Netcode

First off, cheers to the Dev team for giving us information, and Ghostrecon.net for keeping all the flaming nubs out.

I was hoping to get a little information about the netcode. GR1 netcode was pretty good. I'm Aussie and I like playing in US servers. In RvS it wasn't really possible to have GGs overseas. So ...

How good is the netcode? Is every bullet accounted for? Can I shoot at yanks in this game?

Secondly, one of the best parts about GR1 was the end of round conversations. It was easy to communicate and it was sociable and everyone said ggs. My clan and I had some fun times in the old 13thEA server. Is the ingame lobby similar to the old one, and if not can you spend the next month making it like it please?

I can't wait to get my old mates together and go to war again. I'll send those naked pics of myself to thank you very soon. :yes: Cheers Devs!!

You would think it logical that as technology and bandwidth progresses the net code in all games would also improve.

There are games that are released these days that have worse net code than some games released 5 years ago. So it's a natural concern for us all. It's not a given that a game will have great net code.

I mean, look at Rome: Total war. it only has 2 players usually but it's got the worst net code. It connects through game spy and the gs con drops more than 50% of the time while you are playing though you can still play. If the gs con drops while it's loading up the game won't start.

Edited by Poita

GR1 netcode:

- Warping around the corner

- Lagdancing (and not get hit)

- Really poor in showing what other people do EXACTLY

- replays were horribly poor and inaccurate (because of poor netcode)

+ International wars

+ Didn't require broadband connections

+ Allowed hosting of servers for people with reasonable good upload

IMO the netcode 'survived' only because the game was so slow.

Never played a game with a better netcode than GR1.

I dont think it will come a game with such good netcode in the near future. It was actually so good my clan (vU) was able to hold #1 on both TCZ (Mainly NA clans) and CB (Only Euro clans) at the same time :)

Edited by IceDust

Actually the GR1 netcode was pretty good. It did have its deficiencies such as warping.

The question brought to my mind by this is this:

I have noticed that when I am dead and watching a fellow soldier I will see them shoot someone and the barrel (crosshairs) will be pointed ten to fifteen feet right of the target and I am like "omg aim more to the left" and then the enemy he is shooting at drops deader than a corpse. (This is still GR1 I am talking about) I have seen this many many times, so is this a result of the netcode? Or just plain lag/latency issues?

If this is netcode I hope that it will be fixed, don't know why just a nuisance really. The main reason though is when watching the replays someone may appear to be cheating when seeing this happen, ie. auto aim, pull the trigger and he is dead when not aimed right at the target. (And I am assuming that they will include replay ability though they are not commenting on it, just because it was such an important and integral part of GR1 for the laddering community, and entertainment value for stupidities alike.)

Thanks for the input,

Warmaster (name is messed up because of a typo and it was too late to fix...anyone know how to change it? did not see anything in the console ty)

So far the biggest negative I see on GR's netcode is the warping around corners deal.

I was guarding the alley in Embassy yesterday against the attackers (seige) and there were no sensors or intel for my area of the map. But when I thought I heard something and looked I saw a player come out of the alley and get warped back.

This always happens to players that are running full speed and stop just a couple of feet from exposing themselves. KNowing this has made me more careful when approaching corners, but still. I had an M16 and looking somewhere else. Had I not known he was there things could have turned out differently.

But I digress... this is GRAW. But you know guys, you all worry too much. Look at all we've been discovering about the quality of the team working on this, and how they are including some of the smallest over-looked details (I'm still drooling over the reload animation explained by Bo i believe) so I don't see how they would not worry about the netcode ;)

-John

That's just a glitch in the observer mode, it happens in replays too. The crosshair's always a little off to one side.

It's just that GR1 didn't require a good connection, you only needed something like 10 dl and 5-7 ul to play in most servers. In other games where observermode, and thus demos/replays as well, are better quality is simply because those games need twice -if not more- down/upload.

GR1 servers/netcode had very little information to show fluent movements, i don't know exactly how many '(world)updates' the server got from every player.. but certainly not many.

So what you see is the server/netcode extrapolating (guessing where he's going) the player's position, and like explained before in this thread if you run to a corner and stop at the end the server will extrapolate that player's position and show him running around the corner -> then "seeing" the the player stopped before the corner -> that's how you get this animation of a player warping around a corner and suddenly warping back.

GR1's netcode (replays, observermode) is very robotic. I really hope GRIN is able to make decent replays (all views in 1) for GRAW or if not... clientsided replays of superb quality; showing exactly pixelprecise what the client did.

In CS you also have good and poor "replays" (HLTV demos). A serversetting decides how good or bad it will become (hltv). HLTV was made so people could spectate matches via a "streaming demo/replay" that they are slowly downloading and playing. You can imagine what happends when 2 top teams are playing together. We're not talking about 10's or 100's or sometimes 1000's of spectators but 10.000's.

These HLTV servers can't handle the amount of bandwidth/traffic or something and they can change some connectionsettings so the hltv demo/replay records less per second (in size). So instead of sending 20 kb/s to every spectator connected they are only sending 15 kb/s now (for example). This determines the quality of the hltv demo/replay ofcourse.

Basicly this means if we want quality replays in GRAW the server needs more data from us to make better replays. In a normal lenght match this could mean something around 50mb..

Replays aren't that normal in games nowadays i think. But clientdemos are basicly in every "big" game with a decent multiplayer. I rather have quality clientdemos then poor replays

That's just a glitch in the observer mode, it happens in replays too. The crosshair's always a little off to one side.

Was not a glitch

Your point of view is over the left eye (just not centered with the person)

That is why left peek glitches are common and you will notice if you peek left around a rock, less of you is seen then the right (because less of your body needs to be exposed to see)

I think from replays it was from the actual center... therefore making the views a little different.

As for a lobby, i asked this before and was told in the GR1 style there would be one... unless this has changed since.

Warmaster (name is messed up because of a typo and it was too late to fix...anyone know how to change it? did not see anything in the console ty)

done :thumbsup:

Zjj I wub you :yes: ty for fixing that..great support...nothing like posting with a name that is not what you wanted :)

Warmaster

Edited by Warmaster

Is the network code for GRAW based off of the network code from the original GR?

There were many good things and bad things about that protocol, and I'm interested if we can expect similar behavior.

I'm not sure this has been asked quite this way before... I am hoping that a dev will answer, but anyone with info, please share.

[Merged into existing thread - Please check before posting]

Edited by Pave Low

• 14 years later...
On 03/04/2006 at 06:24, tonytwotoes said:

First off, cheers to the Dev team for giving us information, and Ghostrecon.net for keeping all the flaming nubs out.

I was hoping to get a little information about the netcode. GR1 netcode was pretty good. I'm Aussie and I like playing in US servers. In RvS it wasn't really possible to have GGs overseas. So ...

How good is the netcode? Is every bullet accounted for? Can I shoot at yanks in this game?

Secondly, one of the best parts about GR1 was the end of round conversations. It was easy to communicate and it was sociable and everyone said ggs. My clan and I had some fun times in the old 13thEA server. Is the ingame lobby similar to the old one, and if not can you spend the next month making it like it please?

I can't wait to get my old mates together and go to war again. I'll send those naked pics of myself to thank you very soon. :yes: Cheers Devs!!

There are still a few of us 13thEA guys around.  We just got a few of us back together for a damn near 20 year reunion seeing as how everyone is stuck at home and bored out of our skulls.  Grey (me), Strider, Quaker, Scooter, Tommyboy (although Tom is considered essential so he still works lol).

Edited by Grey
missing words