Ghost Recon.net Forums
BrandonKappel

How much...

Memory: 512MB RAM (1024Mb recommended)

Video Card: Shader 2.0 card with 128 MB of VRAM (256MB recommended)

Sound card: DirectX9 compatible sound card

How much will it cost to get all of this if I have a Sony VAIO PC with factory sound, video, and graphics cards? It has 124MB of RAM at tht moment.

Please, answer these three questions first about your motherboard. :thumbsup:

What type (AGP or PCI-Express) of video card interface does does your motherboard use?

How many RAM slots are there?

For the sound card, are there any free PCI slots? (Edit: Factory sound may work, though not that well.)

Also, do you prefer ATi or nVidia? You can get a REALLY good card, a Sapphire ATi Radeon x1600 Pro, for $130 on NEWEGG. It's running Quake 4, at maximum settings on 1280x1024, at 60-20 (Only drops to 20 when friendlies are up close on-screen) FPS. I just got one. :D

Edited by Snake@War

If you are going to upgrade your video card, then definately go for a 256 mb card. Dont go factory sound or video. Get a pci sound card, i just got a creative sound blaster audigy for 50 CAD. Works great.

I'm gonna point him to a Sapphire x1600 Pro for $130. First we need to find out if he has AGP or PCI-E, then I'm gonna hook 'em up with a Creative sound card for $30. Then, some RAM to bump him up to 1GB.

All if he has the dough.

Go to System Tools, and System Info.

Easy way, run DXDIAG, save a report, and copy and paste it here.

I didn't know that DXDIAG told you about how many RAM and PCI slots you have. :lol:

:thumbsup:

I didn't know that DXDIAG told you about how many RAM and PCI slots you have. :lol:

:thumbsup:

That it doesn't. But it will give you all the other info.

Mobo model will do the rest.

I don't have a camera to take a picture. I think I know what RAM slots look like, but what do PCI slots look like? I'll post my dxdiag stuff later when I get home.

I want to keep the cost as low as possible while still getting good results. Could I play GRAW (obviously the main reason I'm thinking about upgrading) with a factory sound card if I got more RAM and a graphics card? And then maybe get a sound card later? I'm on a pretty tight budget, but I want very good quality. If I get the graphics and sound card that Snake is refering to then, how much should the RAM cost? I think I have 265MB at the moment, maybe lower.

RAM depends on your MOBO and how many slots you have/want to keep open for the future.

REPEAT:

Post your DXDIAG report and mobo model, so we know what kind of advice to give you. At this point, we can't even really give you an educated guess. We need to see what you're working with.

You can download my DXDIAG in a text file here.

What is a MOBO model?

I have two RAM slots. One is filled right now with 256MB (it said 256MB DDR RAM 226MHz CL2.5). It said on the outside cover, 256MB RAM PC2100 (exp. to 1GB). Does this mean I can put in two 512MB chips and have a gig of RAM?

Would PCI ports be long white ports? I have three of those, my PC looks like the second link Cpl Ledanek gave me. I have a gray/brown port thats kinda small that my modem is in, then above that I have the three PCI ports. It says PCI 1, PCI 2, and PCI 3 near them, so I assume they are the PCI ports.

Ok. yes, you can expand to (2) 512MB sticks of RAM to come to a GB. Just make sure they are the right specs when you do.

Right now, you are running integrated sound and graphics. .

In your particular PC, you can't install anything but a PCI video card. that's right. Sadly, no AGP graphics. What you have here, is basically a very low-end, budget machine that you can't really do much with from a gaming and entertainment point of view. It was built basically as a workstation, nothing more.

With this particular PC, it is my advice that you don't waste any money trying to upgrade it. In this case, it isn't worth it.

Save your money, it's time to build a new system.

This motherboard(MOBO) is PCI only. In other words, the only things upgradable are RAM and sound, and NIC., and of course, dial-up modem.

Sorry for the bad news, but if you want to keep gaming, you are going to need a new system.

**Info in this post gotten from sony's website, using the PC model # from the DXDIAG report.**

Edited by Specter

If you were to upgrade anything, it isnt a requirement to get a PCI sound card, it may be better for performance, but unless your using quality speaker set(s) it isnt neccessary, as if your using a headset (like i am) You wont hear a difference except it may be slightly louder than onboard audio.

I'm gonna point him to a Sapphire x1600 Pro for $130. First we need to find out if he has AGP or PCI-E, then I'm gonna hook 'em up with a Creative sound card for $30. Then, some RAM to bump him up to 1GB.

All if he has the dough.

In the immortal words of Al from Home Improvement: " I don't think so, Tim." :wall::rofl:

Edited by Specter

Is there anyway I could upgrade this PC enough to play GRAW and other games?

I was looking at Call of Duty 2, a game which I thought of getting if I could. It recommends an nVidia GeForce 7 series or higher for a chip set, one that supports dynamic textures. Could I get this for my PC?What about a 3d Harware Accelerator card?

Anyway I can get these specs:

- 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX(R) 9.0c compatible 64 MB

Hardware Accelerator video card and the latest drivers

- English version of Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000/XP

- Pentium(R) 4 1.4GHz or AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1700+

- 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)

- DirectX(R) 9.0c (Not included with Demo)

- 100% DirectX(R) 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.

- 100% Windows(R) 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers

- 700 MB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 800MB for Windows(R)

2000/XP swap file)

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not

be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by the Call of Duty(R)

2 Demo. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX(R) 9.0c

compatibility.

This product does not support Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 95/98/ME or NT.

SUPPORTED CHIPSETS:

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 8500

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9000

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9200

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9500

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9600

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9700

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X300

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X550

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X600

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X700

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X800

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X850

- NVidia(R) Geforce(tm)2 Ultra

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) 3/Ti Series

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) 4/Ti Series

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) FX Series

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) 6 Series

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) 7 series

Edited by BrandonKappel

Is there anyway I could upgrade this PC enough to play GRAW and other games?

I was looking at Call of Duty 2, a game which I thought of getting if I could. It recommends an nVidia GeForce 7 series or higher for a chip set, one that supports dynamic textures. Could I get this for my PC?What about a 3d Harware Accelerator card?

Anyway I can get these specs:

- 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX(R) 9.0c compatible 64 MB

Hardware Accelerator video card and the latest drivers

- English version of Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000/XP

- Pentium(R) 4 1.4GHz or AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1700+

- 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)

- DirectX(R) 9.0c (Not included with Demo)

- 100% DirectX(R) 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.

- 100% Windows(R) 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers

- 700 MB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 800MB for Windows(R)

2000/XP swap file)

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not

be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by the Call of Duty(R)

2 Demo. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX(R) 9.0c

compatibility.

This product does not support Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 95/98/ME or NT.

SUPPORTED CHIPSETS:

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 8500

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9000

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9200

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9500

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9600

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9700

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X300

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X550

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X600

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X700

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X800

- ATI(R) Radeon(R) X850

- NVidia(R) Geforce(tm)2 Ultra

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) 3/Ti Series

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) 4/Ti Series

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) FX Series

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) 6 Series

- All NVidia(R) Geforce(tm) 7 series

This PC will NOT support any modern graphics cards, or any graphics cards that will give you the required performance for today's games. It is PCI only. The best PCI video card you can get, if I'm not mistaken is only 32MB, and at that they don't make them anymore. You would have to find someone like me that has several that would send one to you.

However, even that 32MB card will not play any games that are recently out. All the newer games require Texel Shader 2.0 Technology, which only comes in AGP 4X/8X and PCIe(Pci Express, the new standard) video cards.

RAM and sound card upgrades alone are not going to give you what you need. You can have all the RAM in the world, and even the hottest processor going, etc. But if your video isn't even close to the requirements, you aren't going to be playing today's games.

Today's games are highly video adapter dependent, even to the point where you can be light on RAM and have a processor 2-3 generations behind, and still kick ass as long as the video is on par, which you won't be able to even get close enough to boot a modern game.

If you want to play games for the next couple of years, the only choice you have is to bite the bullet, make this workstation a file server, and build a PC. You can build a decent start that you can add to and upgrade as you go for about 1000.00. That will cover a case, mobo, vid card, processor, RAM, PSU, HDD, DVD Writer, and sound card, if you don't opt for onboard sound.

The PC you have however, is doomed as far as gaming goes for anything recent or on the way. There is just no way around it, you are going to need a PC.

If only I wasn't so broke. :(

Thanks for the help guys, wish I could get a new PC, but I don't see it happaning anytime soon. I guess I'm stuck playing GR for the next few years, at least. My dream PC is a Dell XPS. :)

And out of curiosity, how much would you charge for one of those video cards? :unsure:

Edited by BrandonKappel

256 MB video cards are like 250-500 dollars depending on which ones you want. I know the geforce 7800 is almost 500 isnt it?

256 MB video cards are like 250-500 dollars depending on which ones you want. I know the geforce 7800 is almost 500 isnt it?

Yeah, but you can get a 256MB 6800GT from newegg for 200.00.

Yeah, but you can get a 256MB 6800GT from newegg for 200.00.

You can get a Radeon x1600Pro AGP 256MB for 130.