PC Reborn again

Foxtrot360

Okay, well went to the PC Shop , bought a 55$ case with a light and room for more fans a window and ALOT more space in it. Anyway little did i know when i came back the GOOD pc guy stuck a new ABIT Motherboard in it , a SB Live! , Yamaha CD Burner (yay!) , DVD drive , and even floppy , he made sure i had no remnince of my old pc. Anyhow of course i get it home , windows works fine , i fiddle with trying to get BIN files to work (whole nother subject trying to get them to work.) anyway it was about 5 hours , and then , while the pc was idle (or either i was doing something in windows) the pc shutsdown, case lights turn off, and i cant get it to turn back on. Sound familiar? well i reset the PSU and try to turn it on. for a split second i hear the fans start and the case light lights up. then it shuts down and cant get it back on. any thoughts on the problem? Its basically a new pc all over again (and there goes my theory about it being cursed, all old parts and the case are gone).

Note- i'd also like to note the new motherboard (which has 5-6 PCI slots woot!) is full size ATX and i doubt theres heating problems in this case...

Now i only paid 58$ but it ###### me off that it worked and it wants to screw me over in a brand new pc. oh, and I watched the PC guy put it together, i didnt see any BS.

Guess my PSU broke again? (5th time wow a world record??)

Note for people who know the backstory of all this ;) , the other guy that royally screwed me over got fired :D

Edited by Fragbox

lol... but it would be a waste off all ive bought >:{ (2000$ worth of games), 60 dollars of CHRISTMAS money, all the online stuff, oh and id like to let you know its a specific curse , i have problems in no other areas (lol i can get anything else i want, and even if it breaks it dont break like a computer does :[ ill take it back , just cause i think i wont have to pay for it..)

and umm, without a Gaming PC , my life is boring , i have nothing to do , i get up for nothing (im dead serious..)

Edited by Fragbox

wow man seriously you got the worste computer problems iv seen. Worse then Stalker Zero wich is pretty bad.

I would either give up, or give up with that pc shop.... Might be worth it to learn to build your own machine from scratch just so you know what your doing.

And put some good research into what your buying, not like goto new egg and look at reviews, Just go every where and look for user comments on the products.

I'd have given up if i wasnt getting it fixex for close to nothing or for free...

For that 55$ i got a

ABIT KX7-333 motherboard

Soundblaster LIVE! audio card

a 55$ full ATX case (White with some lights on front and a left side window)

Yamaha (Isnt that good???) CD-RW

DVD ROM Drive

Floppy A:/ Drive

a 450w PSU

i think its new ram but im not sure (still 512 MB)

the only 2 things that are not new is the Proccessor and HDD

Which is a 1.53 GHz AMD Athlon XP and a Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD

Motherboard Specs- Review Clickhere

If i decide to give up, ill sell you guys alot of games for 10$ each lol i got 60 games.

and no i aint switching pc shops, its never gonna happen so dont tell me that anymore. (unless i find REAL proof of this being the cause, i mean i WATCHED him do everything!)

Edited by Fragbox

yeah yeah to be honest that probably wont happen any time soon. id rather have a low end system than something that will be outdated the next six months.

the do it myself thing is fine but until this is fixed i aint messing with it.

looks like i might just save up for airsoft instead (but thats because gaming is ###### me off with having to upgrade all the time + my pc never got fixed since the last upgrade.)(oh hey you dont have to upgrade your girlfriend every 6 months... lmao)

Why go to SLI when i might even then have problems?? phhh... if it does happen expect another year or so. Now i thought i might have got a new AMD Athlon FX + SLI system but i dont have as much money as expected :\.

Edited by Fragbox

yea if i was going to blow like 1500 $ id wait untill vista came out and the newer products support it.

maybe the AMD X2 cpus go down in price by then.

just messing around on new egg.

Case: Cooler Master Centurion

PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 400Watt

Mobo: A8N-SLI Premium

CPU: AMD64 3800+

Memory: 2x512mb (DDR400) Corsair XMS Memory

HardDrive: 74GB WD Raptor Hard Drive.

DVD: Lite-ON IDE DVD/CD R+RW

$1403 shipped where I live. So many little things you could change to get a cheaper price too.

Edited by Prozac360

Well, im looking for a solution? not much here but people encouraging me to burn my pc, buy a new pc (which will probably have considerably bad problems too) and spend money i dont have (i mean i really dont have)..

Noone knows why the damn PC probably does this? Ill look at what GreyHaired said but i have my doubts and it was standing between 2 solid seats in transit to my home.. ( dont forget it worked for 5 hours before messing uo , as usual.

I dont know about where you live, but there are no good PC shops locally for gaming, they dont know jack ###### about gaming hardware and setting up systems for it.

PC shop i worked for a short time, the guy bassicly bought CPU/mobo packages... generic ram generic harddrives, slapped them into a case and sold them by the dozen.

Anytime I talk to any of the local shops it seems like they all start to choke on their tongue. More worried about making another "sale" then trying to find somthing you want for the best price.

Edited by Prozac360

its gotten to the stage where people here cant help you if they cant actually go and pick up your computer and look at it.

You cant just rely on some guys on a public computer games forum to fix your computer for you.

So basically you have a PC that doesn't work?

No lights, no fans, no nothing? First thing to do is check all the connections are tight in. If they are then take out the power supply and do this: http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/atx_...ods/index.shtml and see if it fires up. If it does, then double check the connections again. And then a third time. If it still doesn't work, strip the computer down to the bare essentials to make it boot, motherboard, cpu and power supply. If it beeps and stuff then add one component at a time and wait until it fails.

If you aren't confident doing this sort of stuff, don't. Don't blame me if you mess it up, I'm just giving advice as to what I would do.

It powers up , 2 seconds, powers off, i know this because the monitor light goes green (out of amber) (im pretty sure), Case lights flick on , fans and exaust fan spin, and i THINK the CD and DVD came on but im not sure. And thanks to anyone that gave me useful imput (Rocky, KRP, magnumkp, GreyHaired). And the PC makes all that general boot up noise i think. And i didnt mean to sound like an ###### , it must have came out wrong. I just meant if anyone had a clue or theory or anything.

and yes the shop has built gaming computers(which work and are on display), and sell high end hardware, so no i gaurentee it isnt the damn shop!

Edited by Fragbox

Like Dannik says.

That's why I asked if it would power up at all.

Possible reasons:

a) too much thermal paste (I've tried that myself and took me two hours to find out as it was the last thing that could come to mind)

b) too little or none thermal paste (cpu will work but not recommendable)

c) cpu fan out of place or installed incorrectly.

If the cpu fan is to be reinstalled, then first clean both the bottom of it and the core of your AMD processor. Use nailpolish remover or other non-oily (!) cleaning liquid.

Apply a "drop" of thermal paste in the middle of the AMD processor, the pressure of the heatsink will spread it.

Install the heatsink and hopefully: "there you go".

WELL, i just looked in the case (hopefully opening the case and looking inside doesent damage components :( ) and well its a 350w PSU , here we go again.

350 Watt PSU - Tiger Pro PSU (Which i dont think will handle a sound card (SB LIVE) , video card (Radeon 9250) , HDD , ATX Motherboard (ABIT KX7), , CD Burner (Yamaha) , DVD ROM , Modem ,and PC case lights.

AMPerages -

+3.3v 14a

+5v 35a

+12v 17a

-5V 0.5a

+5vSB 2a

I bet it sucks..

I checked into other possibilites , CPU heatsink looks intact to me(still could be loose i supposed)... , feels like it too, it isnt shaking. fan too . all cables look fine (didnt look to see if it was burnt or anything but i dont think it is.) all that crap. anyway ill try not to say its that the problem without fully solving ( PSU could be not the problem, could be something else like what you guys said or a wire , something simple or something got loose.)

and i swear if its damaged because i just checked to make sure hardware is in motherboard good (all i did was GENTLY press on the cards , modem ,sound card , video to see if they were in tight) and because i wasnt "grounded" (where i should touch the PSU or some crap with static) im gonna give up. im gonna straight up tell him to take it and throw it in the damn trash.

Edited by Fragbox