Producer tour in The Netherlands

All sounds very good!

Having the option to download maps (or entire mods?) from the gameserver @ jointime I think is really nice. Thats one thing that I always loved about starcraft, you never had to leave the game to try to find a map, only to come back to find that the server was already onto a new one. Happens all the time in Far Cry.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

psh. I totally disagree with this statement. I think having in game voip would've been a huge advantage and think the exclusion of it is a down-side. For this type of game especially, voip is great for organizing and strategizing with a team that you wouldn't normally have contact with. it's fine if you are always going to play with the same people on your ts or vent, but it now takes away the option to coordinate with complete strangers who aren't going to jump on some random ts server, or possibly don't have the programs. or more than that there is no server to use.

I feel that this is a con in the game development, not a pro

I would rather not have some 14 year old pop on our server and play the latest rapsong or scream louldy when i am trying to play... it also makes for a pain becaue i would have to stop playing and boot him.

My hats are off to GRIN... from that report i am very pleased with GRAW as we play MP.

and here i just went and got a new girlfriend too. should i dump her now or wait and let her live life as a girlfriend of a gamer? She'll leave soon after i'm sure  :devil:

Better be careful or I will steal her from ya. :FIREdevil:

you might have a chance WK now that you got your hair cut. my baby has got a serious disdain for hippies :P

and here i just went and got a new girlfriend too. should i dump her now or wait and let her live life as a girlfriend of a gamer? She'll leave soon after i'm sure  :devil:

Better be careful or I will steal her from ya. :FIREdevil:

you might have a chance WK now that you got your hair cut. my baby has got a serious disdain for hippies :P

You guys are making me jealous, just broke up with my girlfriend today, heres a tip ladies, don't ever try to make your man quit a job he loves, ain't gonna work. :rocky:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I never played GR1 MP, only SP, so my question is are there respawn's with Team vs. Team matches? I think respawing ruined Rainbow Six Lockdown's MP... so I'm curious whether your done for the match when you die, or if you can respawn after a short time.

Im glad theres not voip. It can be useful but more times its a nuissance.  ITs a voice program thats out of your control. WHile I play graw on the 360,  if Im not playing with ppl I know I turn the volume all the way down cuz theres either barry white who wont ######, or some 12 yr old who keeps asking, " can anyone hear me" with his adorable mickey mouse voice.  ALot of teams may advertise upon joining

(thru server name or description) their choice of voice program( ts, vent, rw)  with their ip and channel for fun games, so the average gamer can join if he pleases.

Thank you. You saved me from typing all those words... :thumbsup:

Bo and all GRINs,

...this is going to be one long month.

You said it...

I am ticking off the days on my calander!

I have pre-ordered already on Play.com (UK) and will be booking a few days off work to co-incide with th release!

NO other game has ever had me this excited about it's release.

...THERE ARE GOING TO BE A LOT OF UNHAPPY GIRLFRIENDS/WIVES OUT THERE COME 5th MAY!!!

:)

Edited by mcbeaty

Ok…so I take it the MP stuff is out of the bag now and devs can answer some questions?

I’m a little confused as to why every other preview had nothing to do with multiplayer and this place seems to have gotten some of info we have been trying to get. For that reason I would like to see some clarification on this from Bo or someone.

If a separate dedicated server will be available during launch is unsure, it might be developed and released later.

So there will not be a true dedicated server on release? If not, I am worried about the “might be developed and released later†part. This is a MUST HAVE for multiplayer to be a robust and successful community around this game.

You can start a server from within the game, where you’ll find the option to host a dedicated or listen server…When you run a dedicated server you’ll need a computer comparable with a computer you need to run the game, with the exception that a server doesn’t need a high end video card…

So GR:AW will be like Lockdown, in that it WILL NEED A VIDEO CARD of some kind to run the dedicated server?

GRAW will be using Gamespy for its internal server browser, and you don’t have to memorize IP addresses, because a favorite server save option is provided.]

Will there be an option to join by IP?

The server will be managed using the internal game menu, and there is at this moment no intention to create a remote console option.

I’m not sure what this means. Will there be console commands for admin to manage the server on the fly?

Something which was previously not possible is possible now: joining a running game.

I know it said this can be turned off. But how does this work in conjunction with respawns? For example, can someone leave the game after they die and re-join the server and thus rejoin the game if this is turned on but respawns are turned off?

Bo wanted to stress that GRIN will keep listening to the community after the release and that features might get added or changed based on the response.

I can already tell you what kind of response there will be if there is no true dedicated server on release and if we need video cards to host a ‘dedicated server’. This is the thing that worries me the most and I would like to know that there are already plans to develop and release a true dedicated server if one isn’t included on release, not that there “might†be one.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide on these points. It is much appreciated. :)

BTW:

Did Bo ever mention if controllers (for example PS2, Logitech etc.) will be supported in GRAW? :unsure: Don't get me wrong, I still prefer to play with my mouse & keyboard (I'm a 100% PC gamer) but I'm sure there are others who would like to use their controller or even this Track IR device.

Speaking about that Track IR headtracker thing - I heard it only controls the camera inside the supported games, but wouldn't GRAW in that case be a lot harder to control then if GRIN would add this feature to the game after the release? In my opinion it would be different if only the camera would be controlled by Track IR and the mouse would still be used to control the weapon.

What do you think about this (got a few PT's from members at the official forums regarding that thing and studied a few websites related to that) or do you even have some experience with this Track IR stuff? Would it make sense to you to add such a (optional) feature some day after the release or would you consider something like that as pointless for GRAW? :)

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

The server will be managed using the internal game menu, and there is at this moment no intention to create a remote console option.

A litte concerning... If you rent a server (because of BW needs) how are you going to quickly manage/admin games?

RD, RAdmin, VNC can be slow. An option to be able to admin in game without having to ALT+TAB out (which usually ends up locking up game) is definately needed for MP.

Just my 2cents... ;)

A litte concerning... If you rent a server (because of BW needs) how are you going to quickly manage/admin games?

RD, RAdmin, VNC can be slow. An option to be able to admin in game without having to ALT+TAB out (which usually ends up locking up game) is definately needed for MP.

Just my 2cents... ;)

I seen in a preview that (i think it was Bo) stated that game settings would be stored in XML files. I'm not sure if this also includes server settings. If so, creating a front-end admin interface would be peanuts :rolleyes:

If you rent a server (because of BW needs) how are you going to quickly manage/admin games?

I seen in a preview that (i think it was Bo) stated that game settings would be stored in XML files. I'm not sure if this also includes server settings. If so, creating a front-end admin interface would be peanuts :rolleyes:

I think an additional point is doing admin of things beyond the "game settings" -- like "punt annoying player from game". :o=

I'd hate to have to terminal-serve into a remote system just to kick out a PITA player.

Knobee

Features which might get added in a patch, but which are not included in 1.0 are demo recording and ingame content download, so you’ll be able to join any server, even if you don’t have that map.

Source: http://www.graw.nl/community/features/1794/

Sorry for my ignorance but I really don't understand the above paragraph. :dunce: I want to as excited as everyone else.... :thumbsup:

Just need some clarification...... :hmm:

Thanks all,

Fresh

Edited by Freshmixture

Sorry for my ignorance but I really don't understand the above paragraph.  :dunce: I want to as excited as everyone else.... :thumbsup: 

Just need some clarification...... :hmm:

Thanks all,

Demorecording is prolly replays (like the replays in GR1) which will be added later in a patch according to that source. I realy hope they will add this! :fingersx:

Ingame content download means that you can join a multiplayer server where they run a map that you don't have (eg. custom made multiplayer map). When you join that server you will auto-download that map so you will be able to play on that server anyway.

Demorecording is prolly replays (like the replays in GR1) which will be added later in a patch according to that source. I realy hope they will add this! :fingersx:

Ingame content download means that you can join a multiplayer server where they run a map that you don't have (eg. custom made multiplayer map). When you join that server you will auto-download that map so you will be able to play on that server anyway.

Ah, I see....thank you. As for the ingame content download, I believe RB6 Raven-Shield had this feature, right?

Fresh

How does this work in general for games that do this? If I join a GR:AW server that is running a mission/map/mod that I don't have, will my PC just begin downloading just like that? What if I didn't want to download the file(s) or I just want to leave and forget about playing on that server?

I'm just curious how this is handled.

silent_op

Usually, it doesn't begin downloading the file until you need it. For example, if there's a map on the server that you don't have, you won't download it until that map comes up in the rotation. Also, the download is usually accompanied by a progress bar that includes a cancel button. If you cancel, then you are disconnected from the sever.

One thing I am not clear on...

Will there be an in-game console to change things on the go..such as reticule size/color, netcode tweaking etc?? If I remember correct, something was mentioned to the effect that "all xml can be changed in-game" does this mean via console or preference settings? anybody?

It is not known at this time if GRAW will ship with dedi files or not, but GRIN developed their own anti-cheat. Sounds better than Punkbuster if ya ask me.

That's the problem. That's why I won't preorder. No idea if dedicated server files will be there or not, or any idea if their anti-cheat will be anything at all.

They are really blowing it by not saying dedicated server files will be available, and their anti-cheat will be better that PB.

I am holding my money. Lockdown ripped $50 out of my pocket..

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.