Ghost Recon.net Forums
Snake@War

Playing XBOX version!

I just rented it! It's tight. I don't mind the 2-man squad that much. It's tough though. If you got questions, I got answers!

Well you are given single objectives but the way you go to get them, there a lot. Pretty open, IMO. Good game so far.

You don't get to choose your weapons though in between missions.

The 1st mission's graphics are awesome, but mission 2's HDR lighting is overdone...

I also rented the Xbox version & I have to say I am so far very dissapointed with it.

1st off, am I missing something cause so far the only co-op you can play are the missions, ones that are unlocked anyway. No hamburger hill, siege, etc...just the missions. wth? Someone please tell me I'm wrong about this.

What's with the long load times? When you die (& u will), it takes like 15 seconds before you can even jump back in.

Granted I was not a huge fan of the direction that GR2 & SS took but I feel that at least they still felt like a GR game. IMO GRAW does not feel or play like any of the previous versions.

I also have to add that right now I am only 2 levels into it.

I think I need to go try again before I rant any further...

OK, I played some more and;

Enemies DO spawn right in front of you sometimes, oh how I hate that.

Team-mate AI; twice in one level my fellow ghost threw a grenade against the wall right in front of him, killing himself both times, aaarggh! He also repeatedly walks into my line of fire.

The slowdown in the 2nd level is more than I've seen in any GR game.

The auto-save totally interrupts the flow of the game.

IMO many of the objectives are confusing, there is a lot of trail & error (you die alot), to figure what to do next.

Still cannot find any co-op types other than the missions. Even in SP quick mission mode there are no other game types but the mission (correct me if I'm wrong), unlockable maybe?

I have to assume than the Co. that programmed GR2 & SS had nothing to do with this version because so far I think this is a step backwards especially in fun-factor.

Again, just one man's opinion...

I just rented it! It's tight. I don't mind the 2-man squad that much. It's tough though. If you got questions, I got answers!

Well, it's nice to finally see one good review of GRAW for Xbox. Snake, I trust your taste in gaming. No offense to others, but they seem to have expected a GR2/SS iteration. Both of which I hated.

Snake, please tell us more about how you feel about this game. Are the graphics really that bad? Does the gameplay at least make up for it? It was bad enough that squad control in GR2/SS was complete laughable ... is it more so now that there is only one other guy? (Maybe the answer to that last one isn't as obvious as I'm hoping.) As an example, if you tell him to hold position, does he actually hold position and not run after you after 15 seconds? You mention some open-endedness on the missions - please elaborate.

Thanks!

Team-mate AI; twice in one level my fellow ghost threw a grenade against the wall right in front of him, killing himself both times, aaarggh! He also repeatedly walks into my line of fire.

well if its true then that sux

could someone say something good about this game for a change

Are the graphics really that bad?

Well, they're bad. HDR lighting is terribly implemented. It ruins the GFX.

Does the gameplay at least make up for it?

IMO, yes. The game flows really well where I'm at.

It was bad enough that squad control in GR2/SS was complete laughable ... is it more so now that there is only one other guy? (Maybe the answer to that last one isn't as obvious as I'm hoping.)

Depends on what part you don't like. You can tell them to go to specific places (hold), hold fire unless fired upon, fire at will, they also automatically take cover when you tell them to go to a corner or barrier, anything really.

As an example, if you tell him to hold position, does he actually hold position and not run after you after 15 seconds?

Yes. He will hold indefinitely, from my experience. (Usefull way to avoid TK's! lol)

You mention some open-endedness on the missions - please elaborate.

Well it's open ended in the sense that there are lots of ways to manuver the streets. Different streets, alleys, stuff like that, but it's not like [GR] in the sense that you choose which objectives you hit first, second and last. You only get one objective at a time.

Any more Q's?

Hmmm ... the very fact that the AI will hold position and not run after you 10 seconds later like a bunch of lost kids that peed in their pants cos bad men shot guns at em is a huge step up from GR:SS in my opinion ...

Snake, you might have just convinced me to get the game!

[Edit] Sorry, one last quick questions - can you use waypoints?

Not HDR, just bloom. That's why it looks so awful.

Oh, Excuse me. :blush:

Oh, Excuse me. :blush:

No problem. Bloom and HDR get lumped together a lot now, even though bloom greatly predates HDR.

What's the diff?

HDR high dynamic range. It actually allows more depth and contrast to light than normal lighting. Bloom is the spreading at the edges effect on lighting that was popularized by the first Prince of Perisa.

They go together quite well, and most everything with HDR also has bloom.

I have read some stuff that you cannot go prone in this game. Is it true?

That is true.

jhcung, cmon man, go rent it and tell me how it is! :D

I could rent it, but I seriously do not have time right now to run it. Maybe in two or three weeks. I'll probably just buy it. I'll remember to let you know. :thumbsup: