The Optimus Keyboard

Dan

:blink: Thats one cool keyboard. Looks like the thing is gonna into turn into a uhhh a Transformer, punch you in the mouth and exit through the wall of your house or something... :lol: Edited by Arms

I won't say they are "taking over"

There are loads of programs on the market, "RivaTuner" for one, they managed to overclock processors by finding out which two out of that many pins, to connect on certain versions of AMD cpus.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/ is one of several recognized "Russian" sites.

......and that's a nice keyboard. Following their principles their release the SDK, nothing secret about it.

And "No", I'm not Russian but I'm in favour of this competiton as it's contributing to the benefit of all of us.

GH

Edit: there's always an opposite...........although it's different "hardware" so to speak.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1370648,00.html

an awsome interview Artemy Lebedev, the master mind behind the Optimus.

C: Where did you come up with the idea?

Artmey Lebedev: I've always hated the idea of "dead feedback" from regular keyboards. I thought of Optimus prototype while I was in school 15 years ago.

TC: Is this a new technology, or something that pre-existed and you adapted to fit your needs?

Art: Technology is existing, logic is sort of new.

TC: What is the technology involved exactly (without giving away any trade secrets of course!!)?

Art: When I say OLED I don't give any secret away :-)

TC: How long has it taken to see the final product?

Art: We expect early prototypes this autumn.

TC: The Question 'How long has it taken to see the final product?' Was more of, how long have you been actually working on it?

Art: For about four years.

TC: Is that (in the pictures) a working model/prototype?

Art: This is so called 3D prototype.

TC: You say you expect prototypes in Autumn, but then what is in the pictures?

Art: These are 3D rendered images. I know we're good at this.

TC: What is the Size? (of the Optimus)

Art: Slightly wider than the standard keyboards. You may compare it with old SUN keyboards.

TC: How Heavy?

Art: We don't know that yet. But weight should not be a matter, since this keyboard was not designed to be wireless (we did not intend to supply it with notebook batteries :-)

TC: To address the question of weight more specifically, what I meant was, compared to keyboards today, let's say a Logitech corded keyboard, is the Optimus heavier because of all the extra parts?

Art: I believe Optimus will be heavier. But you table won't crack :-)

TC: How durable will it be/is it?

Art: We keep in mind 4-5 years lifespan.

TC: Is it Waterproof/Spill Proof?

Art: We will sell coffee cup holder to be attached to the table leg separately. Because we don't plan to make this keyboard coke-proof in order to lower the production cost.

TC: I guess I didn't make myself clear... What I meant is more like, since there are all these little 'video' screens and lots more circuits, what sort of protective measures will you be using?

Art: Well... try to pour coffee into your monitor. Not all the things on Earth have to be THAT foolproof.

TC: Is it wired, how long is wire (usb or ps2 interface)?

Art: It will sport an USB port so that users will be able to find longer cable if needed.

TC: Will there be a wireless version or is there?

Art: Not yet.

TC: What will be the pixel count of the display images? (Image Quality etc.)

Art: 32x32 pixels as of now.

TC: Can the keys be programmed to make an entire image from the keys? Sort of a mosaic type image?

Art: Sure.

TC: Are you going to have like a screensaver type thing that when you walk away from your computer the keys can form some custom image, or maybe even an advertisement!

Art: Your idea is to call it a screen-saver. We call it a key-saver.

TC: What kind of key covering are you going to use to prevent scratching/rubbing making the images not visible anymore?

Art: We use polycarbonate keys.

TC: What will the keys 'feel' like? are they the soft touch type, or 'springy' type etc?

Art: The keys will feel like on an Apple Extended keyboard II, I hope.

TC: Will you be offering pre-programed keysets (games/applications etc)?

Art: For sure.

TC: How much power does it use?

Art: That's currently unknown.

TC: Can the height be adjusted?

Art: We thought about that. But it will depend on prototype testing - we're not sure about viewing angles.

TC: Any other options going to be made available, like removable palm rest, different colors etc?

Art: In the future.

TC: Why do consumers need it (in your own words)?

Art: Because they understand they can't live without it the very moment they realize what our concept is about.

taken from here:

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/beta/home.php?x=articles&id=10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...