1911 Fans and Owners

Ruin

jchung, Glocks are the only 10mm firearm I know of that lets cases rupture at the head.  I wouldn't mind a loose chambered rifle so much, but see as that gas will be funneled between my two hands, it's not a nice thought.

Yeah, hot gases on your hands is never a nice thought, but even with the Glock, other than the "gas" issue (excuse the wording) it really is not a real "danger".

@Ruin

I think for a limited time, all .45ACP XDs will come with the $79 package. I've been considering one myself. I'm trying to excercise some restraint as I just recently made a purchase.

BTW, what kind of truck did you put the Flowmasters on?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who will sell to me at virtually his cost., I'm not sure what he's making but I know he'll offer me a very fair price every time.

Impact has some good prices, there are also sites like Gun Broker which is basically FFL's without a brick and mortar store selling firearms, you'll just need a local FFL dealer who can take delivery for you ($30 usualy).

It's all about MSRP and what you are willing to pay for it. most places can't advertise prices lower than the MSRP due to agreements with the Manfacturer, however they will sell for less if you ask, and often do. But I think that Rooks rule of 80% is decent. They do still need to make money.

If you're lucky you might get a gun for 70-75% of the MSRP. I did. (It was 70% before tax. 75% after tax.)

I know of people who've gotten even better deals, but reallistically I don't think you're going to do much better than 70%.

All that being said, 85% is generally about right. Just hope that you find someone who is overstocked. :D

@ Rook: Nice gun. :thumbsup:

BTW, what kind of truck did you put the Flowmasters on?

86 Bronco II... not too much noise with that 2.9L, but it was a start. Now my new(ish) one just is lacking a muffler all together. I like the noise, but I'm too broke to get it replaced, haha. Not an immediate need.

@Whisper,

So does $30 seem about what an FFL would charge you to ship a gun to him (assuming he's not your friend, but a store)? How do you get an FFL? I'm sure it takes quite a bit, but I haven't been able to figure this out... it's got me curious as to what these guys go through to get it.

No, the $30 is what your FFL charges to do the paperwork and background check to let you have the firearm. Think of it as courtesy pay for him, otherwise he'd be doing paperwork for nothing... but I'd still say $20 for transfers is about right. Some dealers will rape people on those prices, especially if they're the only game in town. Shipping will usually be included in the price or about $20 extra. This is why it's sometimes better just to have a local dealer order you something rather than order off the net.

As for possessing an FFL, it's a pain anymore. Used to anyone could do it (both my uncles used to have one) but the ATF did a crack down over a decade ago and put a lot of restrictions on it. You now have to essentially have a store front with posted hours and be an actual business to get one, along with all the paperwork and record keeping. Some cities also have 'nice' zoning laws that screw you out of using your home as the place of business for a gun store, but federally it's legal.

Whisper, those prices for the GI and XD wouldn't happen to be that friend you put me in touch with would it? I'd just about jump on the GI price right now.

Rook, thanks for the info...serves me right for not checking my gun dealer on regular basis. I'll have to check for HS2000 45ACP availbility and prices here in Croatia...also not sure what should I do with my 9mm...sell it or keep it. (I really love the gun and would actually hate to sell it.) Right now I'm burning all my extra cash on accessories for my VN800 Classic, so 45 will have to wait...but I'll get it, eventually :devil: