pc gamers playing 360

Cpl Ledanek

I got to sample GRAW 360 at local store and, since I haven't touch a gamepad since '92 I believe, the controls was confusing to me.

So just the PC gamers, how do you get used to the controls and how long did it take you to get adjusted?

I tried getting use to it but there was long line of kiddies waiting to take their turn. Besides I rather watch and drool at this point, rather than get frustrated and loose interest.

Its so hard to get old :whistle::D

i rarely play console...

but the other night when i went to a halo party, it took like 3 hours untill i started doing decent.

halo is fun thoe... i just wish i had a mouse / keyboard

only reason i wont get an xbox360 is no mouse / keybaord.... but then again it will have halo3 ... maybe it will come out on pc too?

Edited by Prozac360

There was a mouse keyboard adapter for the xbox, i suspect it wont be long before there is one for the 360 as well. My brothers tradionally a pc gamer and found its only real problem was the controls are designed for a control pad so when using the mouse/ keyboard some of the features were lost for example on gr with pc you have separate buttons to walk/ run whereas on the xbox it was a thumbstick which the further forward you moved it the faster you moved, this was lost with the adapter so you were either standing or running.

Despite the lose of some features he did find he felt more at home with it and his ability to play was not affected by the lose of features, until there is one out on the 360 though its hard to say if the same problem will occur

Not much help to you right now i know but thought i would mention it so if interested you could keep an eye out for it

There was a mouse keyboard adapter for the xbox, i suspect it wont be long before there is one for the 360 as well. My brothers tradionally a pc gamer and found its only real problem was the controls are designed for a control pad so when using the mouse/ keyboard some of the features were lost for example on gr with pc you have separate buttons to walk/ run whereas on the xbox it was a thumbstick which the further forward you moved it the faster you moved, this was lost with the adapter so you were either standing or running.

Despite the lose of some features he did find he felt more at home with it and his ability to play was not affected by the lose of features, until there is one out on the 360 though its hard to say if the same problem will occur

Not much help to you right now i know but thought i would mention it so if interested you could keep an eye out for it

That could easily be fixed with say an analog numpad for walking?? Do they have analog keyboards??

PC Gamer for years, so when I decided against a PC upgrade for a 360 I will admit ot having my doubts...mostly due to the joypad issue.

But to my surprise it didn't take all that long to get up and running with it. To get used to the controls, I'd say an evenings gaming on SP. To get proficient then I'd say about a week. Now I don't even think about using a joypad.

And it is a fun game/console to play, no matter what PC gamers may say about it.

I was pc gamer before Xbox1 and after I went to using controller pad I dont want to go back on keyboard anymore. Main difference is that keyboard buttons are digital (1/0), while pad is analog (i.e. in Splinter Cell if you push stick slightly Sam will walk, if you push it all the way he will run). I think pad is somehow more like real life operates.

Edited by Lysander

I'm a dedicated PC gamer. However, I am lucky to have a family member living in the house who has a 360. For this reason I went and picked up GR:AW and played it (beat it on normal).

What I noticed, with GR:AW 360 and the control, was that aiming was harder (not as precise). At the same time, I noticed that you didn't seem to have to aim as well (some degree of auto-aim maybe?). It seemed like I only needed to get 'close' to aiming exactly at the target and I would hit it. Is this true of all console shooters? Or am I just seeing things? I seem to recall it being like this in Halo 2 as well.

Edited by Uncle_Buck

On GRAW on found the controls quite quick to learn but am not yet at the point where I prefer the pad over a keyboard.

With Blazing Angels I already prefer the pad to the keyboard, perhaps not surprising with a flying game though. Rather strangely it seems there is no option to either remap the layout though, or even select from 2 or 3 presets.

I personally prefer the control pad, so for me it is not an issue, but I can't imagine that it would take more than a week for an experienced PC gamer.

I like the control pad, big screen, and easy chair, but I prefer the PC games. Only if they would make PC games for consoles.

On GRAW on found the controls quite quick to learn but am not yet at the point where I prefer the pad over a keyboard.

Don't believe him. Was playing with Rocky this evening at GR:AW (360 version) and he didn't do all that bad.

But it's not a matter of liking one over the other. Sure it's a stumbling block depending on which one you either do or don't use very regularly but, it's a means to an end like all things are and once you get used to the controls it does feel very natural using either a keyboard & mouse or a controller.

Yeh GGs Cobbs!

Mrs Rocky wasn't too chuffed at me commandeering both the telly and the computer though. After we were done with GRAW on the Xbox, I started it downloading a game demo and I was on the PC, she had to eat her supper staring at a download progress bar on the telly :unsure:

It can be advantageous in some situations to use a gamepad. I wailed on buddies on the PC version of Chaos Theory with a gamepad. A test run with the new 360 pad hooked to a PC at IGN had a 1 on 1 match of HALO coming out hands down to the gamepad. KB/Mouse can be more accurate but in games where the camera allows 360 awareness, the gamepad can provide an advantage.

I think the best way to get used to the pad, was the same way I did when I went from PC to console/PC. Find a title you enjoy in SP. This wil keep the frustration factor down and eventually it will come to you. I remember my SOCOM 1 days and getting hammered online. When SOCOM II came out, it was a different story. ;)

So just the PC gamers, how do you get used to the controls and how long did it take you to get adjusted?

It took me awhile, but once you're used to it it's not really that hard. Basically, one thumb is like the directional buttons on the keyboard, and the other thumb is to look around like the mouse.

I still find aiming easier with kb/mouse.

Some games are better with the gamepad (like Splinter Cell) as the analog button can control the speed you walk/run, and the gamepad rumbling can also be used to good effect.

I find that apart from RTS games, gamepads (especially the Xbox's Controller S and the 360 pad) are certainly easier to game with than KB+M.

To Prozac360:

Halo 2 will be out on Vista early next year.

As for Halo 3, don't expect a Windows port for at least 2 more years. And only on Vista at that.

To Druac_Blaise:

You can turn off auto-aim in the 360's preferences. This should have an effect on GRAW. I believe Halo 2 has this option for campaign play only.

Aim-assist is essential for console FPSes. Some games, however, do get carried away with it.

Edited by Arachneya