Should i get a second video card?

GDD_Viper

Im not a computer specs person, so i need some advice.

Heres what i have:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor

3000+

1.81GHz

1.00 GB of RAM

Geforce 6600 GT

An Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard

So i think i have an above average computer. I did the big upgrade last june, and decided to get a 6600 because i knew i wouldnt be able to afford 2 top of the line (back then) cards. Cant remember what the newest one was..

I run most of my stuff on high, but i turn a couple things like shadows to medium. BF2 runs well, but i have lag issues so i cant tell if any of my issues with that game is my computer or if its always my connection problem.

My main question is, would the upgrade be worth getting a second Geforce 6600 GT for my SLI motherboard? I think its around 200 bucks which might be kind of steep, seeing as a PS3 is going to cost an arm and a leg, but i just want to check if its worth it. I cant really do any big upgrades so its probably either buy another 6600 or leave it as is and stick to my system of doing a big upgrade, waiting 4 years, then doing a big upgrade, etc.

Thanks.

I highly recommend the 7600GT! Not only its easielly twice as fast as the 6600GT (Its faster than a 6800Ultra!), but its dirt cheap too! The best performance/price card hands down right now. If you sell your 6600GT well, you have to invest around $100 or so, for quite an impressive upgrade.

Edited by agentkay

Thanks for the quick responses.

I highly recommend the 7600GT!  Not only its easielly twice as fast as the 6600GT (Its faster than a 6800Ultra!), but its dirt cheap too!  The best performance/price card hands down right now.  If you sell your 6600GT well, you have to invest around $100 or so, for quite an impressive upgrade.

would i sell it on ebay? Havent really done it before but i guess i could give it a try.

Or do random stores like PC Club buy them?

I also have a 6600gt, but am just going to try things (demo) before i decide any thing,upgrade if neccesary, maybe to SLI, maybe another card, remember, this game, with mods , will 'live'some years, so there's no real hurry. :thumbsup:

Edited by Minister

Goto tomshardware dot com and check out the vga charts(they can be tricky to find). Getting an SLI on the lower end card might be slightly cheaper then getting a single higher end one, but not much better in performance if at all.

VGA 2005 december charts

My opinion, spend a little extra and get one really good 7900 like someone already suggested. I'm not sold on SLI myself, too expensive to really see the gains, and for lower end cards, not really worth it. I think the main advantage of SLI is you can run high res better, like 1600x1200. As you compare lower resolutions, you don't see much performance difference. Least from what I can remember.

Edited by Brettzies

SLI makes most sense if you have the money to buy 2 cards at once, and they should be at least in the "mid-highend" category. This is necessary due to the fact that new cards are coming out every 6 months and they are almost always twice as fast as the "old" cards.

The 7900GT is an awesome card too (crazy overclocker too), but it costs around $300. Obviously it kicks the 7600GT ass performance-wise, especially if you use a lot of AA/AF. :)

Edited by agentkay

Common sense would tell you, that when this game is released. It would be in your best interest to wait until the hardware guys put the game to the test.

It's easy to pack your computer full of things you'd hope would solve performance gains.

It's hard to fatham the idea of your hard earned money wasted on what you didn't need.

The video card war is beggining to get old. Who can really tell the difference between the two cards on paper? Each hardware reviewer has their own views on performance and you can go to ten different sites and get conflicting reports.

Leaving you to come in here and ask unproffessionals the mere questions that we also have.

Ageia to me will utilize and allow more performance in the long run.

I can't see spending 300-500 again on a video card. (ati 800xl)

After awhile you'd have to ask, why do these companies keep stringing us along year by year.

I'm sure most of you can agree that if they would make one card that only needed to have drivers once in awhile we'd all feel more comfortable about spending our hard earned cash.....But that would only happen in a perfect world.

viper, whats with the 1.81 ghz?

that cant be right...u wanna check that.

as far as video cards, dont believe the hype about all the new cards. 6600gt will run this game sweetly, Im sure of that.

definitely recommend a ram upgrade for a 64, it demands a lot of memory - 2 gigs for a 64.

also consider overclocking the card if u havent already. have u oc'ed it?

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd

Viper look into overclocking your cpu.

Apparently, its perfect for it, and can be pushed to 2300+ mhz.

overclocking 3000

do a search around to find other sites, but i would cosnider milking the processor more, and increasing ram, b4 u spalsh out on a card that prolly wont make a lot of noticeable difference compared to a cpu tweak.

my two cents, i do not guarantee oc'ing wont kill your system...lol. but i would have a go.

viper, whats with the 1.81 ghz?

that cant be right...u wanna check that.

as far as video cards, dont believe the hype about all the new cards.  6600gt will run this game sweetly, Im sure of that.

definitely recommend a ram upgrade for a 64, it demands a lot of memory - 2 gigs for a 64.

also consider overclocking the card if u havent already.  have u oc'ed it?

Uh, why would a 64bit processor require more memory? :blink:

Anyway, yeah at this point there isnt too much sense in buying another 6600GT.

Really it all comes down to resolution. I love my tiny monitor (everything is right there no.....?), so I can only run at 1024x768. With my 6800GS I am counting on being able to run on "highish" settings.

Remember that resolution is multiplication, so make the screen a little bigger and you have a lot more pixels to render. If your running at 800x600 then your video card is probably good for some pretty high settings. Otherwise I would recomend looking into a 7600GT (absolutely the best performance per dollar of all the gaming range cards out there), but if you have a little extra cash the 7900GT isnt all that much more.

I highely recomend NewEgg as a source of computer hardware, they have prices that will beat any local store, and their customer service is nothing short of awesome.

I highly recommend the 7600GT!  Not only its easielly twice as fast as the 6600GT (Its faster than a 6800Ultra!), but its dirt cheap too!  The best performance/price card hands down right now.  If you sell your 6600GT well, you have to invest around $100 or so, for quite an impressive upgrade.

Does the 7600GT have an AGP version and what is the price like ?

I havent been able to find anything on one. I would also like to have one for my wifes computer. The fastest AGP you can buy is a 7800GS after rebate you can get one for about $270 US. I`ll wait untill prices come down abit before I get one. This will be the last upgrade I do on her computer. I`ll change her over to PCI-E after that as well.

I havent been able to find anything on one. I would also like to have one for my wifes computer. The fastest AGP you can buy is a 7800GS after rebate you can get one for about $270 US. I`ll wait untill prices come down abit before I get one. This will be the last upgrade I do on her computer. I`ll change her over to PCI-E after that as well.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Does the 7600GT have an AGP version and what is the price like ?

No AGP version for the 7600GT yet, but there might come one after they sell out the 7800GS (on AGP). Gainward released a limited edition 7800GS on AGP that actually powers a real 7800GT (20 pipelines) core, but at that price point they wanted to have for that card, its really not worth it.

No AGP version for the 7600GT yet, but there might come one after they sell out the 7800GS (on AGP).  Gainward released a limited edition 7800GS on AGP that actually powers a real 7800GT (20 pipelines) core, but at that price point they wanted to have for that card, its really not worth it.

Thanks. :)

Left for a little while and the thread exploded,lol. Thanks alot for the advice.

As for my 1.81GHz, i really dont know anything about computers. A friend built the system for me. I just copied exactly what was listed in my computer>right click>properties.

Iv never tried oc'ing because i dont personally know enough to try it out, plus i saw a video where the dude shot his fan through a table er something,lol (or at least the whole motherboard broke). But i could give my friend a call and see what he could do.

My monitor is actually an awesome one, by my standards. I had a 15" old ass one that was heavier than a tower, but that one broke down perfectly around my birthday and i got a lot of help to pay for a 19" LCD samsung. But i still run my games at 1024x768 because i can run most things on high on COD2, but it struggled at its designed 1280x1024.

You guys are right about the video cards though. Gets really annoying that like only a few months after i got the 6600 (second newest card at the time), it was outdated by ANOTHER new 500 buck card.

Guess ill just wait for the demo/game and see how it is. Was just anxious,lol.

Edited by GDD_Viper

You guys are right about the video cards though. Gets really annoying that like only a few months after i got the 6600 (second newest card at the time), it was outdated by ANOTHER new 500 buck card.

What sucks even more is when your card is outdated by a CHEAPER card 6 months later. ;)

Iv never tried oc'ing because i dont personally know enough to try it out, plus i saw a video where the dude shot his fan through a table er something,lol (or at least the whole motherboard broke

LMFAO.....that was the point, to fry the chip lol. dont let that scare ya off. :D

Im nervous too....I built my pc for gr2 and now its a great gaming pc but there is better....my card is a ASUS V9999/GT 256( 6800GT) runs great....hopefully it will run graw decently cuz Im not gonna upgrade again for a lil bit. <_<

GL upgrading your system bud.

If your looking to overclock graphics download a program called PowerStrip. Its really very easy to use, is very compatible.

You just take a little slider, and turn up the speed. If you do decide to try it get some sort of benchmark (I used 3dmark 06, though it can be as simple as watching the fps in a game). With my 6800GS I just turned the clock speed up in 15mhz increments, and the memory speed up in increments of 30mhz, then ran the benchmark, checked the temperature, and did it again.

I got it overclocked about 20% before I decided to stop. The temperature actually stayed pretty reasonable, only went up about 4C.

Well the 6600 serious has never been a high end card just so you know so you cant complain about being smashed by a $500 card.

The recommendation on nvidia cards is probably buy an 7900gt version with fast memory because they overcock like a madman. I seeen people go something like 700/2000 when increasing the voltage, it is so bloody insane I am actually thinking about selling of my new 7800gt....it is insanely fast when overclocked. Most people don´t get 700/2000 but 600+ on core and 1600 on memory is not unusual.