Ghost Recon.net Forums
CR6

X-Fi Crackles Explained

I've heard several complaints about this, good to see they found the reason why:

http://theinquirer.net/?article=31780

Apparently, all of those that exhibited the symptoms were high-spec gaming systems. Isolating them has taken a bit of time mostly because although they all seemed be based on NForce4 chipsets, they didn’t have much else in common.

The firm is set to release an official statement on the whole problem, which will tip up here.

"We have found that with certain high-end systems and configurations, Sound Blaster X-Fi is being held off from receiving data from the PCI bus for significant periods of time, in some cases for close to two-thirds of a millisecond. This causes our audio buffers to underflow, which produces crackling sounds," he said.

This is a complete mirror of Audigy cards & VIA chipsets back in 2003 .. very similar, with crackling and popping.

Good info bro keep us posted, they have not touched there drivers for a long while either.

I had issues with crackling with my Audigy 2 and saw on the forums that a ton of people were having the same issue a while back so I bought a Turtlebeach.

thanks for the update, now we need some stable drivers for Vista Beta 2 on 64 bit lol

i get the popping with my audigy 4

Yeah I get the popping in domination with my Audigy2 ZS but I dont expect any more drivers for it.