Mission #3 : VIP2 is down

I take out the convoy no problem.

I move to the rally point.

Halfway something as yet to be found blows up me or my squad if I send them in first.

there is no way around it and once I get within 200 meters things around me just start blowing up and never stop (nice unlimited ammo never reloads).

Couple this with the bugs of the day and for the first time I am ashamed that someone would put this to market.

Bug List:

Loading game with sniper rifle requires you to fire before you can use the scope. (must load saved game)

Friendly units will in follow mode promptly walk in front of your line of fire during an engagement and get shot. (I do mean like suddenly my scope is full of tan camo walk in front of)

On Normal mode tango's manning fixed machine guns can spot and hit you over 500 meters away. (Hell I can't even seem them I just see bullets cutting me down)

Occasionally friendly units will "fall" through gratings or concrete and be unusable for the rest of the mission.

Friendly's set to "cover" do not fire if a friendly unit is anywhere in front of them. (What good is cover then I wonder?)

/end rant

Any tips on why I die (more than 20 times now going every way I can find and still death) or where that SOB is so I can kill him is appreciated.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so at what point does a Machine gun nest use artillary support?

Oh and I tried that 200 meters any direction instant blown up death.

By any I mean,

Came in from the south, North, Northwest, Southwest, East, West.

I went prone and crawled and and at 198 meters... blown up in an ally with no visible tango's on any side.

Edited by InfiniteLoop

Ok so at what point does a Machine gun nest use artillary support?

Oh and I tried that 200 meters any direction instant blown up death.

By any I mean,

Came in from the south, North, Northwest, Southwest, East, West.

I went prone and crawled and and at 198 meters... blown up in an ally with no visible tango's on any side.

SPOILER ALERT

============================================

==========================================

its not an MG nest... more like a repeating GL.

from the Ambush site marker, move to the buildings towards the next waypoint. Stick to the left of the road where the next Jeep comes (I always blow this up with my GL)and sneak behind the pillars. If you peek towards the second way point and on a rooftop you'll see what looks like a MG immediately in the direction you're facing. Take a single round and fire it at him, hey presto, no more GL guy. Be careful though. .the rest of the mission pretty hard too.

How I have this information is Top Secret...

yeah that guy is pretty surgical with the GL. took me 3 or 4 times before i realized what was happening. that's one of my favorite missions though.

likewise..

Here's some low-res texture screenies for those that couldn't get what I was talking about.

glguy.jpg

glguy2.jpg

glguy3.jpg

glguy4.jpg

glguy5.jpg

Yeah thanks for the help I finally got it.

there is an easier way if you have a sniper gun.

=================================================

Spoiler

Simply line up with the semi to the right of the ambush marker. Go prone wait for the APC to go by you can, 1) shoot out the gunner. 2) Shoot the driver and 3) shoot the guy in the back. Then look up and there is the machine gun nest. It's strange he does have a fixed Machine gun he just doesn't use it.

Thanks for the help :P

The bugs how ever are still annoying anyone else have their guys just wander into their own line of fire?

--Loop

Yeah thanks for the help I finally got it.

there is an easier way if you have a sniper gun.

Spoiler

Simply line up with the semi to the right of the ambush marker. Go prone wait for the APC to go by you can, 1) shoot out the gunner. 2) Shoot the driver and 3) shoot the guy in the back. Then look up and there is the machine gun nest. It's strange he does have a fixed Machine gun he just doesn't use it.

Thanks for the help :P

The bugs how ever are still annoying anyone else have their guys just wander into their own line of fire?

--Loop

it's not a fixed machine gun, it's a grenade launcher. you'll find a few more 2 or 3 missions down the line, or rather, they'll find you ;)

I never saw that guy either... If you have low graphics you don't see him so easily. I found him because one of my bots said he spotted an enemy, so when i checked the tactical map i finally knew his position.

It was annoying, like he had a crystal ball and knew exactly where to fire those GL nades or whatever it was. Luckily i'm passed it now, and a second time i'll fly through that mission

OMG I'm at the embassy now....i have 1 teammate left and the 2 other people there, they die alot and im left trying to take out everyone and of course fail.

I'd go back a couple of checkpoints and try to keep them alive but its such a pain in the rear to get where i am that i dread doing it :wall:

oh well im sure ill get past it, if the AI weren't so god like in their hearing and vision i be on the next mission already

I played this last night in coop and thought one of the guys playing fragged us. TY for the heads up!

First time whenyou cleared the ambush point I sat there at the spot for like five minutes, after a long while I found a soldier lurking in the shadows of by where you roped in, and then after that I just died witohut nowing what hit me. After that I went all peaking around corners in paranoid mode and put one through his skulle before he fired.

Also the key to holding the embassy for me was to hide the ghost behind some building because they have braincapacity of a five year old and don´t take cover when tanks are firing at them.

So I just put two behind the embassy and one on a side street. After the first tank was destroyed I left one to hold the back, and the one on the side street providing som flanking fire and one ghost i brought into the embassy ruins. And the it was like a shooting range after that.

But, could someone tell the ghosts to not run towards mg positions and tanks!!

:stupid:

Edited by semjonov

Ouchie. On the long march SW to the rally point that RPG is a huge pain and so is the rebel APC, which I always take out with an M-203 before it gets to the main plaza. It's taken me a day and a half to beat this infernal mission, with its RPG guy, two HMG nests, multiple order updates and a final hail mary defense and extraction from the U.S. Embassy. It's thrilling but hard!

Can I be the only one that had to grit his teeth to beat #3?

No me too, dont you just hate mission modders :)

Right. I would have given my pinkie for a quicksave at various points but it felt all the more triumphant eventually to beat the mission with nothing but autosaves. It's a beautifully designed MOUT mission but tough tough tough.

Edited by Bahger

I was playing on 'hard' and enjoyed the 3rd mission, and the missions before that, thoroughly till I got to defending the embassy. This 'defending' sub-mission is easily the worst objective that I have ever played in any GR series pc game. It was tough but that was not the problem. I have almost finished mission 4 and has always been on 7th heaven playing Graw pc but this 'defending' objective brought me down to this world -- a world of scripted fps games with spawning enemies.

It basically boils down to frustrating trials and errors, it is sooo scripted and has a few bugs, like chopper not landing and hanging in the air. To top it all off, the enemies start to spawn in the middle of the map when I have destroyed all the tanks. I was getting killed from nowhere, after clearing an area. Then I turned on the enemy markers and saw the enemies spawning.

This objective also underlines the importance of the Ghosts moving to the exact spot that I ordered and staying there. Otherwise, they are killed by the tank quite often.

Among all the objectives till the 4th mission, this is the only one that cannot be finished without dieing, even if you are as tactical as possible. This objective is not true to the amazing Graw pc and I hope there are no more objectives like this one. :(

yeah, the embasy mission / deffend till extraction is damn hard

i got killed while trying to board the helo, i pressed x and bang game over

but it is a great mission just have to find the trick to get through it

im on it right now. ive been killed several times by the m1-tank at the embassy. it IS very tough and im playing on easy. (shame on me)

btw: whats the main difference between easy, normal and hard? more enemies? you cannot take as many bullets in hard as in easy,...etc?