Multiple Disc Install Problem

you talking about like XP not recognizing the third CD as an example? I'm using media center edition (winxp pro with media features) and I've had no problems at all nor with my old winxp home edition pc either.

This is the first time I have heard of this problem, at least being blamed on XP.

I have seen it with third party stuff, games mainly that you install from multiple discs.

But that is a problem with the game software.

There is one other cause that is common also: alot of times it can be an indicator that your optical drive is getting worn out, and that the Media Access Chip, the chip that identifies each disc volume when it's inserted into the drive, is on it's way out, and it may be getting time to replace the drive.

But I have never seen or heard of it being an XP problem, not with any of the editions.

And you all know how I love to blame stuff on Winblows, but this, you just can't.

And you all know how I love to blame stuff on Winblows, but this, you just can't.

I agree. I occasionally experience this prob (Lockdown PC anyone?) but it's a prob with either the hardware or the CD(s). This is not a Windows prob.

Might be helpful to tell us what software you are trying to install

I agree. I occasionally experience this prob (Lockdown PC anyone?) but it's a prob with either the hardware or the CD(s). This is not a Windows prob.

Might be helpful to tell us what software you are trying to install

And what kind of optical drive you are using and how old it is.

In alot of cases, going to the mfr's website and checking for a rirmware update and applying it if their is one may also fix the issue.

Edited by Specter

The disc drive according to the device manager is named ST380011A and it's a week old.

I believe you have provided a Seagate hard drive not your CD/DVD ROM drive. Do you have two CD/DVD ROM drives in your pc. Go to start/right click on my computer/select manage/Device Manager/ in right side window list all your hardware, look for DVD/CD Rom drives and click the + to see what dvd/cd rom drive you have installed.

Well, I was doing a little research on your problem, and found a place that had about 18 pages of people with problems with that drive.

But, here, is what I would do.

Clean each disc, and make sure that the troublesome disc is scratch free.

Then go to the mfr. website and see if they have an updated driver or updated firmware.

If so, DL and install it, and see if that takes care of the issue.

If not, and you are absolutely sure the problem isn't the game discs themselves, return the drive for a new one.

I'm not up on sports games, and for the most part, I don't buy EA games, but is it copy protected with StarFarce or some other form of copy protection?

I remember a good time back, and I forget which game it was, but I couldn't get it to install because of the copy protection, and a firmware upgrade from HP for the drive fixed it right up.

If so, the firmware update may well clear that up.

Edited by Specter

Well, I was finally able to get that second disk to install.

I have still have no idea what it was, although I did remove a folder for the EA game service before reinstalling.

As to the suggestion of getting a new driver, I could find no new drivers available.

Thanks for all of your responses, I really appreciate the help.

I had a similar problem with Lockdown day before yesterday. With Disc 3. I kept inserting it, and it kept telling me to insert the correct disk.

I got the CD version. All I could find locally.

What I did notic though with LD, is that the StarFarce that is included assumes you have a DVD version, no matter which version you have, and I wonder if that is causing issue. It wouldn't surprise me.

Symantec really ought to come up with a way to quarnatine and do away with the StarFarce Virus, but you can wish in one hand and ###### in the other and see which fills up faster, right?

Anyway, I ejected the disc 3 times and re-closed the tray, and the 4th time I hit enter it finally took.

Now since this is the first game I've had that trouble with in a long time, and last time, I knew it was a bad drive, this time, this is a fairly new drive, only 2 months old or so, and the only thing that has changed is that StarFarce crap is now on my system and never has been before. But we'll save that argument for the thread it belongs in.

But very rarely is it every a Winblows issue.

And I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I can't blame this on Microsoft. It just kind of ruins my day.

But I am researching whethee or not I cna blame it on StarFarce. ANd if I can, that will make up for not being able to blame it on Microsoft.

I had a similar problem with Lockdown day before yesterday.  With Disc 3. I kept inserting it, and it kept telling me to insert the correct disk.

I got the CD version.  All I could find locally.

LOL, that was my exact problem too. (Also saw a thread at the Ubi LD forums by at least one other person with this prob.) I had to abort my first install attempt, then had to be VERY patient on my 2nd attempt - just kept repeatedly opening and closing my optical drive tray (a decent Lite-On dual-layer DVD burner which I bought in Nov '05) and timing pressing "OK" after I heard the CD spin up - Sheesh!! <_<

I initially didn't think it was an SF prob until after I finally succeeded in installing the game, I started to blame SF for the behavior after it took about seriously 8 tries for my DVD burner and Windows to detect Disc 1 to play the game. StarForce kept giving me an error message that the disc wasn't in the tray. Once again, just needed to eject and reinsert the disc.

It still may not be SF's fault - perhaps a defect in the pressing of the CDs, but I'm not sure what else it would be since I haven't had probs with installing with multiple CDs (Raven Shield or BF2) on the same system/DVD burner.

I honestly think Ubi didn't release a DVD version in N. America as I haven't seen it anywhere at the usual retail spots - even the good ones. <_<

BTW, I just installed EA FIFA 2003 (2 CDs) without probs.

I had a similar problem with Lockdown day before yesterday.  With Disc 3. I kept inserting it, and it kept telling me to insert the correct disk.

I got the CD version.  All I could find locally.

LOL, that was my exact problem too. (Also saw a thread at the Ubi LD forums by at least one other person with this prob.) I had to abort my first install attempt, then had to be VERY patient on my 2nd attempt - just kept repeatedly opening and closing my optical drive tray (a decent Lite-On dual-layer DVD burner which I bought in Nov '05) and timing pressing "OK" after I heard the CD spin up - Sheesh!! <_<

I initially didn't think it was an SF prob until after I finally succeeded in installing the game, I started to blame SF for the behavior after it took about seriously 8 tries for my DVD burner and Windows to detect Disc 1 to play the game. StarForce kept giving me an error message that the disc wasn't in the tray. Once again, just needed to eject and reinsert the disc.

It still may not be SF's fault - perhaps a defect in the pressing of the CDs, but I'm not sure what else it would be since I haven't had probs with installing with multiple CDs (Raven Shield or BF2) on the same system/DVD burner.

I honestly think Ubi didn't release a DVD version in N. America as I haven't seen it anywhere at the usual retail spots - even the good ones. <_<

BTW, I just installed EA FIFA 2003 (2 CDs) without probs.

I think it's SF. This is the first game I've personally had this trouble with, I think I probably have the exact burner you do: Lite-On DVDRW-SOHW 1633S.

I never had issues until StarFarce came into the picture.

And as evidenced in the StarFarce threads here and at Ubi, as much as I will hate it, I may just blow off GRAW.

Did you see what they told that poor kid, Pigfister?

And this is supposed to be a professional company? My ass.

It's really unfortunate that you gents are having install problems with Lockdown. I installed LD with no problem all disc no hiccups. I have the Sony DVDRom DDU1613 but I'm not giving Sony a seal of approval. It's one of those things where so many different hard devices can't be tested until released to public. One of these days the public should mail a bill to manufactures for helping debug. :P

I think it's SF.  This is the first game I've personally had this trouble with, I think I probably have the exact burner you do: Lite-On DVDRW-SOHW 1633S.

Yup, pretty much the same. Device Manager says I got the Lite-On DVDRW-SOHW 1693S