Mission #8: Guardrail IX

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question on this subject is how do you get your teammates to use their alternate weapons? Everytime I tell one of my guys to go attack a tank or something, they just get blow up, not even taking out the weapon.

It would be nice to get them to switch to secondary too since they are too stupid to do it when they run out of ammo, and just keep saying I'm reloading over and over for the rest of the level.

Another question on this subject is how do you get your teammates to use their alternate weapons? Everytime I tell one of my guys to go attack a tank or something, they just get blow up, not even taking out the weapon.

It would be nice to get them to switch to secondary too since they are too stupid to do it when they run out of ammo, and just keep saying I'm reloading over and over for the rest of the level.

Yeah, that IS funny. Actually is makes me REALLY mad. You could load them up on extra ammo, I suppose.

No, I've found no way to really encourage them to pull out any weapon other than their primary. So Allen attempts to engage an enemy within arm's reach with his sniper rifle, despite having that COOL automatic pistol I always make him carry. Kirkland is LOATHE to pull out a missile or even swap to his GL (also carried at my insistence) when confronting enemy armor and armored cars. I'd rather have him run around with the missile for his primary, for all the good he ever does me with that carbine. And Brown? I just send him without a secondary and tons of extra ammo. He does what I need him to- he suppresses half of Mexico! Not that the enemy AI's really care. They just hide behind something and continue plinking at Kirkland and Mitchell. Mitchell chucks a grenade over their cover and BAM-SPLAT-SQUISH! It's a BURRITO, boss!

• 5 months later...

Seduce my old footwear, this is tough!

Got to the point where you must take down the antenna. Anyone got any hints for this? I love playing snipers but when I go against the fixed machine guns on the top left of the map, I always lose!

Also, where is the main building as referenced here? http://guides.gamepressure.com/ghostrecona...ide.asp?ID=1047

Yeah, it wasn't so hard to wait out the tank from behind significant cover. If it doesn't spot you it won't fire on you and will just drive on by along its scripted route. You have to get close enough to activate it along the scripted route and then hang behind cover for a couple minutes until it gets well past you. I personally prefer to avoid engaging tanks unless absolutely necessary for completion of the mission. At least not those omniscient AI guided tanks from GRAW...

Nor did I see it anywhere in the game. The actual component, Guardrail IX, I doubt was ever written-in as an object at all. Nor the 'Football.' That in particular was disappointing, becuase I really REALLY wanted to try to grab it at the end of the next mission and run like HELP with it. They called me the baddest mother in Mexico, let's see them stop me! The world will be MINE!!!

You know, I found it funny how when you save the General, you get praise. I mean you save the President twice and its like "okay, now here's your next mission. And in todays news....."

You have to mod the AI through something like Jason's old mod. Rarely do they use their pistols, but sometimes when they get in contact they do use it, usually because a tango pops out of nowhere as usual and that's what they have. I've seen Allen pull it out when he didn't have time to reload his Barrett, so he switched (but that may be because of AI modding, rather than normal) to his pistolet and hammered away until he finally killed the tango, then proceeded to switch, reload, and drive on. You have to really mod the AI to where it's at the "decent" level, but even then sometimes it still equates to "[idiot]" skill setting.

You have to mod the AI through something like Jason's old mod. Rarely do they use their pistols, but sometimes when they get in contact they do use it, usually because a tango pops out of nowhere as usual and that's what they have. I've seen Allen pull it out when he didn't have time to reload his Barrett, so he switched (but that may be because of AI modding, rather than normal) to his pistolet and hammered away until he finally killed the tango, then proceeded to switch, reload, and drive on. You have to really mod the AI to where it's at the "decent" level, but even then sometimes it still equates to "[idiot]" skill setting.

I've seen it in my unmodded 1.35 game. Brown did it on several occasions when he did not have time to reload his MG-48. (I always relieve Allen of his Barrett) Not that it's very effective. Thankfully, it's rare, because as soon as he finds cover, he reloads his primary weapon.

Not saying the AI mod is worthless (haven't tried it yet) but the vanilla AI can certainly handle multiple weapons and does so reasonably intelligently in my experience.

[edit]I will say though that I rarely engage tanks or ask the AI to do so. Indeed, I think apart from that second mission where you have to take it out, I only use tanks/artillery/air-strikes against tanks or, if they aren't available, I avoid them like the plague.[/edit]

Edited by Pritzl

Confirmed - you can definitely avoid both tanks. It just involves moving around the perimeter a lot. After the tower goes down there are a couple of nearby tangoes who I take out then continue in a clockwise direction having approached the tower in a big loop. That is - away from the train station and away from the shortest route to the helo. Continue in this mode spotting the occasaional tango with the drone and killing them until eventually you are at the pick up point.

If you have done your job right in your original approach and taken out the tangoes, the biggest problems occur nearer to the helo when there are a whole bunch of tangoes first in some workshops and then in a destroyed building which occur after passing under the elevated freeway once more. (Its a kind of long building and looking down on it from the drone the roof looks damaged - other than that its hard to say since I did not get closer) You need to pass thru or close to the workshop but can avoid getting too close to the destroyed building - which is just as well as thats where the last tank is situated. Just as you approach the helos location take care there is one last tango on a nearby rooftop just waiting to take you out and send you back to the last save point.

cheers

Edited by peterm1

I hate the hit and miss system of choosing weapons for the levels. So far i've been alright as I can spread several weapons to different people. For the first single player mission i used the obvious, silenced, scoped weapons and limited weight for quick movement. I'm not so sure for guardrail IX under normal difficulty

First

I've tried the sniper rifle, I didnt like it and havnt used it even till now. Unless you guys really recommend it for this level

I'm wondering what other weapons to use, which is best for this mission.

As well as, what mods should I add? Scope is a must. Silencer? should I use the GL or the Grip?

Also, my secondary I've kept to the 9mm pistol, would you recommend the mp55?

and what should I add, more ammo, more grenades or rockets or nothing at all? (i'm generally good with ammo but I almost always have used extra ammo whenever I could, i figured a GL and grenades without extra of anything was good, but if I use grip in this case(if u recommend) should i get extra grenades?

Its just that while Im sure i can get by with any weapon as i have so far(sans the sniper rifle) i want the tactical feel as much as possible, i'd like to complete the mission with as few deaths as possible

I used the Scar-H with a silencer and combat sight. M9 with silencer and extra grenades. I used the satellite view quite a bit to check for movement around corner I couldn't see or get the drone to id anyone. I also use single shot and usually fire 2 or 3 shots at an enemy unless they're super far away in which case I squeeze off one round at a time until I see them go down and not get back up.

There is a tank that shows up later, but you don't have to kill it, you can keep out of its line of sight, or bring along the Zeus to get it with.

Other then that, just be a sneaky sob and make your way to the objective sticking to cover and being careful around the corners. Good luck.

I used the Scar-H with a silencer and combat sight. M9 with silencer and extra grenades. I used the satellite view quite a bit to check for movement around corner I couldn't see or get the drone to id anyone. I also use single shot and usually fire 2 or 3 shots at an enemy unless they're super far away in which case I squeeze off one round at a time until I see them go down and not get back up.

There is a tank that shows up later, but you don't have to kill it, you can keep out of its line of sight, or bring along the Zeus to get it with.

Other then that, just be a sneaky sob and make your way to the objective sticking to cover and being careful around the corners. Good luck.

u said u used a silencer and combat sight, did u use a GL or grip?

same here, the only problem is that i dont kno the full benefits/cons of each weapon and the mods to it

with a foregrip.....how does it help.....and how does it hinder?

without it...how does it help?

Also, besides the sniper and heavy machine gun, which is the weakest weapon/ which has the longest range?

thanks, sorry to bother with all these qeustions, but i never found any sites to help out!

oviously sniper/machine gun isnt weak....

At the bottom left of your arming screen is a representation of weapon effectiveness. It lists accuracy, impact, stability and weight. Furthermore, when you select a specific mod, you will see it's impact on the base weapon stats highlighted there.

The mods usually work as follows:

1. All of them increase weight to a varying degree.

2. Scopes increase accuracy.

3. Silencers decrease accuracy.

4. GL and fore-grips increase stability but decrease accuracy.

My personal favourite combo is: SCAR-H + scope and silencer.

Well, the stats at the bottom should be different each time you put on or take off an attachment. To be honest, I never really understood them that much. It doesn't seem to make sense that the accuracy goes down when you put a foregrip on, but oh well. I think it's more stable if you go full auto, but try some things out and see how you like them. I thought the mrc was the weakest, but I'm not clear on that.

Well, the stats at the bottom should be different each time you put on or take off an attachment. To be honest, I never really understood them that much. It doesn't seem to make sense that the accuracy goes down when you put a foregrip on, but oh well. I think it's more stable if you go full auto, but try some things out and see how you like them. I thought the mrc was the weakest, but I'm not clear on that.

I love the mrc.......its the most silent. I thought it'd be weak too, but its the most stable and i can kill people from any distance, as long as i can see them, the 3 burst usually takes them and since it has 50 shots its pretty good

not so sure about the other weapons though...gonn check them out

I hate the hit and miss system of choosing weapons for the levels. So far i've been alright as I can spread several weapons to different people. For the first single player mission i used the obvious, silenced, scoped weapons and limited weight for quick movement. I'm not so sure for guardrail IX under normal difficulty

First

I've tried the sniper rifle, I didnt like it and havnt used it even till now. Unless you guys really recommend it for this level

I'm wondering what other weapons to use, which is best for this mission.

As well as, what mods should I add? Scope is a must. Silencer? should I use the GL or the Grip?

Also, my secondary I've kept to the 9mm pistol, would you recommend the mp55?

and what should I add, more ammo, more grenades or rockets or nothing at all? (i'm generally good with ammo but I almost always have used extra ammo whenever I could, i figured a GL and grenades without extra of anything was good, but if I use grip in this case(if u recommend) should i get extra grenades?

Its just that while Im sure i can get by with any weapon as i have so far(sans the sniper rifle) i want the tactical feel as much as possible, i'd like to complete the mission with as few deaths as possible

In reply. I have modded weapons so more have access to scopes. In particular the little M8 compact in second position now has a scope and I always choose it (with scope) over a pistol as a backup. Sometimes I add a silencer too it if I think that stealth will be useful from time to time, especially where the main weapon does not have a silencer. The M8 sight also gives plenty of ability to keep an eye on whats happening nearby as it does not dominate the field of view. Its quite useful to use this is close range fire fights. (How often when using the SCAR have I been sighting down on a tango only get picked off by one of his buddies because I cannot see what is going on around me. Too dman often)

As a primary I prefer the SCAR H but often do not choose it as there is no way of picking up ammo on the way and in heavy firefights and long missions its just too easy to run out even when being careful to fire short bursts. Usually I use the M4 SopMod addon. This is a nice weapon; accurate and fires standard cartridges that allow me to pick up extra ammo on the way. Usually I have a grenade launcher attached simply because I almost always find one or two spots in a mission when there is a need to blow something or someone. There will often be a tango around the corner that you just cannot get any other way without exposing yourself to fire. Besides, when a panhard goes up it goes up bigtime and looks purty.

As extras in my backpack I almost always equip extra grenades for the launcher if I have selected this for the main weapon. I can always pick up extra cartridges but without choosing additonal grenades you only get about 3 and usually that is just too few to do the job well. The extras you carry in the backpack leave plenty for most missions including a few to chuck around just for the hell of it.

There is a posting in the wepons mod section which tells you how to add a sniper scope to a standard weapon and how to boost the magnification on the aimpoint. Thats useful too from time to time but truth is I find that while the SCAR H and a sniper scope is effective for long range sniping its pretty useless for a hot and heavy fire fight as your vision is just too restricted for my liking.

Edited by peterm1

• 2 months later...

Can some explain why after reaching the second check point when the helicopter resupplies you does the screen go all fuzzy and interference? I can understand that the drone may not work because of mex jamming the signals but why does it effect the players vision?

Can some explain why after reaching the second check point when the helicopter resupplies you does the screen go all fuzzy and interference? I can understand that the drone may not work because of mex jamming the signals but why does it effect the players vision?

The reason is becuase youa re looking through a special pair of glasses which is constantly being used as the forward screen for your Heads up display. (HUD). and the projection system built into your uniform as well as the data coming own through that system is experiencing interfernce, cuasing the entire projection system to fuzz out.

This is likely the implied game element.

Of course, a soldier wold never tolerate this and would likely either turn off the system or remove the HUD glasses. But I always felt that this is what they meant to imply.

WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD

Also it is very satisfying when you locate the radio tower which is transmitting the interfernce and your actions cuase a shut down of the technology which is causing the interference and you suddenly see the HUD reverse fizzle back onto your screen and your vision clears up.

For the want of a flip-up visor, the war was lost.

LOL. Now that's funny.

But alas, it is still a game and somehow, I managed to find it "acceptable" at the time i was playing through. Never thought about how silly it was until this thread.

Or you can look at it this way, the jamming cuts down the glare of that magical glowing little demo charge that has been conveniently placed for your use.

that brings up a interesting point. Why do developers continue to use this method of the glowing "place bomb here" thing. I have seen it in games for years.

It would seem that a simple modification to this method would feel far more realistic to the player and still help "funnel" the player into getting it done.

Obviously, developers feel they cannot simply let you place a bomb anywhere. After all, if they did, you might place it in the wrong place, blow up the wrong thing (or nothing), run out of explosives, and be unable to complete the mission. Some hard core realism heads would say "Yea? so what? tough luck. Just like in the real world". But the devs know that the overwhleming response would be anger for allowing the player to waste their time and go down a path that leads to no where.....

A better approach might be to have a simple icon appear on the screen, or hear some radio message from HQ when you arrive at the objective (Bunker for example) confirming your arrival and telling you to set the charge and get out. Then simply enable the ability to place the charge at any location inside the bunker. A wall, the floor etc. But if you leave the bunker, suddenly, the charge won't take. or better yet, you get a corrective radio message from a squad mate or whoever saying "You need to place that deeper into the bunker ... be careful going in there ... we will cover you from out here" or some such thing.

I can do without the glowing "place bomb here" thing. It has a real "this is a video game - come out of your immersed state" feel to it.

Edited by Sleepdoc

I can do without the glowing "place bomb here" thing. It has a real "this is a video game - come out of your immersed state" feel to it.

Agreed. :yes: Would be much better if they required you to use some brain power to figure out where the best place to plant demo charge for maximum effect. Plus they could have it do minimal damage if not placed in a good spot,then you would have to use another demo to finish it off! :) No more glowing demo areas please. ;)