Third Person Mod

I have changed the file "camera_settings.xml"

It works already but the player is headless.

I have only changed the distance settings in this file to 200.

3rdperson.jpg

<camera name="person" type="target">

<camera>

<controller type="distance" distance="200" track_target="false" lerp="1.0"/>

<controller type="non_penetration" ref_object="0" sphere_cast_radius="10" indent="10" ray_type_mask="camera -phantom" planar_cast="true"/>

<!-- ray_type_mask="body" planar_cast="false" slots="1 13 15 16 17 20 21 33 35 36 37"/> -->

</camera>

<target local_offset="0 0 0" >

<controller name="person_target" type="distance" distance="0" lerp="1.0"/>

<controller name="person_up" type="up_vector" ref_object="0" lerp="1.0"/>

</target>

</camera>

<!--

Please Help !!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use the vidcom from another soldier to see where your head is ?

maybe that it floats where you look from

but the detachable head also happens ingame sometimes when dying/dead

Im sort of a nub when it comes to xml but i think i might have an idea. I was looking at...

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\data\objects\beings\spawn_dummy xml

...and i think one of the spawn object might have an xml code to just spawn the body. Not really sure but i hope that helps

Edit: another idea would be:

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\data\objects\beings\ghost_lead

Edited by Beers

Maybe this will help guys this is the setting from the third person view that was intended but not used. Everything is good cept some swaying from left to right when standing idle. The ingame camera is a combination of 2 cameras, they are as follows.

<camera name="person" type="target">

<camera local_offset="0 0 0">

<controller type="distance" distance="200" lerp="0.1" track_target="false" />

<controller track_target="false" type="behind" angle="0" lerp="0.08"/>

<controller type="height" height="50" lerp="0.1" track_target="false"/>

</camera>

<target local_offset="0 0 250" >

<controller type="distance" distance="0" lerp="0.9"/>

</target>

</camera>

<camera name="new_person" type="target">

<camera local_offset="0 0 0">

<controller track_target="false" type="distance" distance="200" lerp="0.08"/>

<controller track_target="false" type="behind" angle="0" lerp="0.1"/>

<controller track_target="false" type="stick_tilt" speed="15" min_tilt="-30" max_tilt="60" absolute="true" start_angle="15" lerp="0.5"/>

</camera>

<target local_offset="0 0 0">

<controller type="distance" distance="0" lerp="0.5"/>

</target>

</camera>

Good luck with fine tuneing it.

Do what you want with this information.

Wow nice work! it now follows the char when he strifs (A and D) and the action movement is cool. The only prob is when you try to shoot or just walk/run foward the camera goes right and left sort of wierd (the crosshair doesnt really, but it's distracting), def need to fine tune ill update tommorrow if there are better setting (or maybe u will, plz? im bad at xml), but seriously Good JOB this is a big step (aside from getting the head to work! :P ) GJ!!!

Edited by Beers

Where is the file for this for me to modify?? I've looked but must be blind because I can't find it. I really want to try the 3rd person view, I really like it in GR2 and would love it for GRAW. Thanks.

I pmed it to ya :P

Edit: well im sort of lost as to what makes the camera move back and forth need help :(

I did manage to stop it one time, but I lost the Strife following (A and D), All i really did was edit some of the lerp values

Edited by Beers

ok i dont understand how to change the files.. i extracted the bundle files into the graw/data/ folder.... i changed the camera_settings.xml files by changing the distance to 200 and when i went ingame it did nothing... when i copied and pasted xtreams xml stuff into the file the game just crashed once i left the helo.. can some one in idiot terms specificly type how to do everything starting the the extracting.. please... once i get that downi can work my magic..because i am a successful modder for a team for rvs.. www.unfinished-games.com ... so im dumb all the way up to the modding part. lol.. thanks guys and gals..

i think you didnt rename your bundle file in the bundle folder..

Edited by Beers

Well breathing is what makes is move back and fourth. And when you run it moves back and fourth just like in first person view. So what will need to be done is to edit the Camera_Effects.xml file. I would get rid of the breathing effect but keep the running part because that is apart of the first person view as well.

But what Bumsklops has setup is good but the only problem I can see maybe the camera will so through objects if you backup against them. So try tweaking his setup, because it looks a lil more stable.

Edited by xtream

Well breathing is what makes is move back and fourth. And when you run it moves back and fourth just like in first person view. So what will need to be done is to edit the Camera_Effects.xml file. I would get rid of the breathing effect but keep the running part because that is apart of the first person view as well.

But what Bumsklops has setup is good but the only problem I can see maybe the camera will so through objects if you backup against them. So try tweaking his setup, because it looks a lil more stable.

Dont give up on your setup just yet, I mean new ppl using thirdperson use bumsklops, but ppl who want to continue to tweak i would suggest to use yours, because yours follows strifing (A and D). I dont have time today to test the efftects out, but anyone who does plz give it a shoot :)

Edited by Beers

:wall: im stumped on how the 3rd person views are going to be. i can not see them so being like GR:summit strike, or Roguespear. ill keep working on it.. but has anyone had any more luck than me?

ok i have been working on this 3rd person view on my whole day off work.. i finally figured out a easy way to get the head to appear.. I can tell you now to all..but you might be disappointed because........

it is impossible.. we need a 3ds plugin or some model sdk tool to do this i have changed models and everything possible.. the camera for the user is inside the head of the player. because even though you changed the distance from the body..the head goes with the camera.. although you are not seeing your self in third person. even though you can see the model all that is.. its a lignment problem.. that is your fps model. so what we need to focus on finding is the third person model..which i had found. in the camera settings there is a name of third_front , third_right , third_left...... etc those are the cameras for the third person model and perspectives. so if anyone knows how to do key bindings maybe that will work.. but i dontknow anything besides editing the model itself..

Great finds guys.

Maybe i'm outta' line here, but don't you think the devs (GRIN) could assist us in this matter? They should atleast be able to point us in the right direction or create a small plug-in that adds a head to the char.

Give it a shot even though there is a huge chance they will over look you it never hurts to try (ill msg them 2 lol)

back on topic, I have free time now so im going to fool around with some .xml (dont worry ill make backups)

I really hope there is a way to get this working; GRAW seems more like Rogue Spear to me then Ghost Recon generally so this would make a really nice mod.

Samurai Recon makes a good point, it's rather bizarre that this game can be so thoroughly disassembled and the mod poptential now appears bright, but GRIN so completely shys away from documenting even basic XML strings -- making modding more of a chore in hack/guess work then fun...

:unsure:

I really hope there is a way to get this working; GRAW seems more like Rogue Spear to me then Ghost Recon generally so this would make a really nice mod.

Samurai Recon makes a good point, it's rather bizarre that this game can be so thoroughly disassembled and the mod poptential now appears bright, but GRIN so completely shys away from documenting even basic XML strings -- making modding more of a chore in hack/guess work then fun...

:unsure:

I seriously need help with figureing this out, my crappy skills arnt helping me <_<:wall: , if any 1 else wants to take a shot at thirdperson please HELP :P

Edited by Beers

I just extracted the bundle, so I can't say I've actually looked at the XML, but perhaps GRIN will release a quick guide on the XML. The whole concept behind XML is to essentially wrap and encode data in a way specified by a schema. If you explain that schema, it will quickly make sense.

hey guys just a quick note, you do _not_ need to edit the 3dsmax files or anything else like that in order to make the head show. Im not a scripter but I do know that the headmodel is simply tagged as hidden in the script for the the player. it should be somewhere in "human.dsf" something along the lines of "head visibility" or the like.