Modding existing weapons

Hi all,

I'm on a bit of a roll here so i might as well keep going..

Lined up my guys for a team photo shoot ...

From the rear with Scar L / Sniper scope + silencer as secondary

weapon

Image-005.jpg

From the front with modified Barrett, 3 fire modes including full auto, etc

Image-006.jpg

An interesting side effect of making the Scar L a secondary weapon is that you end up with two primary weapons and a secondary. One Scar L has the Combat sight and the other the Sniper Scope.

weapons.jpg

As you can see I have increased the clip size to 99 and added 3 round burst mode.

I think because at the load out screen the game automatically "loads" the Scar L by default I have ended up with two primary weapons. This also explains why there seems to be two scopes when the sniper scope is added.

I haven't actually tried this loadout with the Ghost ai yet on a mission, I have no idea how they will shoot with the sniper scope on the Scar.

Lets face it though they need all the help they can get !

I have been playing though for the last couple of days with this loadout, minus sniper scope on the scar, for all of the squad, and they don't get whacked as often !

In missions where the anti tank ZEUS is available they can also, in addition, use this. This is a one shot weapon and is disposed of when fired but I'm trying to figure out how to change this.

Just a word ... I'm modding these files for single player only, I don't want to ruin anybodys' online experience, I can't imagine that any of these mods would get by any decent checking system.

Regards ...

Well, its looking really good so far. Have you tried this with the EOTECH as well? (The Holo-like site on the MR/C)

What did you have to change to get the scope on the SCAR-L?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IM going to take a wild guess here.

But the scope problem is both a Script that needs to be changed, and an animation created for that weapon to work correctly with the scope.

If in fact it is the animation unless you can rip the bipeds or bones out of the game then you probly wont have much luck trying to fix it.

but please do continue this looks good thus far.

im really not sute how GRAW handels scopes/sights....

Hi all,

I have placed a link to this post in a modding post on UBI GRAW forum.

I do not know what the policy is regarding that on this site.

If this is not the done thing please let me know.

I am not trying to showboat or anything like that but maybe somebody will read this post and help to join all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together.

Off topic here ..

I really thought that GRAW was a dead duck for the first week or so.

But now I can see the potential and at the moment we are only scratching the surface of what can be done.

Can't wait for the modding tools to be released.

Talk soon

Regards ....

Hi all,

I have placed a link to this post in a modding post on UBI GRAW forum.

I do not know what the policy is regarding that on this site.

If this is not the done thing please let me know.

I am not trying to showboat or anything like that but maybe somebody will read this post and help to join all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together.

Off topic here ..

I really thought that GRAW was a dead duck for the first week or so.

But now I can see the potential and at the moment we are only scratching the surface of what can be done.

Can't wait for the modding tools to be released.

Talk soon

Regards ....

I started another thread in the weapons modding section to call attention to this type of modding. I placed an EOTECH on the SCAR L. I haven't gotten it to work yet, but it looks cool :)

Anyways, which lines did you change to get the scope to function??

EDIT: Picture

scar-eotech-loadout.jpg

Edited by Scubaman3D

OK, so I got it so I can choose any sight for my SCAR-L and SCAR-H. But two things.

1. Like scubaman, the scope is off center.

2. LIke paul, the eotech wont zoom.

Will post if I figure out the Eotech thing.

Hi Prozac360, Scubaman3d, Mig1 ...

In one of my previous posts I stated that the sniper scope was not functioing in zoom mode on the the Scar L. In actual fact I was mistaken, it was.

It turns out that it just takes a lot longer to work or "raise" when the zoom key is pressed.

I think this is because it is modeled for a much heavier and longer weapon, the Barrett.

When you zoom on the Scar with the combat sight on, it reacts much quicker. When the sniper scope is on the Scar it hesitates and seems not to work but will then raise if you press the zoom key again.

The time taken to raise or aim in zoom mode can be set from the XML files, although I have not tried it yet, reality check in progress, i.e. work !

I think if I reset the Scar L to be a primary weapon again this will remove the second Scar from the loadout and fix the two scope, or "scope within a scope", problem.

If any of you guys have any ideas on modding in general or weapons mods in particular please contribute, "thinking out loud" or throwing some ideas around might just help someone solve a problem they are stuck on or even point them in a new direction.

by the way Scubaman3d I really like your black Scar mod ...

Regards ...

Actually, I have kept the SCAR as a primary and I still get the off center scope.

My hypothesis is that the sight model contains the alignment point for "shouldering" a weapon. Since the Barret is wider, it is probably set to shoulder in more so the scope is centered on the weapon.

On a side note, my Ghosts are absolutely brutal with a scoped SCAR.

I can actually live with it like that until I get some time to reinstall my old copy of 3DSMax 3.x and try and figure out how to open the model files. Back in my days of creating models for GR1 and Rogue Spear, what you had to do was put certain "tags" on the model to show the game where to eject the shells from, where to put the muzzle flash, and I think where to hold the weapon.

My biggest pet pieve right now is figuring out why the Eotech doesn't zoom at all.

Actually, I have kept the SCAR as a primary and I still get the off center scope.

My hypothesis is that the sight model contains the alignment point for "shouldering" a weapon. Since the Barret is wider, it is probably set to shoulder in more so the scope is centered on the weapon.

On a side note, my Ghosts are absolutely brutal with a scoped SCAR.

I can actually live with it like that until I get some time to reinstall my old copy of 3DSMax 3.x and try and figure out how to open the model files. Back in my days of creating models for GR1 and Rogue Spear, what you had to do was put certain "tags" on the model to show the game where to eject the shells from, where to put the muzzle flash, and I think where to hold the weapon.

My biggest pet pieve right now is figuring out why the Eotech doesn't zoom at all.

Possibly the "eyepoint" for the particular scope is off centre because the location of the scope, further back or forward,left or right of centre is different on the Scar. It was never intended by the devs to be used on the Scar, maybe if it is possible to correct it for the Scar then it might not work properly on the Barrett.

If the model files are the diesel files, .dxe I think, then you can open them with a hex editor.

If you fish around in there you might find the "attachment" points for the weapons mods.

Presumably if someone figures out exactly what files depend on each other, a copy of the sniper scope and all its relevant files could be made and optimised for the Scar and then added to the mods list, mod_data file.

Also the function to zoom or not zoom might be accessable this way. The Eotech might not zoom on the Scar because it is a different type of scope. The sniper scope and combat sight are similar.

Have you tried the Aimpoint on the M8 carbine ? I have tried a scope on the Glock but it crashes the game. I have also added a grenade launcher to the MP5SD and the Glock ( ! ) but the model displays pointing in the wrong direction, i.e. towards the player. The game loads fine with the GL attached but it will not fire.

On another note when you say your Ghosts are brutal with the scoped Scar do you mean they are brutally efficient killers or brutal as in couldn't hit the side of a barn with a rocket launcher ?

Regards ...

On another note when you say your Ghosts are brutal with the scoped Scar do you mean they are brutally efficient killers or brutal as in couldn't hit the side of a barn with a rocket launcher ?

Regards ...

haha...I think he means the second one.

I got an error when I tried to add a silencer to the SAW, where it had something to do with particular *.dsf files.

As it was suggested earlier by Prozac360, I think the script files have something to do with this. I attempted to open the one that was referenced in the crash and is nearly indeciferable with a hexeditor, but I was able to find references to aligning textures.

Nemon has a script decoder, I think...he might be able to answer this question.

Edited by Scubaman3D

Regards ...

haha...I think he means the second one.

I got an error when I tried to add a silencer to the SAW, where it had something to do with particular *.dsf files.

As it was suggested earlier by Prozac360, I think the script files have something to do with this. I attempted to open the one that was referenced in the crash and is nearly indeciferable with a hexeditor, but I was able to find references to aligning textures.

Nemon has a script decoder, I think...he might be able to answer this question.

I have tried adding a silencer to the already silenced MP5SD, it crashed the game. Presumably the existing silencer is part of the 3d model as it can not be detached. When you add a second silencer the gui interface shows it is available but the 3d model has no attachment point for it.

In the weapon_data file you can see that there are three attachment locations - front, top and bottom.

If the 3d file for the MP5SD could be edited to accept a "front" mod then it might work.

On the other hand the Barrett does have an attachment point for a bipod, a "bottom" mounting mod, but when I modded it to accept another bottom mounting mod, the Scar 40mm grenade launcher, it crashed the game.

Maybe there are different types of mods, or mod classes - optical, projectile,suppression and mechanical

i.e. scopes, grenade launchers,silencers and bipods/tripods. The model might only accept the correct combination, until it is edited that is.

If you look at the weapons folders you will see that the ai weapons in particular are available in several different configurations. The HK21 is available in bipod, vehicle mount and I think tripod, the same applies to the gun mounted on the A1M1 tank.

By the way I don't know if you have noticed that the HK PSG automatic sniper rifle is available for use by the ai. Somebodys' mission should they choose to accept it... That would be a great mod to get working.

I have tried adding a silencer to the already silenced MP5SD, it crashed the game. Presumably the existing silencer is part of the 3d model as it can not be detached. When you add a second silencer the gui interface shows it is available but the 3d model has no attachment point for it.

In the weapon_data file you can see that there are three attachment locations - front, top and bottom.

If the 3d file for the MP5SD could be edited to accept a "front" mod then it might work.

On the other hand the Barrett does have an attachment point for a bipod, a "bottom" mounting mod, but when I modded it to accept another bottom mounting mod, the Scar 40mm grenade launcher, it crashed the game.

Maybe there are different types of mods, or mod classes - optical, projectile,suppression and mechanical

i.e. scopes, grenade launchers,silencers and bipods/tripods. The model might only accept the correct combination, until it is edited that is.

If you look at the weapons folders you will see that the ai weapons in particular are available in several different configurations. The HK21 is available in bipod, vehicle mount and I think tripod, the same applies to the gun mounted on the A1M1 tank.

By the way I don't know if you have noticed that the HK PSG automatic sniper rifle is available for use by the ai. Somebodys' mission should they choose to accept it... That would be a great mod to get working.

Hmmm, I don't think the weapon would be viewable in 1st person. There is no 3rd_person texture file for any weapons other than the ones available to the ghosts. Friendly AI could probably use it, though...but these 3rd_person files are importaint, I think.

Edited by Scubaman3D

some background as some of you guys seem knew.

Previous work, GR weapon mods, Weapons for oe1, and oe2 (work in progress).

The thing is farcry is only game I have really made weapons for in first person, and by looking at the way ghost recon: AW uses its weapons it seems they are very diffrent.

Unfortunitly I dont own GRAW yet, Still waiting for more multiplayer modes....

The general idea behind first person weapons thoe whether they be cosmetic (hands and weapon only) or true first person weapons (with the entire body) Is that the animations set the "iron sights" in the center of the screen. Figuring the GRIN only made 1 scope for each weapon this is probly because it does take quiet a bit more scripting and animations to make the weapons center right.

Althoe im not positive it seems this would also help game peformance but I am clueless as to actually how much. A ruff guess id say between 1-2mb of memory per weapon.

Add that up with the maximum number of people online and you could have a good bit of memory beeing used if every person trys to use a diffrent weapon / scope configuration.

just my random thoughts thus far.

Possibly the "eyepoint" for the particular scope is off centre because the location of the scope, further back or forward,left or right of centre is different on the Scar. It was never intended by the devs to be used on the Scar, maybe if it is possible to correct it for the Scar then it might not work properly on the Barrett.

If the model files are the diesel files, .dxe I think, then you can open them with a hex editor.

If you fish around in there you might find the "attachment" points for the weapons mods.

Presumably if someone figures out exactly what files depend on each other, a copy of the sniper scope and all its relevant files could be made and optimised for the Scar and then added to the mods list, mod_data file.

Yeah, I have found "scope_align" in the desel files, I think you're right about this. Nemon holds the key here...he has written a script decompiler

Yeah, I have found "scope_align" in the desel files, I think you're right about this. Nemon holds the key here...he has written a script decompiler

Excellent !

Can you post screenshots or reply with details of the "scope_align" settings please. I am at work at the moment and have internet access but I have not been able to use my own PC at home since Monday.

Thanks ...

I got the Eotech working on the SCAR!

I went into C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\data\units\weapons\u_addons.xml and changed the animation type to "combatsight". My hypothesis being that there was no "cryesight" animation for the SCARL.

I went into C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\data\units\weapons\u_addons.xml and changed the animation type to "combatsight". My hypothesis being that there was no "cryesight" animation for the SCARL.

pic! pic!

wait, does the EOTECH still work on the MR/C?

Excellent !

Can you post screenshots or reply with details of the "scope_align" settings please. I am at work at the moment and have internet access but I have not been able to use my own PC at home since Monday.

Thanks ...

I'm at work as well...:)

But I have to warn you that I was using a hex editor to look at it and although I found references to scope alignment, I don't think I can decipher how to change those settings. When I get home though, I'll take another look.

But this is why I keep saying that Nemon's script debundler might work here, then we'll be cooking with gas!

Edited by Scubaman3D

Not sure about the Crye bullpup.

I haven't had time to try it yet.

Honestly, that thing is a hunk of junk anyway. It looks cool, but is useless in the game.

I'll try and grab some screens when I get home tonight (before Lost comes on).

What key was it again for screenshots? I forget.

Not sure about the Crye bullpup.

I haven't had time to try it yet.

Honestly, that thing is a hunk of junk anyway. It looks cool, but is useless in the game.

I'll try and grab some screens when I get home tonight (before Lost comes on).

What key was it again for screenshots? I forget.

Usually "Print Screen" and then paste into a program like MS paint and save...or atleast thats how I do it...

And yes, I'll definately be watching lost as well. :)

I just did this as well. It works, but it is way inaccurate. Its way off, high - meaning if you aim at something through the EOTECH, you hit the ground before you hit target.

I'm guessing this is because its not aligned properly...

well i dont know if anyone got the SCARL L and the sniperscope to work but if somone did that i have one more way, what i did was to go in to the \Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\data\weapons\u_addons.xml and copy the lines for the sniperscope and add those lines again at the bottom of the NON-IRON SIGHTS section, after that i renamed the sniper_scope$name_ext" to "sniper_scope2$name_ext" so that add a sniperscope and then set the anim_name to combatsight insted of scopesight

the second part you have to do is to open the \Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\data\lib\managers\xml\mod_data.xml in that file copy the existing scope mod folder and change the mod_id and the unit_name, in my case it was unit_name = sniper_scope2 and mod_id = 18

I dont have a name at the scope when you select it before the mission but in the mission it works fine, no centerproblems or anything like that, i tried to get an aimpoint to the SAW, i manage to place the model at the saw but cant aim with it guess you have to do in a similar way as above but i cant find the SAW ironsight, my guess is that the ironsight of the saw is implented in the model.

sorry for the spelling, my english isnt the best but i hope you understands me