Map Editor is built into the game !

fangster

Was messing around with xml files and I turned it on.

It's not very functional. I ca'nt seem to get textures to show. But it's there thats for sure.

Kinda makes me mad as this was probably intended for release but they did'nt finish it as with other parts of the game.

Anyway guys, try this out

open up context.xml from your GRAW root folder and change this line

<script base="data" exec="menu/menu" editor="true" language="english"/

Run the game. Load up a LAN multi map. Violla !!!! In the editor

Now maybe somone can help figure this out and fix it so we can make some new maps.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It worked!

It looked very broken, but I did see something. You can selt models and place them. That is at least what it seemed like. If it were completed I guesss, it would be obvious if I were placing an object or not. Well, now we know there really can be an editor.

silent_op

the complete context.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<context>

<script base="data" exec="menu/menu" editor="false" language="english"/>

<layer_config file="\data\settings\layers.xml"/>

<scene_config file="\data\settings\scenes.xml"/>

<unit_database file="\data\units.xml"/>

<sound settings="/data/sound/settings.xml" />

<network settings="/data/settings/network.xml" />

<static_texture_scope file="\data\settings\static_texture_scope.xml"/>

<skeleton_def file="\data\objects\def.xml"/>

<animations def="\data\anims\anims.xml" state_machine="\data\anims\state_machines.xml"/>

<texture base="\data\textures" />

<effects file="\data\effects\effects.xml"/>

<decals file="\data\effects\decals\decals.xml"/>

<!--<keys disable_windows_key="false" />-->

<default_shader_config file="\data\shader\default_shader_config.xml"/>

<default_render_templates file="\data\shader\default_render_templates.xml"/>

<physics settings="\data\settings\physics_settings.xml" fps="60" novodex="hardware" />

<global_materials file="\data\settings\materials.xml" />

<gui file="\data\gui" optimized="true"/>

<camera shakes="\data\settings\camera_effects.xml" cameras="\data\settings\camera_settings.xml" />

<bundler make_logs="false"/>

<nls_lookup size="64"/>

<installer use="false"/>

<calc_video_mem_adjust value="false"/>

<!-- Enable this for bundled versions. -->

<compile xml="false" scripts="false" mopps="false" texture_db="false"/></context>

anyone one the last lines ?

i dare not try myself for all i know i would make a mess of things

but would the last line not be set to true to enable ?

:stupid::g_withgrin:

thanks sunraa but i did get that :D

prob my lacking english writing

i know the editor is in third line, but i thought about the lack of texture mentioned earlier could be in the last line

i am a noob in these things so never mind me if it is not

just saw the line with all that false in it :

<compile xml="false" scripts="false" mopps="false" texture_db="false"/>

last option was texture_db

it was just a thought

posted the whole xml for those who could understand it and maybe find more to it

i think the last line has to do with running the game unpacked instead of from the quick.bundle file.

so if you enable those options, instead of reading from inside the .bundle, the game reads from the folders within graw/data (which are currently empty).

im only speculating.

Well, I tried enabling that early one after the demo had been released and after doing so starting an SP game caused a crash. If I remember right I got something about missing some M1A1 files as reason.

Well, I tried enabling that early one after the demo had been released and after doing so starting an SP game caused a crash. If I remember right I got something about missing some M1A1 files as reason.

A tank? Wow, must a tank script in the plaza. Damn, as if the demo wasn't hard enough.

i think the last line has to do with running the game unpacked instead of from the quick.bundle file.

so if you enable those options, instead of reading from inside the .bundle, the game reads from the folders within graw/data (which are currently empty).

im only speculating.

It does indeed compile xml and script files from the data folder.

im only speculating.

It does indeed compile xml and script files from the data folder.

so that enables running from an unpacked quick.bundle???

The game runs from the unpacked bundle without any modification. Infact thats what i did, unpack the files and rename the bundle and the game loaded perfectly. Actually i sneakily added my name to the game credits and sure enough my name poped up. Those options tell the game engine to generate compiled script files when it runs. I suppose the game runs on compiled script/xml files for performance and obscurity reasons, but compiling is optional.

I've done a little work on reversing the games script files and have been able to figure out the imports, classes, methods and functions in that file, along with a very basic understanding of other stuff. Be nice to write a disassembler for the script files, but its alot of work and if they bring out a SDK there is little point.

I dont think that in game editor is the real game editing program. I've played about with it and it seems to lack a great deal of usablility to develop the massive maps in GRAW. I suppose there could be a ton of missing dev ui files that make it workable but i dont think that in game editor will produce anything usable. I could be wrong tho.

Edited by Nemon

how dare I sleep...has there been a post about decompiling the bundle file? if not, mind sharing how to unpacked it.

Well i figured out the file structure by reading it and spending a few mins writing a extractor in C#.

how dare I sleep...has there been a post about decompiling the bundle file? if not, mind sharing how to unpacked it.

Well i figured out the file structure by reading it and spending a few mins writing a extractor in C#.

Any chance u can share the extractor so the more inquisitive minded of us can take a peek?

Well this is just what i made for myself to have a look, buggy, etc.

http://nemon.myby.co.uk/BundleReader.exe

You'll need the .NET Framework 2.0 and tech support is not included.

Just dump the data folder to the games install folder and rename the quick.bundle file. The game will load up fine with the data out of the folders and you can tweak stuff as much as you like. If you edit an XML file you may need to delete the accompanying xml.bin, altho i think the game checks time stamps and will auto update if you edit a file.

Edit: I see someone else was talking about writing a rebundler aswell, i figured it was kinda pointless when the game files will run from the folder and i doubt anyone is going to redistribute a GB+ size bundle file.

Edited by Nemon

Well this is just what i made for myself to have a look, buggy, etc.

http://nemon.myby.co.uk/BundleReader.exe

You'll need the .NET Framework 2.0 and tech support is not included.

Just dump the data folder to the games install folder and rename the quick.bundle file. The game will load up fine with the data out of the folders and you can tweak stuff as much as you like. If you edit an XML file you may need to delete the accompanying xml.bin, altho i think the game checks time stamps and will auto update if you edit a file.

Edit: I see someone else was talking about writing a rebundler aswell, i figured it was kinda pointless when the game files will run from the folder and i doubt anyone is going to redistribute a GB+ size bundle file.

Thanks Nemon...worked like a charm. I unpacked the bundle into the bundle folder in the GRAW directory. I then renamed quick.bundle to quick-1.bundle. I fooled around with some of the weapon stats and when I placed the unpacked folder into the bundle directory. WHen I opened the game, I got this error: almost immediately

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.02

[Application::setup_scenes] Failed loading scene config file!

Any suggestions on whats going on here?? Maybe a rebundler would be a good idea after all...

Edited by Scubaman3D

Thanks Nemon. :)

EDIT: One thing I did notice after running everything un-bundled, the game takes longer to load, which is odd - because the bundle is approx 2.9GB & the un-bundled folder is approx 2.9GB in size.

Edited by Beaver

That was probably me, I was going to do it because I'd tried getting the demo to run with files from the bundle extracted to the file system and failed, probably because I'd just extracted a few by hand and left the actual bundle file sitting there.

I also thought it could act as a mod manager, modders would just distribute the files needed for their own particular mod and a list of changes to make to existing files, and the tool would unbundle, apply the changes needed and rebundle. Then if somebody wanted to deactivate mod x and install mod y, it would be a simple matter for it to unbundle the file, undo x's changes, apply y's and rebundle again.

So far I've failed pathetically at figuring out the bundle file format ( :stupid: ), but I'm sure it'll come to me soon.

Dont extract to the bundle folder. In the GRAW folder there is a Data folder, make a backup of this folder and then extract the data folder in the bundle to the games "install folder". This will place all the files from the data folder in the bundle in the "Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter/data" folder.

Edited by Nemon

Hmm looks like there will be some sort of weapon stats mod pretty soon ..

i guess don needs to rewrite the startup tool that it becomes not overwriting and the 1st steps into modding are done ..

wonder how it will work in MP ... are the weapon stats on the server the one who count or client ?

lets see whats going to come here