As Much As I Like Gadgets..........

Dick Splash

Have you ever been in a social situation where the person your with puts your conversation on hold to answer a mobile phone call?

Have you ever been on the phone with someone, and then suddenly they get an incoming call, and they cut you off to answer it, or say they'll phone you back? How rude, whether they phoned you or not, they can see who's phoning them, and can [should] phone them back.

Have you ever been asked to go out with someone socially, only to find [it seems like] you're there basically to fill the time for them, inbetween their incoming or outgoing phone calls.

For the males reading this, have you finally managed to meet up with your mate for a beer or whatever, only to have his girlfriend/wife constantly phone him on his mobile phone?

Have you ever been in a public place on your own, and have the person next to you talk into his or her mobile phone loud. Loud enough to interupt your train of thought as you get an 'insight' into that person's personal life?

Have you ever been in a cinema, and someone's phone's rang? How annoying. I was sat next to a group of Bosnians a few weeks ago, and I have no idea why they were in the cimema in the first place. Two of their phones were constantly in use, and they were getting up from there seats and returning every five minutes. I'd have moved but it was a packed show.

Currently I do not own, nor need a mobile phone. My belief is that if I'm at home you can phone me, and if I'm at work you can phone me or leave a message, but when I'm out, especially with friends, I don't want to be called. Sure, this is different for different people, but it is how I feel about mobile phones at the moment.

Two years ago my wife insisted we needed one. I'd had them in the past, and she'd never had one. So we bought one on a twelve month contract. It was only ever used by my wife and I didn't even know how it worked. Very soon she couldn't stop using it. It went everywhere with her, and later she added text messaging. All this came about because her colleagues and friends had mobile phones and were sending text messages to each other. The messages sent could have been made with a phone call, but they were taking the time to write the text, rather than make the call. Anyway, needless to say, I cancelled the contract after a year.

However, so used to the mobile phone, my wife actually opened up a two year contract with the same phone company!!!

Whilst out last night, one of my friends had his new Palm and continued to use it along with his mobile phone, whilst we were all sat at the bar. It's hard trying to talk to someone when they're writing with a stylus and not giving you any eye contact!!!

Two days ago, whilst having lunch with friends, we were asked if we wanted to play the in-house triv' game. TV's placed around the restaurant would show questions and you had to answer on the wireless keyboard they provided. As much as I like triv', trying eat and have a conversation at the same time, whilst constantly looking up at a TV and then press a button, isn't that easy, so we all agreed, to 'log off' and talk instead.

I like gadgets and technology kids, but there is a time and a place don't you think?

DS

Mobile phones are annoying when used in public places, especially restaurants. My job is in the sales field, so this requries some staying away in hotels. And my biggest pet peev has to be waking up in the morning, going down for breakfast, only to have the person on the table next to you (at 7am I shoudl add) shouting down on their mobile phone.

Their should be a time and a place for this sort of thing. Aren't mobile phones banned in many places in Japan?

Mobile phones are an excuse not to be organised.

Funny you should say that, because the 'Palm' incident also had him explain to me that everytime he spends money, he notes that down and when it's uploaded to his PC, he knows where he's at with his finances!!! :wacko:

DS

I have a mobile phone, when do I use it? Only for emergencies. In fact it is rarely ever on and I don't give out the number.

However, I will admit that texting internationally is cheaper than calling. :whistle:

Mobile phones are an excuse not to be organised.

Funny you should say that, because the 'Palm' incident also had him explain to me that everytime he spends money, he notes that down and when it's uploaded to his PC, he knows where he's at with his finances!!! :wacko:

DS

<--------------------- does that too.

I've been in meetings when people have their mobile go off "Oh it's the office, It could be important. I have to answer this" It's their office wondering where they are, or checking if their diary is free to arrange a meeting, or some other piece of non life threatening rubbish that could have waited until they finished. In the olden days if it was really important they would have phoned our office to pass a message on to the person they wanted, but now they just get straight through.

People used to asked me why my phone was never switched on. Why do I want to be suddenly available to everyone who has my phone number, if I'm out of the house I don't want to talk to you. I now have to have my phone with me for work reasons but I'd rather turn it off. Very very rarely has any call I've received been worth it, or could have waited until later. If I could I'd only ever use my phone for outbound calls.

The risk with technology is it could make you stupid. Look at the auto replace in Word, that corrects mis-spellings. I never even noticed I was spelling the same word incorrectly because it changed it for me.

I have a phone. Don't kill me. :huh:

I keep it with me most of the time, but I keep it so it only vibrates when it rings. That way only I know it's ringing and if I'm busy, or its inapropriate I can ignore it with only a tickly sensation instead of the whole room knowing I'm ignoring someone. I don't use it in public unless I need to, in which case I keep it short and quiet, and move myself away from other people. When I'm at work I use it to text people to keep me sane seeing as I work with a total plank, whom most nights I would quite happily strangle with a slinky or something equally fun. I also found it much easier to start a relationship thanks to the fact I could text her, and then had time to think about what I said before I effectively said it. There's also the invaluble advantage of also being able to 'accidently' send texts to the wrong number :whistle: and so tell her what you really think without having to do so. Sorta.

But yeah, people who use them like you described should be taken out and have their phones placed somewhere on their person they can't get at. Somewhere painful. And then for added punishment set them to vibrate and ring them. The downside has to be when you go back through your inbox looking for an old message about something and sit reading all the texts from your ex till 2am and end up crying yourself to sleep and feeling like a total idiot. Gutted.

Currently I do not own, nor need a mobile phone. My belief is that if I'm at home you can phone me, and if I'm at work you can phone me or leave a message, but when I'm out, especially with friends, I don't want to be called.
Hell yes! :thumbsup: I am with you completely.

Sure, this is different for different people, but it is how I feel about mobile phones at the moment.
So you might change your mind? :blink: Cell phone are evil.

I like gadgets and technology kids, but there is a time and a place don't you think?
I don't think there is a time or a place for cell phones.

Call me a Luddite if you like, but I wish that they would ban cell phones. I do not know a single person who is consistently considerate when using them.

I'm a Libertarian so to say that I'm not a fan of bans on anything is an understatement, but I'll make an exception for cell phones.

I even know how to do it. Ban cell towers. They're much harder to hide than cell phones. Then, until the price of satellite phones goes down and portablitly is improved, you'll have the most successful ban in history. And even then, if you can control what satellites are put into orbit, you can have a successful ban. :rocky:

Oh to be a dictator.

Edited by Ryan243

ive got one and it pretty much keeps both my work and social lives rolling smoothly.

If im at home, uni, work or out and about anyone can reach me if need be, which i find extremely handy. There are some days where i will barely even be at my house, so the majority of people know not to call me on the home phone.

I dont like mobiles, heres a good reason why not :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4738114.stm

http://www.mobilelocators.com/?OVRAW=track...es&OVKEY=phone%

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/10/technology/10phone.html?

Or google "mobile phone tracking" ...

Ive hunted hight and low on BBC site for a programme they had and featured on news section where they tested tracking. They followed a person through london and then they even did it anon (which isnt how its supposed to work funny enough). I cant find the article, maybe they pulled it .... hmmmm wonder why.

Im not the one offering this type service on the back of it all :whistle: , just an observation and an angle which gets overlooked and should be taken into consideration.

If I could locate the damn BBC report where this was tested you would see what im refering too, like I say .. it seems to have been pulled unless I stumble across it, if I do I will post a link.

Its clear there are 2 sides to this and one of the sides is something people dont want to face or look into/at. Some do, but if you dont want to see it that way its your choice, and its respected.

PS - I have a tin foil hat firmly stapled to my dome and I feel happy with it :thumbsup::D

My cell phone is on 24/7, except for when I'm in class or in a movie. If I'm at work, in a restaurant or a public setting, it's on vibrate.

My cell is my life-line back home. If there's an emergency, or my mom or sister needs me, they call my cell (I don't even know what my dorm room number is). Same for my girlfriend, whenever she needs me, she calls my cell.

I will interrupt a conversation with someone to answer my cell only if it's a call from my mom, my sister or my girlfriend. Why? Because they're the only people that I can justify interrupting a conversation with.

I will talk on the phone at a restaurant because I'm never any louder than the people next to me, and if you couldn't see my phone, you'd think I was talking to whoever was at my table.

Cell phone etiquette is something people need to work on. I'm not going to go as far as to say that everyone needs to only use their phone for emergencies or as far as to say that everyone can talk to whoever, whenever... but there is a line, and you need to talk both sides of it.

If it's disturbing to others (like in a movie or at a play) keep it off or on silent -not vibrate. If you're out and about, keep it on, why not?

Just a thought...

unless the call is important i wont stop talking to someone else, and if i do get answer my phone when others are around ill walk into another room. If im at work, in a restaurant, at the movies itll be on vibrate. I dont answer it in the car, 1. its illegal 2. its stupid.

I do have a mobile but I only realy use it for texts. I dont take it out with me when on a "night out" like some do (my best mate does and he spends time just simply getting it out his pocket to see if anyones called!?? Like a habit more than for a reason ... that winds me up)... if im out on a jolly up I leave it at home ... after all "im out".