AGEIA Technologies Kentia MR 7152

AGEIA Technologies Kentia MR 7156

AGEIA Technologies Kentia MR 7158

AGEIA Technologies Kentia MR 7153

AGEIA Technologies Kentia MR 7155

AGEIA Technologies Kentia MR 7157

AGEIA Technologies Kentia MR 7159

AGEIA Technologies Kentia MR 7161

This is the largest showing at E3( by booth count)

Ubi showing with 3.

Ubi Soft Entertainment South MR 304B

Ubi Soft Entertainment South 924

Ubi Soft Entertainment West MR 516

Booths are not even in same hall so if there is a GR:AW PC - Ageia event it would most likely be at Ageea. IMO

Bo, will you be there? If so which in booth will GRIN be hanging out? Ageia or UBI the most?

I will be there this year.

If Bo is gonna be there I would really like to ask a few questions about Ghost Recon if its not out yet :)

The Kentia Hall is downstairs, its kinda where the cheapy stuff is, but their booth is noticably larger than it was last year.

Not just AGEIA then?

Nvidia shows off game physics GPU software  http://theinquirer.net/?article=30413

Ageia-like physics modelling on cards you already own? http://theinquirer.net/?article=30434

yep, they showing Havok FX on series 6 and 7 nVidia cards on the GDC in San Jose this week

http://www.gpgpu.org/

http://www.havok.com/content/view/187/77/

bye bye AGEIA :bye:

When this all came about for graw there was a thread started up asking about it etc etc. I mentioned that cost will come down and probably be better later on when GCard manufacturers maybe impliment this physics card chip onto there own graphics cards like an all-in-one integrated card for both graphics & physics.

Seems like this is happening and I thought (as im not very clued up on latest hardware happenings so forgive me as nothing im saying here is anythin bran new) ... Ageia would create a more compact version as a chip that nvidia/ati could purchase and integrate onto there own cards / daughter board, but it looks like they are all out making there own.

In my opinion if my next purchase of a graphics card has a additional physics chip built in I wouldnt even bother to get yet another card for that purpose aswel.

Unless all game push support for Ageia then its just messy and just for some more physics realism/additional eye candy it seems like alot of messing about, i wont bother personaly.

In my opinion if my next purchase of a graphics card has a additional physics chip built in I wouldnt even bother to get yet another card for that purpose aswel.

Unless all game push support for Ageia then its just messy and just for some more physics realism/additional eye candy it seems like alot of messing about, i wont bother personaly.

Havok FX supports Shader Model 3 cards, it's not related to the hardware of nVidia, ATI cards will work too. The biggest Problem for Ageia is the market share of the big players (ATI, nVidia). There is no need to buy new hardware. But you can spend the saved money for a separate physics card to get a better GFX card. Even if the performance of Havok FX on GPU is below the Ageia cards performace, they have the better marketing engine and they also need something to tell to the customer because the SLI topic is getting boring.

Edited by Striker-1991

Havok FX supports Shader Model 3 cards, it's not related to the hardware of nVidia, ATI cards will work too. The biggest Problem for Ageia is the market share of the big players (ATI, nVidia). There is no need to buy new hardware. But you can spend the saved money for a separate physics card to get a better GFX card. Even if the performance of Havok FX on GPU is below the Ageia cards performace, they have the better marketing engine and they also need something to tell to the customer because the SLI topic is getting boring.

I don't have any info specifically, but my thoughts are that the physics on GPU thing could be more of a long term solution. I could see nvidia/ATI making newer chips with a dedicated core sometime down the road(even using a scaled Ageia core), but the current solution is a no go in my mind.

First off, you need a 7xxx class card to even use it. The 68xx cards *may* work but don't kid yourself... is there really any left over processor when running a recently released game? If I am shelling out the money for a card like that I won't give up any fps at all. I bought the card specifically to run at high res and high fps. Second, you would need to have a user controlled way to throttle the gpu to give it physics power otherwise you would have a wildly varying target of power for physics calculations. It would be extremely difficult to know when the GPU would be graphics or physics heavy in a game. It's a moving target and moving targets give you moving framerates.

Finally the case for SLI.... They say you can use the second card just for physics. That makes no sense to me at all. So I am supposed to go buy another $400 + graphics card, and probably a new power supply, just to take care of physics? Or I can go and buy a DEDICATED 100% purpose built do one thing and do it well $200 PPU that I am sure doesn't require a monster power supply just to make it run.

I see Ageia doing 1 of 2 things.... either writing adriver that makes thier solution run in shader 3.0 (not sure it's even possible) or agressively making deals to get the chips integrated on motherboards and graphics cards. Heck, they could even shack up with Creative Labs and integrate onto a sound card. That would probably work well.

I'm for the PPU.

BTW: I do agree on the Havok marketing though.. they definately have the better spin on things.

-John

I'm for the PPU.

BTW: I do agree on the Havok marketing though.. they definately have the better spin on things.

-John

thats what I try to say, the biggest problem for Ageia is the marketing machinery from nVidia or ATI, they need a reason to sell new powerful gfx cards buts what comes after SLI/Crossfire and HDR?

The pro for the gfx card solution is that the data for the graphic oriented physics are not transfered over the bus to another card with separate memory, the con is the gfx work they already have to do.

If Ageia physics license is cheaper than Havok FX then they could have an advantage and they could sell the chip. But the price for the cards must be well calculated.

Edited by Striker-1991

I'm for the PPU.

-John

thats what I try to say, the biggest problem for Ageia is the marketing machinery from nVidia or ATI, they need a reason to sell new powerful gfx cards buts what comes after SLI/Crossfire and HDR?

The pro for the gfx card solution is that the data for the graphic oriented physics are not transfered over the bus to another card with separate memory, the con is the gfx work they already have to do.

If Ageia physics license is cheaper than Havok FX then they could have an advantage and they could sell the chip. But the price for the cards must be well calculated.

As far as developers go... Ageia physics are much cheaper to license than Havok. And, Havok FX, the part of Havok that would use the GPU is an additional license for the developer. Usage of the PPU is included in Ageia's solution sttrait away..... just pop in a PPU and all physics calculations in a game using thier API are automatically taken over.

Cloudy is the future. :D

-John

-John