Skinning Help

Hey guys. I've got my imaging suite set up and ready to go, but it just seems like editing these textures is rather awkward. All kinds of pieces are in a single image at all different kinds of angles. Any tips on how to go about modifying these with relative ease? Also, whats the easiest way to change the camouflage pattern without losing all the details for the belts, elbow pads, etc?

Thanks in advance. I'll keep messing around in the mean time.

Hey guys. I've got my imaging suite set up and ready to go, but it just seems like editing these textures is rather awkward. All kinds of pieces are in a single image at all different kinds of angles. Any tips on how to go about modifying these with relative ease? Also, whats the easiest way to change the camouflage pattern without losing all the details for the belts, elbow pads, etc?

Thanks in advance. I'll keep messing around in the mean time.

Depends which kind of imaging suite you're using. I'd suggest Photoshop. But back to your question.

1. Create a duplicate layer of the original uniform texture.

2. Lock the duplicated layer, so you're not risking to accidently make changes to it

3. Hide the locked layer and switch back to the original layer

4. Edit the texture as much as you wish

5. Lock the edited texture layer

6. Switch to the duplicated - original layer and unhide as well as unlock it

7. Grab the polygon tool and select each element you'd like to transfer to the changed texture

8. Now choose "invert selection" this will - as the name says invert your selection! :D

9. Press the del key - this will delete everything inside the inverted selection

10. Merge the "cleaned" layer with the one you changed the texture

11. Save as DDS file

12. You're done, so why you keep reading?

13. Really, there's nothing you'll have to do, you may stop reading at this point!

14. There won't follow any kind of important information, so stop starring at your display!

15. You're still there? Jesus, now what do you want me to do? Dance?

16. I gotta go - I'm on break but if you prefer starring at the screen, do it

17. No really, I'm not offended by it, keep starring as much as you wish

18. Don't you have any hobbies?

19. Friends?

20. A girlfriend? In case you want to continue starring at the screen, would you mind if I date her? :grin3:

j/k

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

OK, I use a dds converter tool and when I open them they are like a very washed out white set, if I invert the colors I can make out the textures but they are very dark. Is there any way around this? Or do I edit them dark?

if anyone has all the uniform pieces identified and has the good heart + time to post a labeled atlas file eg. pantlegs text on the pantlegs it would be much appreciated. Plus it might save some of us new skinners lots of headaches LOL. T.I.A.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the latex look that comes with modifying the textures? Do you have to creat MipMaps, or add noise to the textures? Any help would be great, thanks.

I think that's handled by specular maps, however couldn't find the necessary file/s 'til now! :(

Dewey, I have no clue how you get these latex looking like textures. Do you save your .dds in DXT5 format? If not, about time you try...

But I am almost 100% certain your problem comes from your alpha layer. Look at your alpha channel. It should not be all black. Compare with the original GRAW skins for exemple. If yours is different, just copy and paste the alpha channel from the original to yours...

I am currently working on skins and I have no problems at all. I save as DXT5 and my alpha channel is the exct same as the original files.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

If the alpha layer is all black there is no way the new skin should come up as shiny ingame, all white will however create a skin that is shiny.

The character's atlas.dds files alpha layer is the specular map, the darker you make it the less shiny your texture should be. That's atleast what I've found out while testing different settings on weapon textures.

The character's atlas.dds files alpha layer is the specular map, the darker you make it the less shiny your texture should be. That's atleast what I've found out while testing different settings on weapon textures.

The same for me!

Edited by tilliboy

Yeah, what SnowFella said ^^ :D

He explained it better then I did :wacko:

But what I did say is to use the original's alpha channel. This way you won't mess up :rolleyes:

Edited by Tech