Ghost Recon.net Forums
swartsz

[cant see flash advertisements in IE]

I hope anyone can help me with this annoying problem i am having with Internet Explorer. For example i can not see the advertisement on the frontpage of gr.net ( the one below the Avatar project ) or like the one on the frontpage of gamespy.com. When i hit the back button it tries to reload the ad again and i have to hit it again to go back where i came from.

I have the latest Flash and Shockwave players and Iframes are enabled.

Does anyone know how this fix this?

Hmm, that is a bit of a mystery, as the advert above the avataar project is also flash, but you can see it?

Hmm, that is a bit of a mystery, as the advert above the avataar project is also flash, but you can see it?

i can see the one above the avataar project, but with the one below the avataar i just get a Page not found where the ad should be, same with lots of other websites.

Do you have one of those so-called 'internet security suites' installed/active? Your issue sounds like some app preventing the display of images that link to third party sites.

The only ones i have active all the time are the Sygate firewall and McAfee 2004 antivir.

It's possible that one (or both) of those problems are being useful by blocking ads for you.

I never used to see the "Advertise with us" on the front page of google, which was a pain as I had to check some adword spending one evening. Eventually realised it was TweakXP blocking it.

The only ones i have active all the time are the Sygate firewall and McAfee 2004 antivir.

Try de-activating your McAfee and then check the front page.

I have tried watching the frontpage with both my Mcafee and firewall turned of but i still get the Page cannot be found page instead of the normal ad.

also tried it with the Windows popup blocker turned of but still i get the same problem.

I guess this will remain a mystery, also have been asking around on other forums but it seems noone knows the asnwer to this annoying problem.

It has been solved!!!! thanks to a good friend and collegue of mine.

It has to do with a file called Hosts in my system32 folder, it connected all the sites where the ads come from with my local host IP ( 127.0.0.1 )

by deleting all these lines from that file, i am again able to view all the ads!!

:D

does anybody know which programs are allowed to add lines to that file?

typically it's a malicous program that writes a redirect to the hosts file, but that's usually so you are directed to a website that they have chosen, never blocking advertisements, perhaps it was a setting from one of the firewall apps?