Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
insane snyper

HEAT! Graphics card overheating

Well, I was having some trouble with GRAW suddenly quitting, and then my computer running at super low resolution and colors, then after a reboot saying the graphics card wasnt getting enough power. Well, I just checked my core temperature while running and it was 105C :blink:

And I have the cover off my case. When the cover is on it runs way hotter. Anyone have ideas as to how to alleviate this issue other than buying a new cooler, new card, or turning the settings down allot (doing this as we speak)?

Edit: Oh yeah I have a 6800 GS running all of the ingame settings as high as they go except 4x only 4X AF

Edited by insane snyper

I have a Geforce 6800 GTO-no and I'm considering putting the tower in the refrigerator.

I have the same card with no issues...

Since it is AGP did you plug your molex power connector into the card? it is required. Without it the card won't get enough power. If you have a high end power supply make sure it's not a fan only connector.

thats really weird because my card gets to 120, and i get a popup saying its overheating. wow, maybe it is the game. but i dont think so cause i tried GR1 and a couple of other games and it still overheated. also just idling its 82 degrees. i have a PNY 6800GT 256 AGP and i just ordered a Accelero X1 and will be installing it tomorrow when i get it. now im worried its the game. but why would it overheat with GR1??? well ill keep u posted.

To OP:

What heat indicator do you use? The motherboard indicator is often clueless and states all kind of untrue stuff.

105 C seems a bit high, but it could be true as you got issues (which you could have at lower degrees as well).

Frankly, there is now way to get the system cooler except making the card work less hard (settings), or cool it more (buy a cooler).

Turning down the settings is no option if you can bypass the problem with a decent cooler. If you turn down the settings, then you actually waste the money you originally invested in gfx card, you could have settled for less. Use it to the max, but cool it.

Why do you hesitate buying a cooler? I guess you got the cooler the card came with and given it is a 6800 you have had it for at least a half a year or more. You do need a good cooler and obviously your current one does not stand the test of GRAW. Even before you get real issues - as you describe - your card will perform less well, even if you hardly notice it.

This is the best cooler (PCI-e), go buy it and play 'til you drop:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/

Hope this was of some help.

Edited by JASGripen

thats really weird because my card gets to 120, and i get a popup saying its overheating. wow, maybe it is the game. but i dont think so cause i tried GR1 and a couple of other games and it still overheated. also just idling its 82 degrees. i have a PNY 6800GT 256 AGP and i just ordered a Accelero X1 and will be installing it tomorrow when i get it. now im worried its the game. but why would it overheat with GR1??? well ill keep u posted.

These tempretures are dam high :( You talking like 120c not f? I remember my 9800XT was a hot card at 72c full load. My x800xt is only 35c idle and 39c load. I wouldnt want a card in my tower giving that heat out even if it could cope with it.

I have a Geforce 6800 GTO-no and I'm considering putting the tower in the refrigerator.

Water cooling mite be better! ;) My card is cooled by A danger den block does a great job.

Iv used this block on 2 other GFX cards before this current one, well worth going water.

The Accelero X1 that WalrusKing mentioned is the BEST air-based video card cooler you can buy today. I think the X1 is for Nvidia and the X2 is for ATI (or visa versa).

On my 6800GT, I have the Zalman VF700-Cu which you can see here. It made a dramatic difference in my vga temps! I was afraid of swapping out a cooler on a video card but it was a piece of cake. My 6800GT idles in the upper 50s ©.

Zalman's newer version is out (VF900) but it's $45 and I haven't heard enough about it. I'd go with the Accelero over it.

I was going to say that maybe a high ambient case temp was causing your video card to overheat but you say you have your case cover off. :blink:

I'm thinking that the moral of the story is that GRAW, at high settings, is pretty brutal on video cards and requires that you have "state-of-the-art" cooling on your card. $30 may be a very good investment. I'll probably never leave my vga's stock cooler on again now that there are really good cooling options out there now.

I'm also kind of wondering how you can run GRAW with high settings with a 6800GS while I have to go low or off with a 6800GT? :blink: But, yeah, 120C is an incredibly high temp for a video card.

Zalman's newer version is out (VF900) but it's $45 and I haven't heard enough about it. I'd go with the Accelero over it.

I have heard from friends and boards that the VF900 is fine. Actually it is an improvement over the VF700 nothing else. So if one got the money, go for the VF900, otherwise the VF700 does a splendid job too, but not as good as the VF900.

Water-cooling is nice, but I recommend people do stay away from it if they don't like to open up the case all to often - one should know what one is doing. If you are a kind of handy man, then there is no trouble with water-cooling (it is no rocket science), but it is an awkward thing. A good air cooler is enough for most people if you don't strive for an almost totally silent PC.

I just read a review at nvnews.net comparing the Accelero X1 to the VF700 and the temps were pretty much identical. The one advantage of the X1 was that it was silent.

Bro, don't sweat the card. If it were the GPU cooler, taking the cover off wouldn't help. Your problem is that the air inside the case is hot; thus, the GPU cooler is using air that is already hot, so it's not able to do its job well. So...

You need to add exhaust fans to the tower. You want two on the back blowing out of the tower and at least one if not two in the front (in front of your hard drive) blowing into the tower. It's like opening up a window on either side of a house and drawing a cool breeze through.

Additionally, periodically (every six months or so), wipe dust build-up from your exhaust fan blades, and if you have filters over the exhaust fan ports, clean or replace them(or just remove them).

Finally, make sure you don't have any ribbon cables hanging in the middle of your case obstructing airflow.

If taking you cover off fixed your problem, then the above steps will fix your problem with the cover back on. :thumbsup:

I've been pretty curious about the temperature on my 7800GT, so I usually check it after every bout of gaming... never got over 65 degrees for me, usually around 50. I think Logos' post is worth paying attention to - dust build up does amazing things.

I've been pretty curious about the temperature on my 7800GT, so I usually check it after every bout of gaming... never got over 65 degrees for me, usually around 50. I think Logos' post is worth paying attention to - dust build up does amazing things.

Amen.

I have a cheap case (22 bucks from newegg I think) that doesnt cool all that well, and a poorly layed out motherboard. It has 3 PCI-E 1x slots on top (not really good for much thus far it would seem), then the PCI-E 16x for the graphics card, with 3 regular PCI slots below the graphics card. Problem is that the graphics car's fan faces down, and the card is so huge that it sort of traps all the hot air down below the card. I long ago pulled the slot covers on those 3 pci slots, but the problem is that my case has pretty neutral pressure so theres still not much airflow down below the card (idle air temp down there is 36C, which is hotter than my processor's core temp idle).

Anyway, I pulled the graphics card out and blew the cooler out with some canned air, and it now idles at 47C (about what it did when I first bought it, whereas yesterday it was idling 58C), and under pretty intense load it never breaks 80. Still hotter than I ever expected to see it, but way better than before.

Moral of the story: Clean your graphics card cooler occasionally. I installed the card January 5th, so thats like 4 and a half months....

Edited by insane snyper

Are you sure some of those triple digit temps are actual or just the default core slowdown threshold?, I have'nt seen a temp higher than 72degrees C and I'm still getting freezed/lockedup? I have a card fan and blow out the case with an air duster every week, would an additional cooler (air or water) be worth the extra power drain?

Ok here is real results. I bought a Accelero X1 from Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835186001

for about 30 bucks, ordered thurs, got monday. Went looking namely came across a nice GPU test from madshrimps as seen here

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=405

and from what I read the Accelero came out on tops and 15 bucks less than the Zalman, also i didnt get the NV silencer(my orig choice) when i read that some cards mems werent touching the heatspreaders correctly.

But orig my games had run fine, the past two weeks however saw my pc games cut off and a popup from nvidias control panel exclaiming my gpu had reached 118 or so degrees Centigrade, yes thats right. so needless to say until tonite i havent played much GRAW lately. So now it runs at 40degrees at idle, now typing, and when playing a game it doesnt break over 55degrees C, yes a raise in only 10-20 degrees tops. Not bad from the heat i sued to get.

Installation was a breeze, it was harder removing the orig cooling than installing the new stuff. And I can say my game is running better than ever, i honestly feel its running smoother.

the Zalman, 7700 or 9900 Ithink thats their names, are decent too. Might be a cheap upgrade for a good bit of better gaming.

Oh the old heatsink and fan was really dusty, I should have blown it out better before trying this out, but I dont think it was at fault because it had always been dusty. BUT try dusting first.

Edited by theWalrusKing

The First thing you wanna look into is your air flow through your case.

These guys are telling you to buy internal fans well there not gonna do any good if you dont have any cool air comming into the pc. Make sure there isnt a bunch of dust constricting airflow to the front of the PC.

Also make sure you have the same amount of air going into the case as you do goin out.

My self on my Pc i have 2 120 mm fans pushing 80cfm's hella loud but hella cool to..

the only problems i have had with my ATI cards (ALL OF THEM) is they use ######ty fans. My girlfriend kept the card going on my brand new X800xtplatinum about 2 months after i got it, it fried but ati is very good with warrenties. cause they know there fans are ######.

Other then that good luck let the cooling begin.

Oh and also just cause a fan is spinning dosnt mean its going the right speed. if you stop the fan while its on with your finger and it struggles to start back up. WELL put a fork in it cause its done!!

Heres a nice place to get cooling supplies, Xoxide.com.

I'd make sure your power supply wires arent all over the place and restricting airflow aswell.

Basically what the guys above said.

Heres a nice place to get cooling supplies, Xoxide.com.

I'd make sure your power supply wires arent all over the place and restricting airflow aswell.

Basically what the guys above said.

not trying to push anyone to buy something, but after this new cooler, the Accelero X1 im getting tops at 54degrees Celcius, thats like 30 below a normal temp for this card. Its so cool. will try oc'ing it maybe. but def have ur case clean too.

Additionally, periodically (every six months or so), wipe dust build-up from your exhaust fan blades, and if you have filters over the exhaust fan ports, clean or replace them(or just remove them).

I did this just yesterday. I came home from work yesterday morning and played GRAW a little bit online. Started noticing little artifacts on the screen. Fired up Riva Tuner and recorded my Temps 75C. Exited the game checked to make sure Fans were working, and they were. Unplugged everything and opened her up. Checked the Zalman cooler on the video card, and the fins were clogged up with dust! Gave it a quick cleaning and started her up. Never went higher than 49C on an OCed 7900GTX...NICE!

Gonna break the whole PC down thursday and reapply the Arctic Silver on both the CPU and GPU cooler and clean out the case.

I got a 6800 ultra, with a custom dual heatpipe with 2 80mm fans. The card runs at a constant 40 degrees in the middle of COD2.

Well my video card isnt as high end as any of you guys, but my GeForce 6600 GT TDH usually stays around 30 - 60 degress (i think its usually 40-something)