Ghost Recon.net Forums
Xian Saint

GRAW Quicklook

So, my POV on GRAW A.I. is this - it's as good as any game that's out there, at least that I've played. There have been some minor issues, but overall, friendly/enemy A.I. is top notch. I enjoy telling my squad to take up a position and watching them move into place, backing each other up and scanning the area. In one scene they were taking cover behind some barrels. One went prone and was firing off the side, one was firing over the top. The other was kneeling. When the one firing over the top emptied his clip he kneeled down and reloaded while the other stood and fired. Sweet! The enemy runs for cover and fires with a varying degree of accuracy. I tried "getting in the way" of my squad and tried to get them to stack but they're too smart for that. I've noticed very few issues with the A.I. to this point, but there are small quirks. I snuck around an enemy soldier and was practically prone right next to him and he didn't see me (if I had a knife, I could've taken him out - to give you an indication of how close). Summary = In my opinion...AI is great.

Thanks for thumbs up about AI! What about environment destructibility, buses going up in flames and such, is there exaggeration present in the game or it is contained in realm of physics and reality.

Hi,

thanks for your report, great review, definitively the best I've read

If you want to remove or put back the diamonds in SP, you can do it : just push the X button for few seconds, a menu will appear, select the diamond.

it will remove all the hud helper like diamond and arrows.

Cool posts. I'm only up to Mission 5 single-player wise as I've spent most of my time online in Co-Op modes.

I'm starting to feel really bad about the single-player honestly and I know a lot of people will disagree with me. It's hard for me right now as I'm having mixed feelings about this actually being a "game" from what I've played. Maybe it's because you're so immersed in the world, but a lot of the game feels to me more like an interactive full motion video sequence to me. It's like for the most part, you go through and area and kill a couple of enemies, go through a large empty area, then hit a couple more button presses to kill an enemy?

I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like one of those games to me so far like those old games where you go through a scene with no control then you just push whatever button they tell you to when it pops up on the screen. (like those old Shenmue sequences)

I don't know why it feels that way to me. Another thing that made me take another look at the game was just how flooring the graphics were. In a way, I wish they just had the game control well instead of worrying about graphics so much. I mean, the game does control well, don't get me wrong. For instance though, in Mission 4 I believe, you're up on a hill where you can snipe down on enemies and when you're zoomed in to either the first stage or second stage of zoom on a sniper rifle, the enemies actually outrun your reticle because you can't turn fast enough.

I feel this was an issue because if they let you turn faster, there might have been framerate issues. Developers make that sacrifice once in awhile. It's very frustrating for me when you actually can't target an enemy because your reticle is too slow and you're forced to take a sniper rifle? It's never been like this in the past with any other of the GR series games.

I think that is what is adding to making it feel more like a button-pressing interactive movie for me as well...because everything is just SO slow to me.

Well anyways, this whole post wasn't a bash, I love the game and I plan on reviewing it on my website when I'm finished with single-player and I'm pretty sure the game will score at least an 8.8 from or a decent bit higher. I was just stating some of the stuff I ran into that was disappointing.

Thanks for the review of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare.

It doesn't sound like a game I will buy but the information is interesting. When the demo for this game is released it will tell all.

Is there an option to turn off all the indicators that show where enemy are located?

Is there an option to turn off all the indicators that show where enemy are located?

Yeh, there is an easy toggle that removes the red triangles. You can even actiavte it during a mission at anytime, rather than an option you decide on before you start, and are then stuck with, which is cool.

One thing that really turns me off about Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is the speed you can run. It is too fast.

It bugged me in America's Army too. The speed you can run is unreal.

@Lysander - Environment Destructibility - not really. There are some things...car windows and cardboard boxes...it's pretty much the way it has been in all the other GR games. It would be nice to throw a grenade and it leave a small crater where it detonates...but I think there have only been a handful of games ever try and accomplish this task.

@Ektor - THANK YOU! I forgot to try this over the weekend. I've been playing mostly MP and it doesn't seem as big of problem in MP. But DEFINITELy want to turn this off. Thanks for the heads up. (I did see where to turn the cross com off, but that isn't nearly as annyoing as the diamonds).

@devilsgrin_6 - I know what you're saying about SP part of the game...as long as the MP is good, people are going to love it (especially PC version). Not to say there isn't a crowd for SP, but I recall a poll that was run at this site during the height of the original GR popularity...and surprisingly more players never finished the SP campaign then did...you'd be surprised how many diehard GR players never even beat the game on SP...I didn't...for a very very long time. Too busy playing MP. Since GRAW released and my initial review...I haven't touched SP at all...but me and me boys have logged some hours (the wife would probably say too many) on MP.

@Militiaman - Not sure why you don't plan to buy it...but I think a demo would definitely help you and others make the final decision. I would expect a demo for 360 in the next editions of Xbox magazine and who knows when to expect one for the PC. As much as I love this game on 360...I can't wait for its arrival on PC. If it's as good, we'll all be happy campers...(er...not that kind of camper). I didn't really notice the speed/running issue. I do notice that the movement/motion of your character seems totally different depending on whether you use the crosshair view or over the shoulder view. One of my hits for the game was the prone movement...if you use the over the shoulder view - it seems okay. Nicely done. If you use crosshair view...it seems "not okay"...it will be interesting to see how the PC version incorporates this...most FPS have a "run" key, whereas on a console your movement is controlled with the a variable stick. CENTCOM eh? I like the name... ;-)

-Other comments.

*lag - hasn't really been an issue. I know some have said they have problems. I haven't seen any unusual indications for this...not like Call of Duty 2 and Halo2. I have no problem finding and connecting to MP games...and no problems getting disconnected unexpectedly. About the only issue I have is when the host taps out and pulls the plug because spawn is disabled or they die too many times and disconnect because they get tired of waiting on everyone else.

*1080i HD - mine is set to run 1080i...and I haven't had any problems. Looks beautiful to me. I've posted some screen shots in this forum to try and relay the look of the game...granted they were taken via handheld digital camera while playing, so it actually looks a little better then the pics show.

*night vision - nicely done...I had the opportunity to look thru real night vision goggles a few times in my career. One thing to note about it, most games don't do night vision any justice in their simulation (IMHO). GRAW is probably the best I've seen, but it's almost a disadvantage (which is what I'd expect). Most games that simulate NVG show a nice sharp image...where you might clearly see the "white" outline of a contact. In GRAW, you might see the white blur of a potential contact and if you move side to side too fast - too much...it causes a ghosting effect. Kind of hard to explain by someone who isn't a NVG expert...but I just thought it seemed very real. I spent a few seconds firing at what I thought was a soldier, when I finally approached it and clicked NVG off, it was a campfire. One level is dark and rainy...and this really wreaks havoc on your NVG. Anyways...just another top notch adaptation into the game.

*AI - now I know I've already given my two cents on AI...but I have seen an issue...not a big one...when you play Co-Op elimination (like terrorist hunt - or whatever they call it - kill all the AI bad guys)...they seem to swarm in droves which makes taking out a large group rather easy. Sometimes there are so many they end up killing you because you're stuck reloading. On a side note, AI can use grenades extremely well...and they will double back and try and flank you. So, my stance on AI remains the same...there are some issues, but overall, very nicely done.

*spawn - I've been playing in many games where spawn is set to none or 3...which is nice because that usually results in players taking their time so they don't have to sit out the whole game. I think this is a feature most PC players of old GR are used to, and nice to see it carry over into the console world. I know previous GR/R6 titles on console had this, but seemed like spawn was always set to infinite...which really means screw up as much as you want by running and gunning.

*maps - I'm only talking MP because that's all I've really played...but map selection is a beautiful assortment of unique locations. Day and night. Clear and Rainy. Urban and rural. Industrial and Commercial. My personal fav is the drydock map (go figure a Navy guy that likes the dry dock map). If any dev's read this by chance...this game is screaming for a snow map...I'm thinking something along "bunkers" or the Alpine map from the Rainbow Series.

*Split Screen - split screen = FPS only (no over the shoulder) - I normally play over the shoulder because I enjoy the character animations/modelling etc...so when you play split screen...you are limited to FPS view only. Not a big issue. Just noting it.