7800GS AGP 512Mb Special Edition

Rocky

I installed my new 7800GS AGP 512Mb Special Edition card today in prep for GRAW and of course ran some benchmarks to compare it with my old card - a FX5900XT. Hopefully this info will be of interest to anyone looking at a similar upgrade.

Tomb Raider Legends : All HIGH settings (No Next Gen)

FX5900XT - 20 FPS

7800GS - 50 FPS

With the 7800 the Next Gen Graphics setting becomes available. Activated = 30FPS on some scenes, but stutters badly on other scenes. (Driver = 83.40)

CSS Stress Test

FX5900XT - 68 FPS

7800GS - 116 FPS

BF2 Test 1 : All settings on Medium 2xAA 100% Draw Distance

FX5900XT Highest - 36 FPS

FX5900XT Lowest - 21 FPS

7800GS Highest - 76FPS

7800GS Lowest - 65 FPS

BF2 Test 2 : All settings on HIGH 2xAA 100% Draw Distance

FX5900XT Highest - 18 FPS

FX5900XT Lowest - 4 FPS (unplayable)

7800GS Highest - 66 FPS

7800GS Lowest - 44 FPS

Interesting BF2 results showing that this card totally eats up high end settings for breakfast.

Need For Speed Most Wanted : All settings on HIGH

FX5900XT - 8 FPS (unplayable)

7800GS - 30 FPS (smooth)

Happy. :D

Is it true the 7800 runs cooler then the 6800 or is that not counting the 512 version?

I don't think Rocky has a 6800 to compare his 7800GS to, but from reviews I've read, yes. Try to google around for some 7 series reviews :thumbsup:

In the end, what bugs me most is the fan noise more than the actual temps.

There is a temp monitor with the bundled software, so I can tell you it is running at GPU 46 degress celcius at the moment (that's desktop stuff no gaming today so far).

Also, the fan on this is way quiter than the FX5950XT I had in previously, in fact the case is so quiet now I am tempted to open it up and see about replacing one of the other fans to get it very VERY quiet.

There is a temp monitor with the bundled software, so I can tell you it is running at GPU 46 degress celcius at the moment (that's desktop stuff no gaming today so far).

Also, the fan on this is way quiter than the FX5950XT I had in previously, in fact the case is so quiet now I am tempted to open it up and see about replacing one of the other fans to get it very VERY quiet.

Wow, my 6800 is in the 50s! Sounds like a great card.

Have you seen this thing? It's blinking huge, it has a massive fan assembly on the underside plus what looks to me like a copper heatsink.

Here it is...

bb2006032800012.jpg

Edited by Rocky

Wow, nice upgrade Rocky, Its such a great feeling when you can finally run all your games in high!

My 6800 Ultra PCI-e runs at 40 degrees in the middle of COD2 :o=

Wow, nice upgrade Rocky, Its such a great feeling when you  can finally run all your games in high!

My 6800 Ultra PCI-e runs at 40 degrees in the middle of COD2 :o=

Should I be worried??? My card is running higher then yours. It is within an appropraite range I believe though.

Edited by EasyCo

Should I be worried??? My card is running higher then yours. It is within an appropraite range I believe though.

EasyCo - I can say that at least for CPUs, overclockers can tolerate up to high 60's Celsius.

If you are concerned about the temps (or in my case - more fan noise), best thing is to add an extra case fan.

You could also consider replacing the heatsink/fan on your GPU, but that's more for enthusiasts that don't mind risking destroying their card/nulling warranty ;)

I have to withdraw my remarks about Tomb Raider Legend - even with the new beta drivers, with Next Gen on several scenes stutter quite badly.

On a brighter note, I am actually in two minds about whether or not I liked the next gen effects. Some of the lighting was nice and there was some nice details that made the scenes very real, but it was also a bit darker and not as crisp as without the next gen setting.

Anyway, don't say I didn't warn ya <_<