Help Choosing Parts. which 939 mobo?

JTF-2

Building a PC is very simple. I was very afraid of it at first, but I decided to do it anyways, and i am very glad i did. Check out the wanna build a pc thread thats pinned.

:yes: Save money and have a lot of fun doing it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge amounts of money, it is really easy, I put one together (first one ever), in 5 hours, that is open box to browsing the net. Really cheap to, I built a 7900 GTX, X2 4200+, 2 Gig, 19 in LCD, 7.1 Surround sound and card, and the periphereals for 1800$.

Another thing, after I got done, I had a tremendous feeling of accomplishment, like I had done something with my night.

Element, Kam, and KRP: Well if that ain't a recomendation I don't what is. :) thanks guys.

I was considering building it myself. I did have a look at that thread. I'm going to ask how much they'll charge to build it up. How long did it take each of you to build your first PC?

It's kinda like Lego right? :rolleyes:

As I said took me like 5 hours, and about 1.5 hours of that was installing windows. With my case and mobo, everything is color coded and has directions, I was amazed out how easy it was. I spent a majority of time getting wiring under control.

And the PC building thread is very helpful, some of the links are great.

The biggest thing is make sure you have everything, I almost forgot to buy a DVD-ROM, sounds simple, but I was so engrossed with which vid card, which CPU and all that that I almost forgot something as basic as something to put discs in.

Legos are approprate, except for these legos cost hundreds of dollars.

Edited by Kamakazi

JTF-2, not sure if you can get this MaximumPC magazine on building your own pc. It was just released so it may still be at your local bookstore or grocery isle.

What I appreciate about this mag, is they got pictures. :)

When me and my 6-month old chimpanzee was making my first build, I gave up on the text and motherboard manual.

Then I saw the magazine had a photo-tutorial on how to build a PC (SLI nevertheless), I said this HAS TO BE the easier way.

So I followed each picture, step-by-step. I had some snag along the way. Thats when I got on-line here at GR.NET and ask questions. By the time, I got a response (and filtering the insults :rofl: ), my 6-month old chimp was already laying down a paper-thin layer of ArticSilver, using my debit card. <_<

So I watch the monkey go back and forth comparing the picture on the magazine and looking at the part, front and back. He kept on doing it on the promise I will give him a banana shake from Jumba Juice.

1 banana shake and 2 diapers later my pc was assembled and ready to load the OS.

So the morale on the story here is: if my 6-moth old chimpanzee can do it, YOU CAN DO IT. :thumbsup:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

image0015za.th.jpg

Disclaimer: no animals was ever hurt nor tortured during the assembly. Said monkey is actually a persona of this poster to help build a confidence to JTF-2, who is about to lost his virginity to PC-building. :whistle:

:rofl: ok, that's not so bad. 5 hours is ok. Is that five chimp hours or human hours?

i'm sold. i'll build it. My dad was all for it 'cause it's cheaper. It'll take me a couple weeks to get all the parts/money, but i'll keep you guys posted. I'm sure i'll be back for help. "What do you do if your motherbaord is smoking more than your ex?"

If I can't find my chimp I can always get the thousand monkeys away from their thousand typewriters (they help with my research papers at uni).

It was the pc stores i went to yesterday that really convinced me to make it myself. The dudes were so unhelpful, they didn't know what stuff was. I asked one of the guys about a motherboard for a Crossfire system and I got the blankest stare. He then proceded to show me a bunch of NVIDIA motherboards even after I told him i need ATI. If they can build it, so can I.

/i'm saving that picture

Element, Kam, and KRP: Well if that ain't a recomendation I don't what is. :) thanks guys.

I was considering building it myself. I did have a look at that thread. I'm going to ask how much they'll charge to build it up. How long did it take each of you to build your first PC?

It's kinda like Lego right? :rolleyes:

I didn't really keep track of the hours I worked on it but it was all done in one day and it seem's like I spent more time tie wrapping the wires up real neat than I did putting the parts together. Everything went well on boot up and installation of O.S. :yes: It was a lot of fun but I must admit it was also stressful because I've never built a PC before and was worried I might mess something up. :o Go for it and if your not sure about something we'll be here to help out. :thumbsup:

Hello JTF,

No -one has done the words of warning bit (so here goes):

1. All circuit boards (but for some reason this especially applies to expensive ones) are suckers for static electricity.

Walk across a carpet in your socks then touch your mobo and its goodnight nurse!

Before you touch any part of your PC always touch an earth source (a radiator, the metal case of a plugged in electrical appliance) which will discharge the static electricity in your body.

2. CPU's don't like heat.

Always apply heat sink compound to the part of the cpu that touches the heatsink.

3. Be tidy with your wiring.

Make sure that all the cables are kept away from the mobo where possible and spare PSU plugs cannot accidentally touch any circuit boards (put a bit of insulation tape over the ends maybe) spare plugs are still live.

4. Lastly read and re-read the instructions for the power supply (psu) you can plug the wrong connector in the wrong place and this will definetely damage something or other.

Sorry to add a post that's a downer but you really do have to be careful.

Having said that PC's are fun to build (I'd never buy a constructed PC again) and I definetely would recommend it but don't rush the process.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips. very usefull. I was wondering about the static, but you got to it before i asked.

thanks guys.

you could always do it on a hardwood floor in the nude... :whistle: ...in winter nevertheless. :rofl:

Seriously, there are wrist static card that ranges from $2-25. I got one for $4, b'coz I lost the $2 rebate. Ever since I got it, I never touched the innards of my pc without it.

....plus I still work on a hardwood floor...not in the nude.....anymore.....and no more laying the motherboard on a static-guard (plastic cover that the motherboard came from) on top of a pillow.... :whistle:

Murphy's law: don't close your case cover. That's when sh......stuff happens.

I tidy up my cables after a few weeks of benchmarking and testing.

Just some of my experiences:(so you won't make the same mistake)

switching cards from nVidia/ATI

Warning on your choice of PowerSupply

One of my many wishlist, see the prices then?

My monkey-built SLI: READ THE ADVICES

another wishlist and advices I should have listened to

Power Supply Discussion

My mistake about static: read the advice and education about static, good read

Good advice on Revision 1 motherboards

HAF: stories/recommendations/solutions...specially about that noisy northbridge fan

Zalman solution

asus premium solution using Crisao23 tutorial

:lol: nice! man, gr.net is great. That's more than enough reading to keep me busy 'till I can amass all the parts. I found a good page on the Arctic Silver site that tells you (with pictures) how to apply thermal paste. :thumbsup:

-EDIT- sound card question: Is it worth getting a cheap soundcard? Such as a Sound Blaster 4? it's about 50 bucks but would it better than the sound on my Asus A8R32-MVP motherboard?

Edited by JTF-2

I wondered about the soundcard also when I built my rig, I ended up going with an Audigy 2 7.1 card, not only because it is 7,1 and not 5.1 but also because if you buy some creative you get lots of nifty programs and such that let you customize the audio, I dont know if this is true with onboard stuff or with other manufacturers. Creative is a name I trust when it comes to soundcards.

Hello JTF,

No -one has done the words of warning bit (so here goes):

1. All circuit boards (but for some reason this especially applies to expensive ones) are suckers for static electricity.

2. CPU's don't like heat.

Always apply heat sink compound to the part of the cpu that touches the heatsink.

Just a couple things i'd like to add.

1. Easiest way is to touch the inside of your PC case. Also, dont set your parts on a towel or carpet, and especially dont put them on the anti static bags they came in. Best to use a wood table.

2. most cpu fans come with a rubber "heatpad", or sometimes with the heatsink compound already applied, on the bottom of the heatsink, in which case you dont need heatsink compound, and you can just put the heatsink on without worrying about it. Word of warning: DO NOT touch this heatpad with your fingers. You will smear it, and then youll have to scrape it off and use heatsink compound.

-EDIT- sound card question: Is it worth getting a cheap soundcard? Such as a Sound Blaster 4? it's about 50 bucks but would it better than the sound on my Asus A8R32-MVP motherboard?

See if you like the onboard sound first. I myself dont like onboard anything, but its all what you like. I ahd problems with bf1942, and age of empires 3 sound with my onboard chip, so i got a soundblaster audigy (good card) for 50 cad.

Creative is a name I trust when it comes to soundcards.

As long as you dont trust their MP3 players. :|

Edited by element11

NO! You can find Audigy 2 cards cheap. On my build I got an Audigy 2 ZS for $60 plus it had RVS and Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness with it.

Seems like there's lots of places to go wrong here... I'll be so paranoid, i'll have no choice but to be careful :blink: Thanks though guys, always best to learn from the mistakes of others. :thumbsup:

I'd like a soundcard 'cause i've never had one before. I've always missed out on EAX, THX and all that.

Here are my options:

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZA OEM ---------- $75 CDN

Sound Blaster Audigy 4SE ------------------- $53

Sound Blaster Audigy SE --------------------- $34

or maybe,

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic ---------- $136 (!!)

Everybody knocks their MP3 players, I have had a Creative Zen Touch for coming up on a year and have absolutely zero problems with it.

On subject, I went with an Audigy 2 and am immensely pleased with it.

the A8R MVP doesn't support Crossfire with the x1800 or x1900. You need the 3200 chipset, like you said.

I actually had another look at that motherboard, the 32 version, and I think i'll spring for it. It seems worth the extra cash. Thanks for the tip.

As for Soundcard, I think if i've got enough cash left, I'll go with the Audigy 2 ZA.

Edited by JTF-2

Everybody knocks their MP3 players, I have had a Creative Zen Touch for coming up on a year and have absolutely zero problems with it.

On subject, I went with an Audigy 2 and am immensely pleased with it.

Since it is off topic, i wont go into how i had 3 zen micros in a month and a half. All 3 broke. Then i gave up. :blink:

If you havent gone and bought the parts already, I read somewhere that both AMD and Intel may be cutting their CPU costs up to 50% very soon, so you might want to let it simmer for a month and save a bit of change.

Zen Micros, I dont know, but I love my Touch, big player but 20Gig, and just so cool.

well. I've been waiting so long and i've already saved up all the cash i'll need. I've found a really sweet deal on a 3700+. Thanks for trying to knock some sense into me, but i'm affriad i'm too far gone. :wacko:

Understanable, when I got the money for mine, I just got it, even with the new socket coming out and all, figured it was better to build now, then at the end of the939 era pick up a cheap FX-60.

I've been too far gone for awhile, I think the main problem with building your own computer is that, at least I, since I know what is in it, its compatibilities, and what it needs to make it better, and I know that i can put the stuff in it if I ever buy the stuff to make it better, I want to buy that stuff now, it hurts me that i can't but that second 7900 GTX to go SLI, and that second 2 Gig of RAM.

I DID IT. IT'S DONE! :D

I got the parts. Here's list of what I settled on:

Athlon 3700+

Asus A8R32-MVP

ATI saphire x1900xt 512mb (should arrive on tuesday)

2gb of pc3200 RAM

Audigy 2 ZS

Thermaltake 550W ps.

Silverstone TJ04 case

Also, I got two 160 gig hard drives. I want to put them into a RAID configuration. Striped I think. But i've got no idea how to do it. I know my motherboard supports it. Anybody got any tips/how to's?

It's pretty much my dream pc. I couldn't have wished for anything better. I've never had a high-end PC before, so this is pretty darn sweet.

@Kamakazi: tell me about it. It is sad to think that in a few months this pc will be middle of the road. Meh, it's just one of those facts of life.

Thanks to all you guys who helped me go from technotard to pc-literate. :thumbsup:

this mobo's BIOS keeps popping up on the forums that I've read.

someone suggest go to: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupp...SLanguage=en-us

File needed for download: A8R32-MVP Deluxe BIOS Version 0404

maybe something to read.

Good luck and post some building guide. We might learn something new from you. :thumbsup: