Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crimson

Dumb Question

Will an Athlon XP processor work with Windows 2000 Professional?

Also, if I want to buy a CPU fan, how do I figure out how big it can be, demension wise?

Edited by Crimson

Will an Athlon XP processor work with Windows 2000 Professional?

The XP in AXP and the XP in WinXP are in no way related. It will work fine with any Windows after 3.1.

Yes Crimson, the updated stuff will work too. And yes, AMD XP processor will work with both Windows 2000 and Windows XP :P I'm running...well, see my sig. No issues at all, and a very stable OS as well...I think it's the best OS Microsloth has released. Let us know if you need any more help with assembling your new toys. :hehe:

Thanks for helping me out guys. I have a friend that builds computers, so im sure he'll be glad to teach me how to do it. :rocky:

It should be no problem Crimson. You can always get a different power supply to install later. The 480W Antec TruePower PS that I am using can be had for about $100 if you search around for it. It also has leds in the fans that add a nice blue glow.

Crimson, here's the deal: Anything an Intel cpu can do, an AMD one can as well. So just go the affordable route and use an AMD cpu.

As for psus, if they say P4 power supply, it means the additional special connector required for the P4 mbs is included. AMD just uses the mb connector to power its cpus (like all pre-P4 cpus did), so basicly any 300w (at least) or more powerful psu will work, P4 ready or not.

WhiteKnight, I believe the one with blue leds is another version with a slightly different name, and they charge you a little more for the leds as well.

Yeah, I know RooK, im an AMD guy myself. If you didnt notice, Ill be upgrading to an Athlon XP 2100+. :wub: