New England Barn Raising

SAWmonger

This summer my wife and I cut and raised a 24'x36' timber frame barn:

cut_timbers.jpg

We were joined by 40 friends and neighbors on raising day:

workingmen.jpg

In the old days we would have had 140 men come and raise the frame by hand, but these days it's all about having a BHC - "Big Honking Crane"

crane.jpg

Two days later, the completed frame is up:

finishedframe.jpg

Shell shocked us during the first day, overwhelmed with gratitude for all the people that volunteered to work and sweat for two 12 hour days:

shell_shocked.jpg

Nice job there Monger, my GF's uncle owns a timber framing business in NH (drewsville) Saw mill and the works..

Looking like you all had some good fun :thumbsup:

Yeah, we really did. Despite the hard work there were moments when I looked around and saw people just laughing and smiling. There were only a couple of us there that really knew what we were doing. Everyone else just dove in wherever they were needed.

Our road is populated with a hugely diverse population and it was great to see everyone working for a common good. One of the people there said that differences don't matter when there's real work to be done. Interesting thought.

We're in the process of getting the frame enclosed and buttoned up before winter (what am I talking about? It's 21 December and 20 F out there today with 8 inches of snow on the ground: it is winter. :wall:) and then finishing in the spring.

We wouldn't live anywhere else. City is not for us.

When you all are done with that I have a project you guys can work on here. :devil:

It's great to still hear about barn raisings. How a community comes together and they don't expect payment, it's all about just helping. :yes:

The pride everyone has in "our" barn is outstanding. A couple of weeks after the raising one of the guys on our road brought some friends down one afternoon so he could show them what he had helped with. He reminded me of a kid showing his friends the cool thing he had been a part of.

People said they wouldn't have missed the opportunity to experience at leisure what our ancestors did for survival.

Incidentally, building a timber frame barn wasn't just for the challenge. We wanted a structure that mirrored our house which was built in 1790 and is built in the same way. Major difference being the house timbers were all shaped by hand. Some of our floor joists are tree trunks with one side flattened for the floorboards. They still have bark on them!

• 9 months later...