Updating drivers

Foxtrot360

-1. End all other programs and AV , Go to Control Panel, System , Device Manager , Right click on "Radeon 9200 (or whatever is installed)" click properties from the right click menu, then go to uninstall drivers.

I have to do that because for some odd reason, there is no ATI Driver uninstall utility or CCC.

-2. Reboot after the uninstall proccess?, run the Omega ATI Driver utility, install drivers, follow instructions, reboot again, set prefrences, possibly test games.

-3. Pray that nothing screws up.

Did i get it right? I downloaded Omegas ATI Driver program and saved it to both HDDs so it wont be lost. Backed up my other stuff on the other HDD too.

Should this work? Or should i also get the ATI driver cleanup.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running a driver cleaning utility is often suggested, but since you are going from ATi drivers to Omega's ATi drivers (which are merely tweaks of the official ones) you shouldn't really need to.

In other words, sounds like you've got it right.

anytime you uninstall a driver, it uninstalls the device as far as Winblows is concerned. you are on the right track.

Once you uninstall it, shut your PC down for 15 seconds, then reboot. This will clear all traces from memory and cache.

Then reboot and install the Omega's.

Once the Omega's are installed, reboot. You will be good to go. :thumbsup:

okay, do i do the 15 second wait when i install the omegas too?

Update- I was about to do it, but i forgot, in device manager i have two graphics adapters.

Radeon 9200 PRO Family (Microsoft Corporation)

Radeon 9200 PRO SEC Family (Microsoft Corporation)

Do i do it with the SEC too? im pretty sure i dont have integrated video, so is Radeon 9200 PRO SEC Family the OUT on my video card? For TVs/dual monitors etc.?

Edited by Foxtrot23

Okay i have did what i was gonna do and what you guys said.

Thanks, i think the Omegas are working correctly.

Now it appears i have a Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9250 and not an official.

Ive tried one game , im gonna go try the rest, just make sure no big glitches, no crashing, stuff like that.

One thing is for sure, it runs a hell of alot smoother.

Edited by Foxtrot23

Specter do you know what Quick Resolution feature does? Its checked as disable quick resolution feature but i dont know whether to enable it.

FastWrites is off, i heard that should be somewhere unless you had an X700.

Edited by Foxtrot23

Always leave Fastwrites off, unless on a really old machine. fastwrites on can actually cause lock up issues and such.

Disable quick resolution feature: If you have the ATI Taskbar Application enabled, the 'quick resolution feature' provides a menu (when you left-click on the small ATI icon in your system tray) which provides options for changing the color quality (16 and 32 Bits Per Pixel) and your desktop resolution. Once again, this is a relatively useless function, since not many people constantly change their desktop resolution and color quality. Tick this box to disable this feature and free up some system resources, and should you need to, change your color quality and resolution in the ATI Control Panel as usual.

Taken from here.

Fast Writes: This setting, whether in the BIOS or in the Catalyst Control Panel/Control Center (See ATI Control Panel/ATI Control Center sections below), is meant to speed up AGP read performance. In practice however it is known in almost all cases to have no noticeable performance impact, and indeed often causes many problems such as crashes and general system instability, especially on overclocked graphics cards. My personal testing has shown it to have literally 0% impact on performance on several different setups. Therefore I strongly recommend disabling Fast Writes in the BIOS (if available) and also disabling it under SmartGart in the ATI Control Panel/ATI Control Center for optimal stability with little or no performance loss.

Taken from here.

Let me know if you need anything else. :whistle::thumbsup:

Edited by Specter

Well, this is real great. I installed those got up today, played GR, and then i quit, then my resolution went from 1024x768 to the lowest possible resolution (6xx x xxx).

What is the problem now. See, i should have just left it alone.

and whenever i scrolled down on webpage after that it had lines in the browser (FF). when i right click the right click menu comes up very slow.

The resolution in game is the same as the Windows XP resolution setting.

It would stay that way until i restarted.

Specs -

2.40 GHz Pentium 4

Gigabyte Radeon 9250

x2 7200 RPM HDD Seagate Barracuda - Other HDD i havent checked.

CD/RW Drive

DVDROM Drive

PSU - havent checked

Network and 56k Modem (PCI)

Motherboard - havent checked

1 GB RAM (x3, sticks)

Omega ATI Drivers 6.1

Windows XP Proffessional

Im gonna go nuts now. Im so ######.

Edited by Foxtrot23

go to Guru3D, download Driver Cleaner. Uninstall all drivers for your video card.

Then run Driver Cleaner.

then go to your C: drive and make sure their are no ATI folders listed on C:\ or in C:\Program Files. If there are, delete the folders.

Shut your PC down for 15 seconds and restart it.

Install Omega Drivers.

Shutdown and reboot. Set up the settings the way you want them and go from there.

Nope. It is still ######ing up. See, now i have all kinds of problems.. christ.

I havent had the Resolution problem atleast not yet or with this game, but i tried a game 'Sims 2' and after i exit, if i right click, my monitor blinks black two or three times like it does if it is going into a game (I assumed it was adjusting resolution and stuff...), then it goes back to the desktop and the right click menu comes up very very slow and the FF or IE does the line thing again. I get no errors, and i checked the CTRL ALT DELETE and 2% Proccessing speed was used and 128 of 1 Gig of ram being used so it isnt a slowdown.

"Shutdown and reboot." I forgot to do that, i just restarted if that has anything to do with it. I'll go off and try this, YET AGAIN. if that dont fix it im gonna be stressed out forever, this seriously makes me want to cry, because ive been through all these damn computer issues and it all has to do with stupid video cards, i blame ATI for this crap. Whenever GreyHaired Specter or someone knowledgable comes back and replies ill try theyre attempt if i dont solve it by reinstalling ATI drivers again.

The only other thing i can think of is that i forgot to do something but im almost 99% i did everything you said except for the LAST shutdown and reboot line.

I swear, this makes no sense, everytime i install video drivers i have problems. The old ones had problems too, but not this problem. The new driver speed it up a bit and solved the graphics glitches i had in various new games but now i have this problem. I hope this doesent turn into a big mess.

Edited by Foxtrot23

Do you have a spare video card lying around?

I'm starting to get a serious hunch that this is more than a driver problem.

Get with me on Messenger, and let's set up a time when I can remote into your machine and take a look.

Edited by Specter

oh boy.. I feel another giant fun filled year of video problems now. deja vu

no video cards laying around.

This one is new too. I have no crashes or anything, but i do have this problem with these new drivers only.

Gigabyte Radeon 9250 running at x4 in settings... thats the highest available.. Video/ Mobo restriction?

DX and Device manager, no errors detected in anything besides LAN/Network (Disabled them)

I should probably try GR or another game to insure its not a possible game error too.

Edited by Foxtrot23