First steps with Modding GRAW

Hi All,

could someone give me some pointers/tips/suggestions etc on how to get started on modding .I am totally new to this so any help or suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe in the course of time somone will come up with a step by step tutorial for us total newbies wanting to start modding :thumbsup:

Being a total newb to modding means i will need to start right from the beggining so please excuse my ignorance

Thanks

9MS Jonesey

:g_withgrin:

Saw your post yesterday, but was too occupied to respond at the time.

Anyways, first things first...

First you will need to ensure you have the .NET framework 2.0 installed.

Download that here.

Then you will need Nemon's bundle extractor.

Download that here.

Follow vlad's instructions on how to extract properly.

Find those here.

Disregard the part at the end where he tells you to rename the quick.bundle file.

Then read Digitaly -TC-'s method on using a local folder to run mods without the need to rename the quick.bundle file.

Find that here.

That will allow the game to still run from the bundled file but use the extra xml's that you have edited. It's MUCH faster than having to wait for it to compile every xml in the game each time you load.

Once you've done all that, go through the folders and have a look at the xml files. There's various editors available for free. I use XMLMarker, others seem to like Microsoft's XML notepad (which I personally hate). Try altering a few settings and moving the files to the appropriate place within your local folder and see what they do when you run the game.

Best thing to do is toy with them one by one until you get a feel for what each file controls. Most of the files have very little commenting and many of the settings have names that don't entirely make sense until you've been looking at them for quite some time.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw your post yesterday, but was too occupied to respond at the time.

Anyways, first things first...

First you will need to ensure you have the .NET framework 2.0 installed.

Download that here.

Then you will need Nemon's bundle extractor.

Download that here.

Follow vlad's instructions on how to extract properly.

Find those here.

Disregard the part at the end where he tells you to rename the quick.bundle file.

Then read Digitaly -TC-'s method on using a local folder to run mods without the need to rename the quick.bundle file.

Find that here.

That will allow the game to still run from the bundled file but use the extra xml's that you have edited. It's MUCH faster than having to wait for it to compile every xml in the game each time you load.

Once you've done all that, go through the folders and have a look at the xml files. There's various editors available for free. I use XMLMarker, others seem to like Microsoft's XML notepad (which I personally hate). Try altering a few settings and moving the files to the appropriate place within your local folder and see what they do when you run the game.

Best thing to do is toy with them one by one until you get a feel for what each file controls. Most of the files have very little commenting and many of the settings have names that don't entirely make sense until you've been looking at them for quite some time.

This looks like an excellent place to start the modding process but I am wondering if anything from this post has changed after the 1.3 patch?

What I want to do is start making more [GR] COOP maps (from those maps that are already available) ... and possibly changing some of those that we did get... changing the spawn points and moving the tangos around.

• 1 year later...

Iam trying to get mods to work , iam using the mod laucher, iam using graw the first version, 02 , putting the launcher in the main graw folder, made the local folder, put the mod in .. made the modinfo file, put that in the mod folder...everything seems to be right.. iam not getting no errors at all..but no mods are working ,, can anybody help