Ghost Recon.net Forums
cobaka

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP

Apple has released software that lets users run Microsoft's operating system on its computers that use Intel chips.

Called Boot Camp the program lets Mac owners run both Apple's OSX and Microsoft's Windows XP.

A trial version of the software is now available so users can install it. Future versions of Apple's OSX software will include the program.

The release follows efforts by hackers to get Windows XP booting up on Macs that use Intel chips.

continued

Apple makes Macs run Windows XPcontinued

:o:o

Seriously makes me consider getting a Mac for my next system - they have awesome hardware. Some of the best industrial design around. Main thing holding me back is less choice of software and having to wait an extra year to play the latest games :P

That is exactly why they did this. increase market share. and it's working! :D

I can't wait to ditch generic PC hardware and move only to mac. I love my iBook. Imagine a powerful 17" apple powerbook running GRAW! beatiful. Infact, the current MacBook Pro's would play GRAW i think. I think I'll wait 3/4 years before moving to onyl mac hardware though. :)

DISCLAIMER: i'm an apple fan through and through. my oppinions may contain bias. :whistle:

Isn't this basically just a boot loader?

Pretty much. It basically emulates a BIOS, since the Apple Intel hardware uses EFI to boot from.

The big news here isn't that the software exists, but that it's officially supported by Apple. True dual booting of XP and OSX.

Mind you, Apple is not far away from an in-OSX emulation layer that would allow Windows-native apps to run inside OSX. No dual booting, just install your Win apps and run them from your Mac desktop.

Isn't this basically just a boot loader?

The big news here isn't that the software exists, but that it's officially supported by Apple. True dual booting of XP and OSX.

So is it only on Intel Processors? What happens if you have an AMD based PC can you still install OSX?

Just curious

What happens if you have an AMD based PC Can you still install OSX?

Irrelevant, as Apple doesn't sell AMD systems.

This software allows you to purchase one of the new, Intel-based Macs (as opposed to the PowerPC Macs that have been the standard for years), and be able to install XP on it. You can't build your own Apple computer, so using an AMD processor doesn't enter into it.

But you CAN run the OSX OS on a AMD PC. OSX for intel was meant to run on x86 cpu's.

Edited by Papa6

Mind you, Apple is not far away from an in-OSX emulation layer that would allow Windows-native apps to run inside OSX. No dual booting, just install your Win apps and run them from your Mac desktop.

LOL. Emulation doesn't sound like a good idea. I remember the headaches of running OS 9 apps in classic mode in OS X. That was a chore. I think they've got a good idea here though, by making windows apps available on OS X they could gain a huge potential audience. When people get mad at all the issues with XP (and Vista?)... they might just switch.

I still don't like Apple or OS X but I think their strategy is sound. ;)

But you CAN run the OSX OS on a AMD PC. OSX for intel was meant to run on x86 cpu's.

you got any link as to how to build an AMD PC with OSX?

edit: found this link to a AMD64OSX video discussion.

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

With this release by Apple it puts running Windows on an Mactel into a different league. Before this boot loader was released by Apple, the process to get Windows working on a Mactel was a really ugly hack. It was very dodgy.

We should see massive gains in the functionality of Windows on Mactels in the near future. This is the first step.

-EDIT-

Apples' sollution gives Windows full accelerated graphics support on mac! :D (the hack didn't)

Go here for a great article on acutally installing and using windows using boot camp.

Edited by JTF-2

Great news, I'm now considering buying an apple in a few years, I'm sick with the computers that I've been using and wouldn't mind trying out some of their software. :D

My friend at work got Windows running on his Mac Mini. Runs very smooth, and has tempted me to get one for email/intermaweb surfing etc. There is already a few direct comparisons between Windows and OS X springing up and it looks as though the Mac is taking care of business pretty well.

You guys thinking of trying out apple hardware/software won't be disapointed. Just remember when learning OS X to keep and open mind.

I'm living in Residence at university. All the kids with Windows laptops are constantly cursing and taking them into the shop. After a while, the run slower, crash more. But, you guys have probably heard all that before.

what kind of video cards macs use?

The MacBook Pros' use an ATI x1600 i think with 265mb RAM. It's probably the "mobile" version though. They use dual-core chips at 1.8ghz, 2.0ghz, and 2.?ghz. If i've remembered all that right, that's a little better than the min specs for GRAW. :devil:

As a fanatic mac user, but missing the ability to run games, testing websites, this is such good news.

If i only had the money for a new intel mac tho...

As a fanatic mac user, but missing the ability to run games, testing websites, this is such good news.

If i only had the money for a new intel mac tho...

that's probably a good thing for now. While you're saving up for a new Mac, they'll be working all the kinks out of them. By the time you've got enough, they'll be super-stable and reliable like any other mac. :)

The perfect computer? :yes::D