GRAW - Realism optimization mod

I remember once I was bringing the squad to sneak on some enemy soldiers and mr brown suddenly shouted out loud "move accomplished!"

Thank god the AI don't seem to hear such confirmations! :D
I would love to hear vokal orders! Please add it to the mod, I think its a great idea : )

It's definitely on the list. However I don't know if it's possible for me to do that - especially not without Grin's help (if I recall correct then Desmond was responsible for the sounds and maybe he could help me assigning the sounds to the corresponding actions and if it's only by pointing me into the right direction). But, don't keep your hope up, even if I should be able to assign the currently unused sounds to the actions, then it will probably take a very long time to finish it, because there are hundreds of them even with different stress levels and all that (it's been quite cool from Grin to keep them inside the voice bank because otherwise we couldn't even talk about integrating them)! :)

Also still on my list is the option, to make the drone fully manually controlable meaning that the player will able to zoom in / zoom out (when you zoom in on an enemy he'll get marked), rotate the cam and all that. Especially in the MP & Coop this will add a new tactical layer to the gameplay (at least for us die-hard tactical gamers and since it's going to be a mod, beginners will have the option to use it or not). If anyone of you is able to help me with that, please do and I'll of course give you credit! :)

Keep in mind:

The more experienced people (Digitally TC, Nemon, Ted Smith - just to name a few -) are helping me with the mod, the faster we might come up with some of the very cool stuff and maybe even things beyond that. Yep I already have something in my mind but can't comment on it yet since I don't want to rise false hopes in case these ideas are unrealistic, please respect that! :)

GRAW has a lot of mod potential and I'll try to make use of that as much as possible but I also realize that all the modding means to invest a lot of time. Whatever, I tell you what: There's no such thing as limits - only challenges and I'm willing to accept these challenges! ;)

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...)

GRAW has a lot of mod potential and I'll try to make use of that as much as possible but I also realize that all the modding means to invest a lot of time. Whatever, I tell you what: There's no such thing as limits - only challenges and I'm willing to accept these challenges! ;)

You and the other modders here are my hero's!!!

When you issue an order via crosscom, you hear an electronic tone as confermation, perhaps you could edit the xmls to point to different .wav files?

Sure, that would probably be easy, but not realistic because you'd hear each time the same sound, no matter what order you issue. I'd actually like to implement context sensitive vocal orders like that:

>Player selects Brown<

You hear Mitchell: "Brown!"

>Player issues move order<

Mitchell: "Move to that position!"

>Brown's reply: "Roger. Moving now!"

Or that:

>Player selects the ghosts<

Mitchell: "Ghost's!"

>Player issues move order<

Mitchell: "Move out!"

>Team confirms: "On my way." "Roger, Scott. Moving now!" "Sir, moving. Sir!"

Or even that:

>Player selects sniper (in this case Allen)<

Mitchell: "Soldier!"

>Player issues an attack order<

Mitchell: "I need a sniper over here!"

>Allen's reply: "Roger, moving!"

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

And if enemies are around, use hand signals and AI team mates don't go running but sneak slowly.

As I previously stated: We don't have the files containing the handsign animations - only those for the vocal orders and it's up to Grin if they release the files for the tactical handsigns. Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Here are some Ideas for the further enhancement of the AI

1. proper use of grenade launchers against soft targets (Humans, cars, trucks and .50 stations)

2. proper use of rocket launchers against tanks and other vehicles.

3. support gunner uses machine gun to suppress fire and keep enemy covered. (prone)

4. AI switches weapons to semi automatic if enemy is far enough.

5. Under pressure AI doesn't reload but switches weapons in order to continue shooting.

6. Sniper uses Secondary as primary gun and switches when he arrives at his cover position.

8. AI uses hand grenades if enemy is in range and hiding behind cover. (if possible)

9 If AI is under heavy attack he retreats to some safer position while shooting at enemy.

10. And finally AI ducks and lay down if cover is more then 2m away, and if he is under fire. Later he gets up and seek proper cover.

Those are just some of Ideas of mine, but if you could realize some of them it would greatly improve the AI behavior.

Thanks

Sonsalt

What points are editable and what not ?

What points are editable and what not ?

I'll answer your question, once I know it myself! :lol:

Hey another small suggestion. Why not add night sights to the iron sights of the rifles and pistols? will be useful in night missions when you are not using the red dot.

If you find the neccessary reference material...! :) Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Nice looking mod and compelling details! Will night vision still work with the settings in the mod? Will you be using a light-weight HUD design like some of those already offered?

Suggestions:

• · Get rid of the artsy lines and cross hatches and techno do nothing affectations on the camera views -- they're simply ridiculous and not realistic...

· Remove the poxy scan line effects from all camera views, this hasn't been visible on camera or especially compact video displays for close to a decade -- in fact contemporary displays are even less prone to this effect.

· Create new HUD art assets that are not incorrectly animorphically distorted that more realistically and accurately reflect what you actually see in a real HMD HUD reticule system like
NOMAD...

· Tone down the histrionic particle effects; the execution is good but they are a bit off the charts and too dramatic.

· Replace the reticule with something more subtle; or better yet remove it entirely...

· Update your topic post to reflect changes, additions, and design plans for the project like they do on the BI OFP forums...

Looking forward to downloading it and giving it a whirl!

:o

Edited by Waika

Nice looking mod and compelling details! Will night vision still work with the settings in the mod?

Why should I fix something that is working fine? Yes it will be working!
Will you be using a light-weight HUD design like some of those already offered?
I will try to offer a little different (OPTIONAL) but IMO more realistic HUD. If you can call it light-weight, you have to decide that for yourself!
Get rid of the artsy lines and cross hatches and techno do nothing affectations on the camera views -- they're simply ridiculous and not realistic...
It'll be worth a check.
Remove the poxy scan line effects from all camera views, this hasn't been visible on camera or especially compact video displays for close to a decade -- in fact contemporary displays are even less prone to this effect.
That's already on the list! :)
Create new HUD art assets that are not incorrectly animorphically distorted that more realistically and accurately reflect what you actually see in a real HMD HUD reticule system like NOMAD...
Well although I still have a hard time with HUD modding, I'll definitely look into it as you see in my first concept art (I'm not sure if that camera angle will be possible but I guess we'll soon find out). BTW: Thanks for the link - it would be nice to have an image of an actual military NOMAD "HUD" as reference though! :)
Tone down the histrionic particle effects; the execution is good but they are a bit off the charts and too dramatic.
Can't promise you anything but I'll see what I can do! ;)
Replace the reticule with something more subtle; or better yet remove it entirely...
As soon as I know how! :D
Update your topic post to reflect changes, additions, and design plans for the project like they do on the BI OFP forums...
Actually that's not possible inside this forum, that's why I keep posting here.
Looking forward to downloading it and giving it a whirl!

:o

I'm looking forward to see if you'll like what you get! :D

However, I want to make sure that I won't try to create a military training simulator here (which wouldn't be very enjoyable) but only try to make the game a bit more realistic by tuning some elements here and there! :)

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

(...)

Well although I still have a hard time with HUD modding, I'll definitely look into it as you see in my first concept art (I'm not sure if that camera angle will be possible but I guess we'll soon find out).

If you are able to realise this HUD window feature, that would just be awesome! Are you also thinking about an option to toggle your view between your normal (combat)view and the HUD? So when you look at your HUD your combat eyesight blurs and vice versa? That would be a cool feature. Nonetheless, putting all this information in the little HUD window is a nice feature anyhow! :grin1:

Keep up the good work! :grin3:

(...)

Well although I still have a hard time with HUD modding, I'll definitely look into it as you see in my first concept art (I'm not sure if that camera angle will be possible but I guess we'll soon find out).

If you are able to realise this HUD window feature, that would just be awesome! Are you also thinking about an option to toggle your view between your normal (combat)view and the HUD? So when you look at your HUD your combat eyesight blurs and vice versa? That would be a cool feature. Nonetheless, putting all this information in the little HUD window is a nice feature anyhow! :grin1:

Keep up the good work! :grin3:

Thanks Toniezz I'm very motivated to do so! :)

As you see, I'm already able to re-arrange parts of it or even the entire HUD (credit to Shadow_ASP for that), however there's still a little problem as you see in this screenshot (the left one represents the actual look, while the right one shows how I want it to be. For some reason, the ammo part of the HUD is not "pointing" into the right direction - not even if I let the game load a different shape that's "pointing" into the right direction. As soon as I do, the game seems to automaticall deform and even scale it down, so it's still looking like in the original HUD - I need to fix that problem and I'd be very grateful if someone could help me solving it because that would bring me a little step further - far enough to work on the rest of the changes! :)hud6rr.th.jpg