modding? If it is an option enacted thru modding then you will get more of your wish by controlling exactly what parameters you want.

@ viiper’s multiple posts

Hey, we respect your opinion, but there is no need to crazy about this issue.

We are only asking for a possible option to make the game more viable and suitable as a laddering game.

Edited by SneakSnipe

Matching and Laddering = fun

reticule is point at someone visible and there name shows up. (what is also called IFF also above)

can't be modded for laddering. It has to be official.

Clans that ladder (most do btw except co-op only clans) want to play the way they will match.

Ahhhh...OK now I understand things a little more, you guys think the game should be for laddering and competition...and a lot of others think they want to just play for fun. So your wanting to make a game intended for the masses into something you want it to be for laddering and competition?

GR1 was a game that offered excellent options for matching (with names off, replays etc)... We expected GRAW, the official sequel to GR1, to offer the same excellent possibilities, if not even better. However, so far the GRAW MP viability for matching is virtually non-existent, but there is expected patches to arrive throughout the summer and we have our hopes. :)

NB! The game has the potential to suit many players precisely as GR1 did, one does not exclude the other which some people seem to confuse....

We would only like to see an official possibility of making the game suitable for matching through a few options, something that really should have been there in the first place in line with the spirit of GR...

The laddering clans have far many more players than most people believe and e-sport is rapidly growing.

Also matching and laddering is great fun, once you start and find you a good clan, there so much enjoyment there within. It is all about fun...when the fun ends I'll stop...

Would this not be an option thru modding? If it is an option enacted thru modding then you will get more of your wish by controlling exactly what parameters you want.

Ladders (team vs team) almost exclusively rely on official versions of the game only, therefore, no modding.

yes, I know what IFF is. If clans that ladder want to play with a ladder only version then why don't they just push for a 'Ladder addon' for the game instead of trying to force their desires on everyone else who doesn't ladder or match. Wouldn't that be simpler? That way you guys can go off and do your ladder thing and have your own servers and everything and leave the rest of us alone to do our thing with the game.

Matching and Laddering = fun

reticule is point at someone visible and there name shows up. (what is also called IFF also above)

can't be modded for laddering. It has to be official.

Clans that ladder (most do btw except co-op only clans) want to play the way they will match.

playing with names in GR definitely intensified the game, not necesserily making it more tactical, just faster. having a full screen map binded to my mouse key did much more for my situtation awareness than names could ever do. in GRAW we dont get that (yet), so i doubt any ladders would actually require the names set to reticle. the old school GR players simply deserve that option to recreate the feel of [GR], and if some of you think it's such a negative feature, why would every server admin use it then? those 4 options looked great, and it seemd GRIN is on the ball so everyone should get what they want...

If clans that ladder want to play with a ladder only version then why don't they just push for a 'Ladder addon' for the game instead of trying to force their desires on everyone else who doesn't ladder or match. Wouldn't that be simpler? That way you guys can go off and do your ladder thing and have your own servers and everything and leave the rest of us alone to do our thing with the game.

YES That is basically exactly what we are asking for, a dedicated server patch that make these custom settings available.

We do not try to "put our desires on everybody else" That is a misunderstanding aggrevated by certain posters. I hope this issue has been cleared now, once and for all (sigh). We will happily stay on our servers, we pay for.

Well good then. That means also we will not see people who ladder and match in the forums then preaching about their version of the game and completly ignoring the thoughts of others and trying to impose their will on the entire gaming community and spewing crap about what they want and ignoring what others want like they are better and everyone else is crap, people like ROCOAFZ for example. So good then, the matter is settled, glad I could help.

P.S. just a quick hello to a friend - Hi ya viiiper :)

If clans that ladder want to play with a ladder only version then why don't they just push for a 'Ladder addon' for the game instead of trying to force their desires on everyone else who doesn't ladder or match. Wouldn't that be simpler? That way you guys can go off and do your ladder thing and have your own servers and everything and leave the rest of us alone to do our thing with the game.

YES That is basically exactly what we are asking for, a dedicated server patch that make these custom settings available.

We do not try to "put our desires on everybody else" That is a misunderstanding aggrevated by certain posters. I hope this issue has been cleared now, once and for all (sigh). We will happily stay on our servers, we pay for.

Edited by SneakSnipe

Well good then. That means also we will not see people who ladder and match in the forums then preaching about their version of the game and completly ignoring the thoughts of others and trying to impose their will on the entire gaming community and spewing crap about what they want and ignoring what others want like they are better and everyone else is crap, people like ROCOAFZ for example. So good then, the matter is settled, glad I could help.

Welcome to my thread sneaksnipe...

We all remember you from this thread...

Speed Hackers

I knew i recognized you from somewhere. I see why you want names up now. Glad you got your "speed issue resolved"

Note this...

Maybe the best option is this. On the server have 3 options

#1 IFF

#2 Names on for friendlies

#3 Let the client decide

That way in matches IFF can be forced for matching or if the servers want it to be or be left up to the client

I think i did post something that all could be happy with. The server admins if they wish to with these options could maintain there own control. That means servers like BDA where you play could allow you to decide, until they match.. Then they must follow match rules that have to be enforced by the server. Read the entire last page before you post please.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

It's funny reading these threads and seeing how far apart players are, co-opers, and mission players are basically 180 degrees from match players. This game was designed and built for the masses, not one particular group.

Why is it so hard for the peeps that don't match to understand the requirements/desires that would make this game better for matching? Match players are asking for some relatively simple things to be implemented into the game that CAN BE TURNED ON AND OFF to anyone and everyone's own desires.

Yes, I buy games mostly to match, and would like to see these fixes, and some others mentioned on this forum, but they won't change the play for the people that don't match, just give them extra options, would that be so bad?

Why do people read a thread, realize it really doesn't apply to their situation, but then just have to type some idiotic, fan boi, reply just so they can be seen by the masses? There are hundreds, hopefully thousands soon, that play or will play this game, and there are just as many opinions, they don't have to agree, not in the least, but telling one side your idea's basically suck, go make a "mod", don't change MY game is pretty ###### lame.

Roco and I have had our disagreements, but here, we are on the same page, our squads match this game, nothing more, nothing less, and want the best experience playing, no matter how we, or you play the game.

I've never read such a bunch of crap on such a simple topic in all my

life... Why people? It's simple...

Servers should have an "overwrite ret" option that, when enabled,

forces the client to use what is set in the server. (Of course we should

be able to view this info in a lobby).

The options should be:

1. Names on.

2. Ret over friendly.

3. Names off.

Done.

The options should be:

1. Names on.

2. Ret over friendly.

3. Names off.

I fully agree... basically what i have been saying since my start of this thread.

I like the uncertainty of who's who at long distances, names should be an option to be removed on the dedi server side. might help prevent hacks like NAMES also

It won't neccesarly stop hacks, but it will make them easier to spot if we get replays or such, because if they can follow there teammates and the enemy, they are busted and can't say they were looking at a teammates name.

The options should be:

1. Names on.

2. Ret over friendly.

3. Names off.

Done.

that would be ok for me, altough im playing with names on since gr1 anyway.....

Edited by Brainman2k

You have to remember this game was not made for match players and ladder boiz.

This game was made for the general public and not for a fan club. If one Grin reads this I know that this post will not change their minds because that would of been Ubisofts directive too. Make game to appeal to the general public. Things you request to be changed affect everyone and in doing so you should consider everyone’s point of view including those who can not post on this forum.

If you think you can brush off other people’s views because you want to use a product to fulfil you ambition of ladder climbing, then think again. You have to make the best of what you have, you have the game and it's been played by 1000's and we all don't ladder. You are so sure of yourselves that you will not even compromise; you know GRin got it wrong, well maybe you got it wrong.

Grin will decide.

Thanks Skratte; I agree.

I think the "laddering guys" squads want *options*, ie things they can turn on and that "anyone else" can leave turned off.

I'm absolutely certain that Roco would not insist on forcing his server config on anyone else who didn't like it, like wise we don't expect the gaming-masses to deny squads and ladder players options they won't use just because you can't see the point.

It should be possible to arrange this to please everyone...

... but still the bickering goes on.... **

If grin ever read this they won't know wether to laugh or cry, if they have any sense they'll read something else.

BA

** Roco,Snipe,Viiper - I'd suggest dropping the infighting on the forums and settling your differences on a Domination map - but you'd never agree on a configuration for the server.

This is a JOKE for those who don't recognise it.

Edited by BarmyArmy