new computer.

JTF-2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! ok a lot of stuff there. i don't mind AMD or Intel. for my purposes (gaming, modding, 3dsm) both will work fine and i'm not worried about which one will overclock becuase i have no desire to do so (yet). i don't think i will notice a big difference between them, so go ahead and give me options for both. i'm open to any idea. :D

LOL! :lol: McLaren F1 LM. as soon as i saw this was turning to cars that was the first thought i had. also, just to correct you Stinger (oh god, i'm revealing my true dorkeness here) but actually the LM is the most accelerative car (0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds). The LM doesn't go up to 240 becuase of all the extra wings and defusers etc, it only goes to about 230. and the "standard" F1 is the fastest (241 mph) :blink::wacko:

ok now that i got that out of my system, we can get back to that comp. as i said i'm open to new ideas. also i don't need the BEST ATI card i'd be happy with a 9500PRO 128mb card. i am a gamer so a CRT monitor would be nice. for a processor i'd be happy with a 2.4 and spend the extra money on other stuff.

PS, thanks guys! feel free to post more of that Intel/AMD propoganda :P:D

Well, I'd assume you'll end up with a 9700Pro. When the 9800's hit the market, prices should drop making it a very attractive buy.

JTF, if you want to to save money, just go ahead and buy an AMD. Besides, if you upgrade later, you'll find that more userfriendly as well as their boards containing newer technology faster.

Top speed of the MkIV variation of the GT40 was 220mph. Not too bad for a car built in the late '60s eh?

1967_ford_gt40_mk4-1.gif

Edited by RooK

hey Rook, did you hear Ford are builing a modern GT40? they showed the prototype a while ago and they just announced they would actually build it in limited numbers. it looks A LOT like the origianl. should be a blast to drive when it comes out!

ok, so about this computer...can you guys give me a list of bits (everything i would need) for my computer with rough prices (don't forget, in Canuck money)? AMD fans (ie Rook) how about an AMD system. and to you Stinger i challenge thou to come up with a better Intel system. well gentlemen, the gauntlet has been laid down. good luck to you both. :hehe::D

Well what is the price you want? I mean I can come up with a killer $2k system but if you dont really wanna spend that much then what do you wanna spend? Oh and the Intel one will be smoking anything that RooK and his homo AMD skills can toss out. :P And trust me, you may not want to OC now, but what if you change your mind :blink:

i'm considering overclocking in the future when even this computer becomes a bit on the slow side.

for the sake of this "competition" the price limit will be set at $2000 CND. i can always take it down a notch from there myself if i have to. :D

CPU: AMD 2500XP Barton 333FSB -                              $170

HS: Thermalright SLK-800 -                                         $  38

Fan: YS Tech 80mm 10-48cfm -                                    $   8

Thermal Compound: AS3 -                                           $   6

MB: Epox 8RDA+ Nforce2 Chipset -                              $102

Ram: 2x 256mb (512 total) Corsair XMS PC3200 -         $162

HDD: Maxtor 80gb ATA133 8mb Cache -                       $100

Speakers: Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 -                          $  73

GFX: Ati Radeon 9700Pro 128mb Retail -                       $348

Case: Antec Performance Plus 1080 w/ Antec 430w PS - $130

OS: WinXP Pro w/ SP1 OEM -                                        $143

Monitor: Samsung 19" CRT -                                        $180

Total:                                                                         $1460USD/2143CAD

Prices are from Newegg.com

I think I have everything listed you will need to get it started and use it, no extras. You'll notice the lack of a sound card, it's because the mb comes with onboard sound that is better than and uses less cpu than a pci card. It also allows 5.1 channel and SPIDF connections.

It's slightly over your limit, but has EVERYTHING needed to overclock, if you should go that way. The most expensive being the ram. Corsair is special low latency ram that allows amazing speeds while still using aggressive timings, cheap ram won't overclock hardly at all. If you would rather not get the expensive ram (but not overclock) then go ahead and buy 2x 256mb sticks of that. Why 2? Nforce2's utilize dual channel ddr, requiring 2 sticks to activate. It not only increases memory performance, but is AMD exclusive atm (Stinger, show me an Intel board on the market that uses it).

The Barton CPU not only uses the new 166fsb (*2 = 333) (while Intel is still using 133fsb (*4 = 533)) but also has the 512kb of L2 cache, matching the P4. The Barton cores also overclock over 1ghz and are comparable to Intels. It's a great cpu. The HSF combo as well as thermal compound are the best available. You'll find no better and it'll keep that cpu nice and cool, overclocking or not.

The mb is one of the best. It currently holds the highest 3dmark 2001 and 2003 scores (as well as being AMD, not Intel systems) and is the top choice for overclocking AMD cpus to their max atm.

The case includes Antec's top of the line True Power power supply and will be all you will ever need, plus it's cheaper than buying a seperate power supply.

Other ones are just my choice and for reference, enjoy.

No matter what you pick, get the monitor at a local store it will be a lot cheaper. Wait a bit and you'll see Intel on their 800MHz FSB...now rook dont say nothin :P

It's slightly over your limit

Neener Neener :P

(Stinger, show me an Intel board on the market that uses it)
I am too lazy, but to go to google.com and Look up Granite Bay boards. E7...something chipset Not sure...but they use Dual Channel DDR too :P

And this Intel will OC higher than that barton. I'd bet my stash.

OMG! i'm speachless... :blink: those are amazing...and to think, i was going to buy a Dell. HA!

i'll print out those and take them into a few local computer stores and barter over the price for a bit. i can't believe how much computer you can get for $2000. i mean i thought to get something really nice you'd have to spend like $3000 but ######! those are amazing. there are a HUGE step up from mu current PII350...

i'm sorry to do this to you both, but i just don't know which one to pick. they're both....perfect! i'll let you know once i've actually been to the store and looked at the grand total. so i'll probably let you know this weekend (hopefully)

i could never thank you all enough. i mean the amount of time and help you have given me was increadable (this is beggining to sound like an Oscar acceptance speach) but anyway; Thank You. :)

Dell....what was i THINKING!

Your likes these gun control advocates, you lack to see the full picture and twist to your favor by leaving things out.

#1: It's 200fsb *4. Same thing as AMD's 200fsb, which will be out sooner and on the Barton core, and they will even work on current nforce2 boards. Can't say that for Intel :rolleyes:

#2: It's over, but I included everything, higher quality components (take note of ram) and provided a better pc :P

#3: That board is not on the market and won't be till Intel introduces the their CPUs for it, on a new socket even. It's a non issue and you failed to correct me.

#4: They overclock the same, and I don't want your stash.

(this is beggining to sound like an Oscar acceptance speach) but anyway; Thank You. :)

As long as it isn't like Michael Moore's, ramble all you want, no music is playing ;)

The thing to building a nice pc for less is to cut corners when you can, improve it elsewhere.

D*** it!

I work for a full day and this happens...sorry JTF-2, wasn't included in this portion of the task, however, I will say this:

Either PC will suit you well, but RooK's entry is more of what I was thinking. Some of the components differ from what I was thinking, but you will have a system that will last you a long time. There is no reason to upgrade a computer every six months for new hardware. Processor speed is processor speed. Period. You will not notice much difference with a 1.5GHz to a 2.0GHz, or a 2.0GHz to a 2.5GHz application wise. Graphics are the only thing that really push the processor and system to the limits. Your normal everyday Internet browsing, MS Word apps, or Tax return sheets will not draw substantial resourses.

So, IMO, the graphics card is the main bottleneck in most systems. You can take a 750MHz machine with mediocre ram and an ok processor. But the minute you swap the cruddy video card out, the new GFX card breaths new life in a system. In your case, you will get an exceptional processor either way, but the 9700PRO will increase graphic applications tremendously.

As for the PSU, I swear by Antec. Used a few others, but always go back to the TruePower Series. Why? Yes they are a bit pricy, however I believe that the PSU is one of the most important aspects of a computer system. Consider what you PSU is connected to. You run the risk of frying components with a PSU that might be labeled a "350Watt", but for how long can the PSU replicate the demand? You start getting voltage drops and fluctuations in current. This is not good for electronic components. Antec's TruePower Series are very stable and clean. 430Watts is plenty for any future upgrading.

As for a monitor, I have one suggestion. Do what you want with it, but I have a KDS X-Flat 9e 19" Flat CRT. I LOVE IT! Very high contrast and sharpness. Anti-glare and everything. You might consider this monitor. Also from NewEgg.com >KDS X-Flat

Stinger has a great PC their too, he has produced a great entry. I will leave this one to you, because you probably already know what I would say...

If you notice both Rook and myself have recommended AMD. We both know that AMD has used the same socket design for all of their CPUs for all of the Althon/Duron line (last 2 or 3 years easy) unlike Intel and will be able to use newer CPUs in the future unlike Intel again. An original P4 won't fit in a late model P4 socket.

#1: It's 200fsb *4. Same thing as AMD's 200fsb, which will be out sooner and on the Barton core, and they will even work on current nforce2 boards. Can't say that for Intel
I knew you'd say something :P

#3: That board is not on the market and won't be till Intel introduces the their CPUs for it, on a new socket even. It's a non issue and you failed to correct me.
Oh Contrere, it is. People have used it.

Whichever pc you buy it will suit you great. After you decide we can help spiff it up a bit more.

Note to people, I need another Intel Fanboy, seing as its always 3 on 1. :angry:

Oh Contrere, it is. People have used it.

People have used the GFFX and 9800Pro, doesn't mean it's 'available' to the public.

ARRGGHHH, I cant link to the boards. Okay, go to Newegg.com then go to the Intel Motherboards, then clickon the Northbridge E7205 chipset. That is where you'll find them. And yes I can you can my grandma can my grandpa can my cousin can the president can the Iranians can the whole frickin world can buy it.

Edited by Stinger

OK so you can get it. Remember that AMD gets the same or close to the same preformance with a memory being double pumped as Intel does quad pumping something. If the Intel stuff was only double pumped I would have to suspect that the Intel preformance would be under what AMD's preformance is.

North Bridge Chipset [intel E7205] based mobo's

I still say that the best way to go is the AMD way as you can just about bet you won't need to do much if ya want to use a faster CPU in the future unlike Intel where you most likely need to buy a new mobo again.

BTW ASUS has a neat utility that allows you to flash the BIOS while in windows (I did it this way and was so simple and easy) and is a mobo worth looking at.

BTW ASUS has a neat utility that allows you to flash the BIOS while in windows (I did it this way and was so simple and easy) and is a mobo worth looking at.

The Asus boards are great for that WhiteKnight, extremely useful for updates and although it may sound like a bit of trivia overall, for those people who have never flashed their BIOS before and it's something that they may need to do it can be a pretty scary process for them lol, that takes the stress out of doing that :). This Gigabyte I'm using at the moment also has that facility and also has the Dual-BIOS redundancy should the main BIOS go down too, that's pretty handy too.

50/50 whether I'd go Asus or Gigabyte when I upgrade in the future as both are awesome......Would probably go with the Asus tho.....Not that I'm gonna do that for a while tho lol, this one should do the job for the near future for what I use the comp for rofl!!!

Stinger, how come those boards don't support over PC2100 DDR?

Something fishy is going on with that chipset.

Tiger, be careful with Gigabyte. Mine and most 7VRXP's are lemons, they don't do what they should and tech support is awful. Go with Asus, Abit or Epox. Epox will be my next choice, come hell or high water.

Edited by RooK